Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 02:49:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avoiding involvement in bf's bad decision?  (Read 391 times)
SpoonBridge10
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Dating 8 years/living together

« on: June 22, 2021, 11:41:43 PM »

Hi! First post here!

Been with my partner, B, for 8 1/2 years, and honestly, most has been tough. Due to a really traumatic incident last year (public naming of B's behavior that hurt former friends for everyone to see on social media), we came to the necessary conclusion B has BPD, and found a therapist who specializes. B's been seeing this therapist since about Nov/Dec, and it seems like a good fit and has worked through SOME things.

ANYWAY, there's a history of B not having the career or job he wants, and previously went to school for a dream career that never took off after graduation because of what I assume may have been early BPD behavior with potential employers/HR/hiring managers. He moved on into jobs and a career that makes him miserable, wondering "what if?".

So recently he came into some money after a couple family deaths, and decided to go back to school again for this career. I absolutely supported this; since we started seeing each other, he would often speak of wanting to go back and try for these jobs (his knowledge and skills are too out-dated at this point and would need more training to do this job again).

(Once he interviewed for a job he wasn't qualified for but when he found out someone he knew and disliked got the job, he disassociated, broke up with me and started a couple very short relationships immediately and was claiming this company in our community had it in for him, he had the job until this person came along, etc. This is how emotionally involved he is with this career path.)

He started classes (night classes; he's full-time employed already) on June 7th and since then it's been constant claims that he's too old, not smart enough, not creative anymore, no one works as hard as he does, he doesn't have time, it's too difficult, etc.  All of these things aren't true in reality, but of course he's not here in our reality. Every single week he's claiming he's going to quit because he can't do it. Then, he'll come home from class or get off a Zoom class and be incredibly excited, talking about the great feedback he's getting and the ideas he has. It's total whiplash.

So tonight, the usual happened: we talked this afternoon via text about his assignment he had to work on for tomorrow, and all seemed fine. He had ideas and was going to get to it after dinner. An hour in, he comes out and I check on him, and suddenly he's in tears saying its too hard, he's too old, he's not creative enough, and there's no guarantee that he'll get a job after being done (like last time, though he won't admit it was his fault last time or that he can do it differently this time).

He's begging me to "let him" quit school after 3 weeks, and says I'm not supporting him. He's nonstop complaining about school and about ME not supporting his awful -- in my opinion -- decision to quit.

So, my question
: what can a non-BP do/say in the face of their BP significant other making what seems like a rash and bad decision based on a lot of self-doubt? I've seen his work -- I'm in the same industry he wants to be in -- and it's great. He gets good feedback and others like his work and ideas a lot. But he's getting in his own way, and I can't say or do anything good enough for him.

He can quit -- it's his life and his money, time, and decision. But the alternative is soul-sucking and something he hates and complains about daily. It's so frustrating and infuriating to see him barely give school time and decide he's just not good enough (even though instructors and fellow students don't say that).

Thanks, all!
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Jabiru
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 07:43:51 AM »

Hi and welcome  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Maybe try supporting but not enabling. There's lots of good info in that link.

From experience with my BPD wife and job searching, enabling her strains the relationship while supporting usually strengthens it. It can be tempting to give too much of myself and end up enabling her but I remind myself to only support.

Does that make sense?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest