Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 10:08:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is BPD on a spectrum  (Read 381 times)
Sheisinthere

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« on: April 13, 2021, 06:33:54 AM »

My daughter has been diagnosed with bpd approx 1 year ago she is 20. Although I accepted that she has mental health issues I am not sold that bpd is accurate. I know of many people that have bpd and I understand that they all present in different ways however it always seems extreme.
My daughter seems to struggle under pressure and becomes agitated quickly and can’t handle much  however is never rude or abusive to me who she openly admits she is the worst for me.
She has had the same friends for years and can except if they don’t always do the right thing. She get very hurt but she does accept this and eventually they make up.
She works and has since she was 15 however struggles to concentrate on study as she has trouble staying focused.
I guess my question is, is there degrees of the spectrum for bpd and does anyone else person express the self in this manner.? When I read some of the information some sections seem to align with the diagnosis but not all and not in extremes she has only had 1 major episode in which she is believed to have disassociated and become aggressive however this was under the influence of alcohol I am so confuses
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 06:51:57 AM »

It is a spectrum disorder and there are many family members and partners here who function below the clinical level (sub-clinical).

Who diagnosed her? How much time did he/she spend with her? How does he/she want to treat her?

Sheisinthere

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 08:04:28 AM »

She was diagnosed by a psychiatrist in an inpatient program after the one episode. She requested to go as an inpatient as she new that she would make it difficult to continue to attend as an outpatient, she openly admitted she would not say no to people in there when required to attend classes however would be difficult when having to  attend every week’ rom home
She had not been his patient prior to the admission as her treating practitioner was not taking inpatient.
In the hospital they only see them for 15 minutes every 2-3 days after 4 weeks she was given the diagnosis of bpd.
She only takes some serotonin 100mg and was seeing a few phycotherapist for approx 10 weeks after release however even she mentioned how polite my daughter was and said I must be a good parent.
She is currently no receiving any treatment. I acknowledge my daughter has mental health issues and it could be bpd it just doesn’t align with what I know or her behaviour.
We still worry and are concerned about her all the time however I think our biggest worry is knowing what I know about bpd is this going to be what she becomes if we don’t manage it well.
beatricex

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 08:52:18 AM »

Hi Sheisinthere,
I wonder if there is some particular aspect of her personality, that they observed when she was in the in-patient program.  Maybe something she hides from you?

Like with my Mom she is not suicidal and never has been that I know of.  So, you might think "not BPD."  But after reading about the different types, I found this and it jumped off the page, cause my Mom definetly believes she has special powers.  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

"Unusual beliefs and experiences Belief that one has unusual abilities, such as mindreading, telekinesis, thought-action fusion, unusual experiences of reality, including hallucination-like experiences."

Once, I managed to get her into therapy with all my siblings, and my sister happened to be pregnant at the time, and my Mom walked out because she stated "I know the [unborn] baby can hear us and this is not healthy for it."

grrrrr

The special powers thing is used only to get out of uncomfortable situations, I have found.

Does your daughter have maybe something unique like that?  I agree that the being polite doesn't go with the disorder, in my experience.

b
Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 09:23:17 AM »

Two thoughts...

1) A BPD diagnosis is not so much how she acts (behaviors) as it is how she thinks (processes life challenges).

2) The value of any differential diagnosis in the personality disorder class is knowing what treatments and tools to use to help her.

This is in start contrast of what you will read on most of the Internet where BPD is discussed on a behavioral basis (volatility, cutting, self-harm, impulsiveness/risk taking) and it largely a label for "defective".

I posted this a while back. It is exactly what you are asking. It's been asked many times:
https://bpdfamily.com/content/what-borderline-personality-disorder

What are the struggles your daughter faces? What lead her to impatient care?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest