Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 10:27:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Ex) Boyfriend with BPD confused broke up with me  (Read 469 times)
sunflowergirl05

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Together

« on: April 04, 2021, 11:59:38 AM »

Hello, been dating my ex? Now for 6/7 months. Trouble and red flags were waived early on but I never did anything about them because I wanted to believe in the best etc etc. You know the story. We’ve had some major figure, and about 3 weeks ago he came out to me as self diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. He started therapy this past Monday. I started researching BPD to try and understand it and be kind and patient. Since last weekend things have been so cold from him, he’s kept me at a distance, is very very mean to me, doesn’t reassure me when I need it (because he’s being so cold) and overall seems overall just annoyed by my existence. I’ve tried to talk to him about it but he always says “I haven’t had coffee yet” “not right now” “not interested etc” he’s been emotionally abusive and has recognized it. He told me he’s confused about his feelings and he doesn’t know what is real anymore. Today he broke up with me after I “made him feel things” as he was avoiding feeling anything at all for the past couple weeks. He said he still doesn’t know how he feels or if he’s in love with me or anything. He doesn’t deserve me etc. I am just so confused.

What is happening? It seems like he’s devalued me, and is saying that I drive him crazy and make everything worse. This is someone I thought I would spend my life with, and him with me I think. We signed a lease together and we’re planning on moving together. I think we’re broken up now, but were still stuck in this house together for the next month-two months. I am confused and super sad and I don’t know what to expect. I’m afraid of cohabitating with him while we both figure it out and Im also afraid of him finding someone else while we’re still in the same house. He started dating me a couple of days after breaking up with his ex. Now I’m hindsight I get it. Help?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

fencesallaround

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Dating

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 02:15:13 PM »

I know we're not supposed to say "end things" but if he already did that, I'm not sure where this falls.

What I would do is focus on the immediate issue of the lease/co-habitation.
If you really can't get out of it, maybe you could calmly ask him to have his therapist help him create a list of boundaries and expectations for the duration of your cohabitation that are reasonable enough for you both to get through the next couple of months without additional pain.

If he in fact has BPD, he will hopefully calm down and stop being so verbally abusive toward you. Considering the "self-diagnosis", I can't help but feel skeptical.

Those of us who love or have loved someone with an actual diagnosis don't find it any easier to take the hurtful words they throw out during certain stages.
I really hope you are fully aware that the negative things he's saying are not a reflection of you at all. I'm sorry you're going through this.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Surrounded by BPD.
Never deterred.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest