Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 05:50:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new here - very unsure of things  (Read 774 times)
syndee

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: dating

« on: June 08, 2021, 08:50:43 PM »

Hi, I'm new here and I've been in a long term relationship, on and off.  We were friends for many decades and then started dating as we both became single.  Initially since I knew him so well I thought the relationship would go so smoothly, he knew my kids, we all got along well, etc. and he wanted to get married rather quickly. 

But then these incidents started happening where his personality would suddenly flip and be so angry and sullen and I could never understand what I did.  Saying I want to go home early or needed time for myself, was seen as I was ditching him.  God forbid I had to cancel or I was late.  Then he was furious that I don't care for his needs and he wasn't a priority, etc etc. 

There is too much pouting and punishment but I really wanted to find out if this could be saved and where my flaws played a part.  But the things that bothered him seemed so random.  Logical discussions don't seem to work. Then I came across this site.  Im' thinking I finally want to end this all but I just want to avoid the drama. Any help is appreciated.
Lucky Jim

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 10:08:12 AM »

Excerpt
I really wanted to find out if this could be saved and where my flaws played a part.

Hey Syndee, Welcome!  No, it's not about your flaws.  It's doubtful that anything you did or didn't do would have averted his rage, sad to say.  Agree, "logical discussions" don't work because those w/BPD operate on feelings that are often irrational or unreasonable.  You seem to have a good handle on the dynamics.  I suggest you listen to your gut feelings.  On some level, you already know what you have to do.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
syndee

Relationship status: dating

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 11:24:38 AM »

Thanks for the comment.

What I want to know, is there really anything to do that can help the relationship?  He's very smart but somehow doesn't see how his behavior is odd.  He says all couples fight, etc., or that well the friends' wives don't ignore him like I do.  If only I...(fill in the blank), he won't behave the way he does.  I'd say he is too smothering, but he'd say, you've been ignoring me all evening, all I need is 5 min of your time then I'm fine.  Of course it was never enough; full weekends together without the kids,then two days later he'd say, you don't spend enough time with me.  I've read how validating them helps, but I'm afraid that would be a black hole that would never be filled.  We also tried counseling, but the woman told me later how great he seemed, he just loves you so much, I should try harder to work it out.  I couldn't manage to explain to her about the rage silences, etc.

So what is really the next step to try to improve things?  Try more counseling?  Try to get him into counseling himself, or hint at suspected BPD?  Was there anyone that really improved things without the partner going into therapy?  Sometimes I'm thinking I want to end things, but I'm a little afraid he wont take it well.  I've noticed some threads where the poster says the key is setting up very rigid boundaries but will that just cause more drama?  I just want to know if anyone was successful in maintaining a relationship with a suspected BPD.  We do have a lot in common, sense of humor, certain interests, values, etc. and a many year history that I don't want to let go of.

Lucky Jim

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 03:09:16 PM »

Hello again, syndee, You might want to read more about BPB.  "Stop Walking on  Eggshells" is a good place to start.  I think you're right that it will never be enough, but I'm  biased after a long marriage and divorce from a pwBPD.

You might want to post your questions on the Bettering Board, where they might receive more encouraging responses.  We are a pretty jaded bunch here on the Detaching Board! 

Feel free to pose any particular questions.

LJ

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
EZEarache

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 03:27:56 PM »

What I want to know, is there really anything to do that can help the relationship?  He's very smart but somehow doesn't see how his behavior is odd.  He says all couples fight, etc., or that well the friends' wives don't ignore him like I do.  If only I...(fill in the blank), he won't behave the way he does.

This all sounds very familiar.

BPDs have difficulty identifying the cause and effect of their actions. They will do anything to deflect the blame so they don't experience the extreme emotional pain of admitting they are at fault.

I've read how validating them helps, but I'm afraid that would be a black hole that would never be filled. 

Validating will be an unending process for you. I've found this link to be helpful for me while work on validating:

https://www.hopeforbpd.com/borderline-personality-disorder-treatment/validating-statements

We also tried counseling, but the woman told me later how great he seemed, he just loves you so much, I should try harder to work it out.  I couldn't manage to explain to her about the rage silences, etc.

BPDs are master manipulators. Their feelings become a reality that is total and complete, and always based with some semblance of fact. However, those that know them well and remember the circumstances will identify that the facts they remember are just a little bit skewed. It can be very difficult for a therapist to diagnose it. What worked for me was documenting text messages where my ExGFwBPD became dysregulated. She has consistently demonstrated her traits even in writing. If your BF can't control their rage while texting this could work for you. I created PDFs of the communication and then shared them with my therapist. My therapist eventually agreed with my suspicions.

So what is really the next step to try to improve things?  Try more counseling?  Try to get him into counseling himself,

All of the above if possible. Getting the person with BPD into therapy on their own can be a challenge, and as described above the therapist is often sucked into the BPD's convincing distorted reality.

hint at suspected BPD?  Was there anyone that really improved things without the partner going into therapy?

Probably not for both of these points. If you hint at the suspected BPD, your partner will probably just blame shift back at you. This exact thing happened to me this morning. For most of the success stories, the partner was in therapy trying to improve themselves. I am not a success story.

Sometimes I'm thinking I want to end things, but I'm a little afraid he wont take it well.

They almost definitely will not take it well. It will almost certainly get very ugly, but most people on here that have taken the plunge and left seem to say they are much happier a year later.

I've noticed some threads where the poster says the key is setting up very rigid boundaries but will that just cause more drama?

You can expect more drama when setting up boundaries. That has been my experience. BPDs are basically emotionally stuck at a two or three year old emotional level when they dysregulate. They want what they want, and they won't rest until they get it. If you try to dissuade them from obtaining their goal, you will become the target of their aggression.

Not taking no for an answer can be an attractive quality in people sometimes. However, when it is directed at you in anger, it will be very painful.

I just want to know if anyone was successful in maintaining a relationship with a suspected BPD.  We do have a lot in common, sense of humor, certain interests, values, etc. and a many year history that I don't want to let go of.

There are a few success stories on here. I am not one of them, yet. I do recommend sticking around and following this board. There are certainly reasons to try and hold onto the positive things you seem to have in your relationship. However, you need to decide if you are strong enough to take the emotional abuse and if it's really worth it. It will be a bumpy ride, and sadly for me it has not gotten any easier
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest