Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 12:05:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help me get some perspective  (Read 424 times)
thankful person

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

Formerly known as broken person…

« on: July 22, 2021, 07:21:27 AM »

I am a married lesbian and my wife has bpd. We have two children who are biologically hers but legally mine too. We have been together for seven years.
We do not have sex at all for quite some time. We have always been mismatched with her sex drive being higher and this somehow helped her steal me from my boyfriend who I had been with for fifteen years. She breast feeds our young baby most of the time, and sleeps with both children in the bed, I am in the spare room with the dog. She says she doesn’t feel desired or wanted, but can’t tell me exactly what she wants from me. I know she wants me to say sexy things but I don’t know what to say or when is a good time. I also used to talk about her body a lot, but she doesn’t like this apparently.
She keeps threatening that our relationship may end because of it, and just sent me this message, as she’s hoping things will change when we move house, but I honestly don’t thinkf I can ever be what she wants, even though I would like to be::
“I really hope things will be different for us starting over. I feel this is our last chance to make a go of things otherwise we should separate as it’s not right. I love you but sex and all that is a massive part of my life and I need it.  I don’t want to live this life the way I am! I am sexually unhappy and I feel I’ve lost something within me and I want it back. IT HURTS SO BAD! I want to be wanted and I don’t feel it.”
Please help with some advice! I have offered to go to counselling with or without her, but she won’t allow it because she thinks we need to sort it out between us and doesn’t want me talking to anyone about her.

“Maybe I’ll get it right next time…” from “Estranged” by Guns N’ Roses
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Jabiru
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 03:23:07 PM »

Hi Welcome new member (click to insert in post) I see 3 logical options: She can
a) tell you what she would like,
b) agree to go to counseling with you (preferably someone experienced in BPD), or
c) drop the matter.

I found by experience that it's a losing game to guess what your pwBPD wants. Instead, being direct and literal with words has worked best for me. If you haven't read it, I recommend the book Stop Caretaking the Borderline or Narcissist. The book title sounded too good to be true and almost like it would split us apart, but it's actually matured our relationship and we feel more stable than ever. Overall, it helped me to avoid doing things out of FOG (fear, obligation, guilt) and instead take care of myself first and be more authentic in our relationship by doing things here and there for her because I want to, not because of FOG.

Do you feel controlled by your wife?
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 03:37:37 PM »

I can hear the urgency in your post, bp.  Jabiru offered some really solid feedback.

I think most parents of young kids can relate to a big change in sex life. It stands out to me that she's sleeping with the kids and you're in the spare room. How did that come to be?

Agree that a therapist with knowledge of BPD would be ideal. If nothing else, would she be open to seeing a sex therapist? They may be able to lay out the options for you.

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 12:06:23 AM »

mismatched sex drives are one of the biggest issues in any romantic relationship. there is virtually always some mismatch. some couples are more easily able to work around it, some arent.

with bpd, its important to know that there is a greater sensitivity for perceived slights or rejection. on top of that, there may be a lot of self loathing and/or low self esteem. some of these feelings may be frustration in your sexual relationship, some of them may have to do more with her.

without knowing your wife, and without her offering much, its very hard to say what specifically shes after. what may help is looking at it from an emotional connection stand point more than just physical sex. are there things that might make her feel wanted or desired; nurturing sort of stuff? are there sexy sort of activities, like sending flirty texts or pictures? whatever it is, one or both partners often need that strong emotional connection as a gateway, more than just saying or doing the right things sexually.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
thankful person

Formerly known as broken person…

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 05:11:06 PM »

Thanks I will certainly check out the book. Yes I do feel very controlled by my wife. I’d love things to change and I’m working on slowly standing up for myself but it doesn’t always go so well.
I first moved into the spare room because my wife was always uncomfortable and said I fidget too much and disturb her. She used to come visit me when baby was asleep, but now there are two babies and it’s just not possible.
I do try to make her feel loved and desired but it’s hard as there are many rules like I can’t just grab her and hug or kiss her..

“Maybe I’ll get it right next time…” from “Estranged” by Guns N’ Roses
babyducks

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 07:46:16 AM »

, and sleeps with both children in the bed, I am in the spare room with the dog.

She says she doesn’t feel desired or wanted, but can’t tell me exactly what she wants from me.

hmmmm I am not crazy about this dynamic.   she is with your children and you are with the dog.    doesn't sound very equitable to me.    how do you feel about it?

I would suggest this limits the opportunities for intimacy quite a lot.     what do you and your wife do to build moments of romantic intimacy?    any date nights?   evenings out?    special moments alone?

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest