Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 04:29:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My mother has BPD  (Read 364 times)
lovie
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: mother

« on: November 15, 2020, 10:14:15 AM »

About three years ago my parents split up and this understandably made my mothers BPD worse. When my dad left i was the one to deal with the brunt of her disorder and therefore we went from having close relationship to not having one at all. I ended up leaving home because i felt i could not deal with it anymore and she was not accepting the help she was being given. Many things were said and done that i don't think i can bring myself to forgive nor do i think we will ever have a relationship that was the same as before everything went wrong. After i left she made attempts to contact me to reconcile, as did i, however it goes round in circles and we can never get along because she can be very volatile because of her disorder. This has an impact on me by making me feel upset, stressed and even depressed. However after not speaking to her for a year she has recently got in contact with me and asked if we can sort our issues out. I am unsure as what to do and was wondering if any advice could be given? She has a new life now with another man and children therefore I'm wondering if that could've changed her?
beatricex

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 06:46:40 AM »

Hi lovie,
you said  "This has an impact on me by making me feel upset, stressed and even depressed."

I totally understand this feeling and am always trying to find an escape.

It is possibe your mom has changed.  With my BPD'd mom, she has made some changes, and I read that a significant life change (like the divorce from your Dad and a new relationship) can change a personality disordered person.  This is actually the only thing that will change them, I read, a significant life change (ie death, divorce, etc).

Please let me know if you reach out to her how it went.

((lovie) a big virutal hug for you, you are very brave
b
Blue Elephant

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 06:48:21 AM »

I can definitely relate and just made my first post about my mother as well.
I agree with the other comment that it is possible that your mom has made some type of positive lifestyle shift, but you need to do what's right for you. If you think you'll have trouble setting and respecting your own boundaries in a relationship, I would say to give it a lot of thought before making any decisions and take things slowly. A relationship would be nice to have so long as it's not detrimental to your health.
Best of luck and take care of yourself.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest