Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 06:16:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Expert insight for adult children
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
How to spot a liar
Pamela Meyer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with my dad...  (Read 358 times)
Dogsfordayz
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Single

« on: July 26, 2021, 09:53:10 PM »

Hey y'all! New to the group... I have been struggling with my dad and his diagnosis since I was a kid. And I thankfully have figured out the game and the rules (27 years later) but I don't know how to have a relationship with him without major boundaries that he pushes wayyyy to much for my comfort. Anyone else feel this way? Or deal with a similar issue?
beatricex

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 02:37:42 PM »

hi Dogsfordayz,
Welcome.  Can you give an example of a boundary that your Dad likes to push?

With my BPD Mom, the major boundary violation is that she contacts people I know behind my back, then tries to sway them against me.  I really don't know why she does this or what's in it for her, but I always get the feeling she's talking about me behind my back, and not in a good way.  Enough people have reached out to me that I know this to be true, I'm not just being paranoid.

I want her to stop, but saying "STOP!" seems like it would just cause her to do it more.  I understand she does it because of the turmoil going on in her mind, but it's unfair to me and causes me to really distance myself.  It's also crazy making because sometimes I'm a horrible daughter and sometimes I'm great, and she tells people both stories.  I'm sure they're confused a lot.  When just talking with her friends, pretty sure she just says "my daughter" though and since she has 3 they're never really sure which one she's referring to. 

My Mom's best friend of about a decade contacted me through facebook after they had a falling out and said something like "I don't know why your mother always said such horrible things about you because I always found you to be a lovely and kind person."

It's just disheartning to have someone constantly judging, and because it's my Mom it's doubly hurtful since by definition, Mom's are supposed to be a "ride or die" kind that always "has your back," you know, like even serial killer's have moms who are like "oh, my child would Never do that!"  Not my mom.

b
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 02:51:32 PM by beatricex » Logged
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 06:56:10 AM »

Mine too Beatricex-

I know my mother does that as she also did it with my in laws and they told me about it. On the rare occasion I see her FOO, I am very uncomfortable because I know she's influenced what they think about me. They mostly "know me" through what she tells them about me, and according to what my in laws have said, they either think I'm a nut case or the worst child on the planet.

How they don't have a clue about her astounds me. She does hold it together when she's with them and doesn't share any persona business. She has a very impressive public persona.

The sad part is that, I do like some of her FOO- the relatives that are around my age would be fun to get together with. But she's basically ruined any chance of us being true friends. I don't trust them as their loyalty is to her, and her lies about me have made it impossible for them to know the real me.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest