Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 02:12:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bpd bf doesn't know if he wants to be with me anymore  (Read 363 times)
spaghetti
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Other
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Dating

« on: June 24, 2021, 12:17:11 AM »

Me and my bf have been together for 2 1/2 years. It was only recently that he was diagnosed with bpd so all of his previous actions made sense. We broke up and made up several times. I noticed a pattern, he gets in a "mood" in the middle of the month. One minute we're great then the next he doubts our relationship. The other day, we planned a date to go out to dinner then the movies. We haven't been on a date in a while due to me being in school full time and working part time and him watching his siblings (their dad passed away in May.) We finally had free time to have one on one time, no kids, no work and no homework. We were so excited. We got ready and felt attractive and sent each other selfies. Right after I finished getting ready I get a call saying "my mom said to cancel my plans, I have to watch the kids." Naturally I got really disappointed and sad (no his fault of course. I still went over to his house because he asked me to. I noticed he was irritated which was understandable. The first part of the day we were lovey dovey then once our plans got ruined he switched up on me and didn't want me around. When he gets like this he starts doubting himself and the relationship. There's no reasoning to break up. It comes out of no where. I understand his impulsiveness may be a symptom of his bpd. I'm getting discouraged. I've dealt with his patterns for so long. I absolutely love this man and want to spend my life with him. It gets hard when he pushes me away and doubts. I'm giving him space to calm his thoughts and really think about his decision. Before, I'd just give up and we'd break up. Now that I understand his patterns, I just give him space and wait until he "goes back to normal."
I sometimes doubt, is this really the end or is this just an episode? Do I really want to deal with this my whole life? Then the opposite I think "I love him so much and am willing to separate his illness from his actual self."
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Jabiru
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 03:35:52 PM »

Hi and welcome Welcome new member (click to insert in post) It's a very personal decision that only you can make. Nice job giving him some time to think to himself. If he has BPD, the emotional dysregulation may continue. There are ways to help turn down the volume but it will likely still exist to some degree. Be gentle with both him and yourself. I hope things get better soon.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest