Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 12:10:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do I keep doing it  (Read 351 times)
Foolish man

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: November 19, 2020, 01:52:10 PM »

Hi
Why do I keep getting caught in the trap, you think you are strong, your managing it , the boundaries are there. Then you get pulled right back in and before you know it , back to where you started.
Would really like to know how others manage to keep strong, whilst still being caring and considerate.
We have a 16 week old baby so no contact is not an option, and I don’t want to parallel parent as I would miss out on so much, especially at these early stages.
I need to be around to see what carnage she is causing, so how do I keep that from effecting me so much.
Any ideas would be gratefully received
Legalalien94

Relationship status: Complicated

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 02:41:16 PM »

It’s hard, I have a 2 year old with my ex who has BPD. You try to set boundaries and they are constantly crossed and it often seems like a one way street.
The balance between communicating about the child and getting to involved is very tricky.
I have had to massively lower my expectations, I also practice a lot of mindfulness and anchoring.
What keeps me going is that l want to provide that stable relationship and home for them as they grow up away from the chaos.
MrRight

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 07:31:54 AM »

Hi
Why do I keep getting caught in the trap, you think you are strong, your managing it , the boundaries are there. Then you get pulled right back in and before you know it , back to where you started.
Would really like to know how others manage to keep strong, whilst still being caring and considerate.
We have a 16 week old baby so no contact is not an option, and I don’t want to parallel parent as I would miss out on so much, especially at these early stages.
I need to be around to see what carnage she is causing, so how do I keep that from effecting me so much.
Any ideas would be gratefully received

You are at the start of a long long road - one I have been on for 18 years and on the verge of escaping permanently.

Can you give any examples of the "carnage" she is likely to cause? Is it likely to affect your child?
Foolish man

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 12:26:26 PM »

Hi thanks for the replies
The carnage usually is around money or other men or personal relationships.
We have been split for about 7 weeks now and she is already on to fella 2. Unfortunately is is someone I know, but not very well.
He is already spending a lot of time around at hers and stays over.
So far there are no issues , there was with the first one almost immediately. I guess my concern is that this won’t last , then we are onto the next and next and what influence that will have on my son.
If I am honest at the moment she is doing well with the baby, he is well looked after and I have told her so. I can only hope this continues.
And if I’m really honest, I don’t like the fact that there is another fella around. I am trying to detach my feelings, are they jealousy then I should stop or is it a real concern going forward
My brain is a bit mixed up at the moment.
We communicate well and again for that I am grateful.
So it seems from the outside that all is going well, and maybe I am worrying too much and being too involved.
Perhaps I should try better and looking at my emotions and the reasons for them and setting my boundaries without feelings being involved
FindingMe2011
a.k.a. *BeenThereB4*

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 02:50:02 PM »

For me, it was never really moving past where we started. Its just what I wanted to believe, so this is what I saw.

Eat, sleep, and exercise for starters. Maybe get some counseling. I would also suggest understanding different ways to communicate. Understanding yourself will go along ways, as to not take personally, what others may say or do.

I would agree, this would limit the options...I had 14 yr marriage, 2 children, with divorce at ages 10 &12. I then found out, I was a much better parent outside the r/s, than in... With this being said, it appears the better you can communicate, the better for your child. It will be frustrating at times and always a work in progress. But not impossible. You may find some insight on the Bettering relationship board. What exactly are you looking for, with the r/s?

And if I’m really honest, I don’t like the fact that there is another fella around. I am trying to detach my feelings, are they jealousy then I should stop or is it a real concern going forward
My brain is a bit mixed up at the moment.

A child together 16 weeks ago. A split up 7 weeks ago, and 2 relationships since then. I would imagine, I might also be a bit confused.

Perhaps I should try better and looking at my emotions and the reasons for them and setting my boundaries without feelings being involved

The reasons for your emotions, is where the healing is. Its a process and for me, the hardest, yet most gratifying accomplishment.

The carnage usually is around money or other men or personal relationships.

Money this point appears to be child support, so not really sure, this should create carnage. I suggest you find another outlet for your frustrations. Your child will appreciate this in some capacity, im fairly certain.
BPD will see this as an attack (persecutor) from you. You have placed them into the victim position. This scenario will assure the illness seeks out a rescuer. Karpman Triangulation and a staple of mental illness. It proves the illness correct and repeats like clockwork. The order to the disorder.

I am trying to detach my feelings, are they jealousy then I should stop or is it a real concern going forward

Do you believe its jealousy ? Does it appear to be a concern for you, going forward? Do you have a plan moving forward? Co parenting with BPD is difficult but not impossible. I wish you well, Peace

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest