Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 04:19:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I was blocked everywhere. Was I the wrongdoer? And many other doubts.  (Read 796 times)
Nichelangelo

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: broken up

« on: January 03, 2021, 10:48:53 PM »

Hey!  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)
My ex (a 15 year old female, quiet borderline, diagnosed & untreated) blocked me everywhere (less than a week ago) after some particular events. We were on a long distance relationship for 8 months.
Before talking about this last breakup, I think it's relevant to point out she had already proposed breaking up, a few months ago, after we had a discussion on which I defended that it's possible for a racist to be a good person. I had told her that's possible as long as the racist person didn't do any harm to society, and did good things such as donating to charity, etc. However, she defended that racists were always horrible people no matter what. On this discussion (in fact, when we discussed it was always like this) there was no name-calling. No threats. No offenses. Nothing of the such. We focused 100% on stating our arguments. After the debate, she said that she had to leave for a while, and when she came back she told me she wanted to breakup. I asked her if it was because of our discussion, and she responded no. She said it was because she was an immature person who wasn't ready for a relationship, and that she appreciated me a lot and everything we did together but just couldn't go on with it anymore, and that she would be saving me from further pain by going away.
Well, I didn't accept that (was I wrong here?) and told her that if she didn't want to continue the relationship, that's because she was unsatisfied with something that I was doing, or there was a problem we didn't discuss before. And if she was unsatisfied with something, she should tell me what that is and we should try to solve the problem before she just leaves. She insisted that I wasn't the problem, but that she was.
[Note: What I told her was just a reminder of an agreement we had made before, several times. What I mean by this is that *almost everyday*, before we went to sleep, I told her "remember, if you're unsatisfied with something, communicate it transparently so we can try to solve the problem together before breaking up." And she would always tell me there're no problems, and that I should do the same to her if I intended to breakup.] This made me feel secure that she wouldn't just abruptly end the relationship out of nowhere and just disappear.
After insisting that she didn't have a strong argument to leave the relationship, she decided to stay. But I still didn't think that things were alright, since she wanted to leave before. So I asked her "listen, you wanted to leave before. Are there problems you're holding back? I need you to be transparent about your dissatisfactions, so we see together if we can do something about them, and then we can have a healthy relationship". Well, she just responded that she was having a "borderline crisis" at that moment and that I shouldn't be worried about it. I eventually accepted this response of hers and just reminded her it's important to be transparent on a relationship. And I told her to promise me (again) she would engage into problem solving with me before ending the relationship. She happily agreed to this.
A few months go by, and we come to the actual breakup event. Before getting into details, I think it's important to mention that she. did. not. complain. about. anything. during. this. period. Not a single word about dissatisfactions, about what we should improve, about what I was doing wrong. Nothing. Well, the following sequence of events led her to breaking up with me:
She had called me to watch a video with her. It was a video of a feminist complaining about the abuse she had suffered on the hands of other men, and advising men to rethink their masculinity. After the video ended, my ex asked me what was my opinion on the video. I told her I empathize with that woman's suffering, but I didn't agree with the idea that most men are bad (my ex had defended this idea before we were dating, and dropped it after I asked her for evidence such as statistics. She was stubborn to drop it, and went as far as to say "I do confess it's a bad idea because it doesn't have statistics, but I still believe on it. It's a bad idea which I believe in." Well, after insisting that this idea lacked logic, she dropped it).
Back to the video event: after I told her I didn't agree with the idea that most men are bad, she said things which resembled this idea, but didn't explicitly say it. I kept sending a bunch of texts defending why that generalization was unfounded. Well, I was a bit annoyed by the unclarity of her position, and told her "listen, do you think that most men are bad? If you think so, let's breakup then".
I know that's wrong. I immediately changed my mind and told her we didn't have to breakup because of that, but she responded she wanted to breakup anyway, and that there would be no turning back this time. I asked her why she wanted to breakup, and she gave a bunch of reasons.
She said she didn't feel comfortable to express herself, because (according to her) I would get angry if she did. She said she stopped talking to people because I disliked them. She said she couldn't talk to/about other boys, because I would get enraged. She said I get angry when she refuses to spend time with me. And that she was just gonna block me everywhere. She had sent all of this on a single text. So, she was determined to block me everywhere instantly, so I told her "wait a second, let me send you one last text". She responded "go on".
On this last text of mine I just asked her to clarify each one of the accusations she was making there. Because I swear to God, she never complained about anything to me. She never stated her needs on the relationship. And there're accusations she made which simply don't seem to make sense at all. She told me she stopped talking to people that I dislike. But I didn't dislike anyone? I didn't dislike her friends, I never told her I disliked someone she had contact with. I never called her names for talking to other people, I never threatened her, I never told her to stop talking to people. I *never* tried to control anything that she did, and I could've done that since she gave me the password of her account (which I never accessed either). 
But each time I was jealous, I told her that I was jealous. I read on several websites tips on how to deal with jealousy on relationships, and I found a common tip there: Be open to your partner about your jealousy. Talk to him/her about it. And so I did, and each time I felt jealous I would tell my ex that I was feeling jealous but that she didn't have to cut contact with anyone. And I told her I would get less jealous (and this happened) over time. In fact, weeks before we broke up, she told me I had improved a lot in terms of jealousy. I made it clear to her that she could talk to whoever she wanted.
So, I put this on the text. I told her she could have any friends she wanted. I told her I never impeded her of having contact with anyone. I told her to be more specific on her claim (and not only on that claim) that I get angry over she refusing to spend time with me, because I don't recall being angry about that at all. I told her to clarify each of her statements (told her to pick examples, since our texts are saved on our chat, she could just put the words there on the historic search), because we had never discussed any of that before and in fact I didn't even know she was having those problems. I told her that maybe she misunderstood some emotion of mine, since we practically only spoke by texting, and texts are easy to be misunderstood. What did she do? She read my message, didn't respond to any point I made, and just blocked me everywhere.
Now, I'm seriously confused about what happened there. Was I automatically devalued after I proposed the breakup, even though I changed my mind immediately? Did she split me black because of the discussion about most men being bad? Do quiet borderlines have a problem with communicating dissatisfaction on a relationship? Did she mistakenly think I was enraged on the moments I told her I was jealous? Are borderlines prone to misinterpreting "emotions on texts"?
It's worth noting that she did stop talking to a bunch of people after we started dating. But I didn't ask her to do any of that. In fact, days before we broke up, I had realized how she isolated herself (especially from male friends) and I told her that she could have male friends, and that I would never stop her at all from having them. I felt the necessity of telling this to her at that point, because I was afraid she was isolating herself because of me. Well, she responded "if you were prohibiting me from talking to male friends, I would have broken up with you long ago". That message of hers put me into a state of full tranquility that day, because after reading it I thought "well, good, she isn't isolating herself because of me then."
I reminded her of this conversation we had, on that last text before the block, and I had even asked her if she wanted me to pick the messages we'd exchanged there.
She felt smothered throughout our relationship, right? But considering I had never called her names, I had never threatened her nor any of the such, wouldn't it have been fair if she just told me she was longing for more communication with others? I made it 100% clear on my last text that she could talk to whoever she wanted, and that if I felt jealous, that would be natural but she wouldn't need to cease contact with anyone because of it. Or really, would it have been a better decision of mine if I just pretended to not be jealous at all? Isn't transparency of feelings good, after all?
She was also very reluctant to engage on philosophical discussions, which made me eventually cease discussing philosophical questions with her. Are borderlines prone to taking those discussions personally, even if there's no name calling/offenses/ad hom on the debate?
If she was feeling smothered, why didn't she open up to me about it, so we could fix problems together? Does her condition make her prone to not opening up, to not communicating problems with transparency?
As soon as I started dating her, I had made a research on what borderline is about. Most articles were describing traditional borderlines (I only learned the difference between traditional borderlines and quiet borderlines after the breakup), so I thought it would be perfect if I was open about my jealousy to her, since (I presumed) she would not be afraid of being abandoned if I did so. And I'm sure I expressed myself on a healthy way, by always making sure I was not restricting anything that she did, nor name-calling her or attacking her because of that. In fact, she blocked me, but didn't block her ex (she was still into him before I appeared) that she dated in 2019, a guy that made use of abusive language and was emotionally avoidant.
What's the logic? And I would still go back with her if she texted me again (I think I made that clear to her).
Thanks for the attention. I know there're many questions, I don't demand an answer to all of them... otherwise it would be just exhaustive. But is there just a bit of light on this entire mess? Thanks a lot.
  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

grumpydonut

Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 11:34:27 PM »

Hi and welcome, Nichelangelo.

Excerpt
She said she didn't feel comfortable to express herself, because (according to her) I would get angry if she did.

I'm unaware of how knowledgeable you are on BPD, but consider yourself a surrogate for one or both of her parents. She couldn't express herself to her parents without anger and, since you are a replacement for her to live out her childhood trauma, she projects their behaviour onto you. It hasn't nothing to do with logic, rather it is purely emotional.

Excerpt
She felt smothered throughout our relationship, right?

Yes, and this isn't your fault. It's nice that you notice you get jealous and want to work on it - which will help future relationships - but it isn't why she felt smothered.

Excerpt
Does her condition make her prone to not opening up, to not communicating problems with transparency?

Yes. She fears showing you her true self will lead to you rejecting her (fear of abandonment). Thus, a borderline expects you to know what they want without having to ask. And you will be punished or secretly despised (split black, devalued) when you don't.

Excerpt
What's the logic?

BPD is an attachment disorder where the person moves between fear of abandonment and fear of engulfment. If you're not close enough, they fear you're leaving them (abandonment) and either cling or withdraw. If you get too close, they fear they will lose their identity (engulfment) and thus they withdraw.

It sounds like the latter is what happened here.
Nichelangelo

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 11:12:42 AM »

Hey grumpydonut,
What you said was extremely clarifying. Thanks a lot.
grumpydonut

Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 06:48:48 PM »

Great to hear. You're welcome.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 04:01:55 AM »

your styles may have been off. the debate about racists was probably just one manifestation of that.

Excerpt
Well, I didn't accept that (was I wrong here?) and told her that if she didn't want to continue the relationship, that's because she was unsatisfied with something that I was doing, or there was a problem we didn't discuss before. And if she was unsatisfied with something, she should tell me what that is and we should try to solve the problem before she just leaves. She insisted that I wasn't the problem, but that she was.

ive been in similar positions before.

breaking up is hard to do. its usually harder to be on the receiving end of. the natural inclination is to feel caught off guard, to argue on behalf of the relationship...to make the case for it.

but the person doing the breaking up has typically made up their mind. some of the reasons may be deep. some of them may be shallow. it may be any combination of the two. ive been dumped for what seemed like (and the reasons given) shallow reasons, and then realized ultimately we werent a good fit for a variety of reasons. maybe they knew at the time, maybe they didnt, maybe it was a gut feeling.

its hard to communicate, regardless, and the emotionally easiest, and frankly kindest way to break up with someone is to tell them "its not you. its me".

Excerpt
She said she didn't feel comfortable to express herself,

i heard this from every girl i ever dated and i thought it was unreasonable. im not a particularly intimidating guy. none of my close friends would tell you they ever felt that way with me, and they are strong personalities that wouldnt hesitate to admit it. at the same time, looking back, i can see why they felt that way.

Excerpt
What's the logic?

she feels that you were condescending to her. reread your post. does that make sense?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Nichelangelo

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 09:00:52 AM »

Hey once removed!

Excerpt
its hard to communicate, regardless, and the emotionally easiest, and frankly kindest way to break up with someone is to tell them "its not you. its me".

I agree that's kind and emotionally easy. But before someone makes up his mind, wouldn't it be reasonable if the person engaged in problem solving with his partner? I presume that's a basic pillar for any functional relationship.
As you said,

Excerpt
she feels that you were condescending to her. reread your post. does that make sense?

I agree, that makes sense. I wish she had told me that, though. It would be something pretty easy to fix  :/
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 01:04:00 AM »

I agree that's kind and emotionally easy. But before someone makes up his mind, wouldn't it be reasonable if the person engaged in problem solving with his partner? I presume that's a basic pillar for any functional relationship.

sure.

although it may depend on the level of commitment. if youre in a new relationship, or a three month relationship, thats simply not everyones attitude. it may be too heavy.

its not about how much conflict a couple has (some couples fight a lot but have a healthy relationship), its about how they resolve it.

i think the two of you were at odds in how you approached it. she felt overwhelmed and didnt feel heard. she withdrew and you didnt feel heard. that resentment lingered, unresolved, until it boiled over.

what do you think?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest