Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 10:42:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a few questions about others' situations  (Read 379 times)
sunny060918

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married; controlled contact

« on: August 07, 2021, 08:47:35 AM »

This is only my 2nd post, but I've been reading a lot on the boards and the articles (not to mention books).
First of all, is there a post with a list of helpful abbreviations used on this board? I can sort out what some of the abbreviations mean, but not all of them.

Here are some questions I'm sorting through and wondered if others might share some insight.

Anyone observed their loved one sleeping excessively after a rage episode? Hubby recovered last Friday (after raging Thursday night), then he slept Saturday from around 12pm or so till Sunday morning.

Do other loved ones snoop through your emails, social media, journals, notes, etc? When his racing/suspicious thoughts take over, he goes through anything of mine that he can find and looks for things to support his irrational thinking. How do you maintain any privacy? The only things I’m concerned about him finding have to do with him and navigating our relationship. Things like my journal, emails, message board stuff, articles, or search history of researching BPD.

Anyone have experience with loved one adamantly rejecting any type of diagnosis, yet agreeable to therapy? He’s in DBT and CBT. His rages average every 6-8 weeks or so. Just long enough in between for me to start to feel a bit more comfortable and let my guard down. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, he loses it. I am seeing improvement from the therapy though.

Anyone have experience with the loved one’s family not seeing the bpd behavior, continuing to enable the loved one, minimizing his behavior, and blaming you, the spouse or SO? How do you handle that? So far, I’m able to leave it be. But it steps on my issues of wanting fairness and justice and being misunderstood. They all think the crisis event on 6/16 is my fault – partly because that's what hubby portrayed to them.
 (6/16 was the straw that broke the camel's back - he was raging, drunk, I hunkered down in the bathroom, he continued to rage at me through the door, never threatened himself or me, but he did threaten to go shoot/kill two men he believed to have been in my past. He loaded his pistol and I called our therapist who called the police. SWAT surrounded our house. When he went outside to his truck to get something, the police detained him. took him to county hospital and he was kept for a week on protective order. He has said during rages and when he's calm, that I wasn't really scared, that I was punishing him and being vindictive. He halfway accepts responsibility, but it's always followed up with "but you" or "but the police" or any number of excuses. He and his family think I overreacted. None of them see his behavior as abusive.) *btw, I and my 17 year old daughter from my 1st marriage moved to our own apartment. I wouldn't say we are separated, because we interact, date, hang out, but we are living apart.)

Any practical words or phrases you use for validation that are easy to remember for beginners in the heat of the moment? I'm compiling a list I can memorize Smiling (click to insert in post)

Thanks! I'm so glad I found this group.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Jabiru
Ambassador

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 11:51:01 AM »

Hi and welcome Welcome new member (click to insert in post) Here are some abbreviations. It's good to hear you're taking care of yourself and your daughter. Maybe learn how to clear your browsing history, set passwords, get your own personal device, etc. to maintain privacy.

Any practical words or phrases you use for validation that are easy to remember for beginners in the heat of the moment?
Try to not be invalidating. I've found this more effective than trying to be more validating.

I'll let others with relevant experience reply to your other questions.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 01:38:10 PM »

edit -- cross posted with jabiru

thanks jabiru for posting the link!

kells76
B53

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 03:18:07 PM »

I know that many people on this site record what is being said. It’s hard to deny it when you can play it back. I wish I had done this with my ex, I don’t think he has any idea how bad his behavior was, because he was splitting at the time. I think he would have been shocked and would understand why I have gone NC. I still think he holds on to hope where there is none. Mine was doing DBT too. I don’t have any hope for him, because he is 64 and he has been this way for too long. I do wish the best for him and hope I’m wrong, but still too late for us.
sunny060918

Relationship status: married; controlled contact

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 04:31:23 PM »

I know that many people on this site record what is being said. It’s hard to deny it when you can play it back. I wish I had done this with my ex, I don’t think he has any idea how bad his behavior was, because he was splitting at the time. I think he would have been shocked and would understand why I have gone NC. I still think he holds on to hope where there is none. Mine was doing DBT too. I don’t have any hope for him, because he is 64 and he has been this way for too long. I do wish the best for him and hope I’m wrong, but still too late for us.

I have recorded him several times. I also recorded him on the night of 6/16 when the police got involved. He knew I had the recordings and he asked me to send them to him. I did. He actually listened to them in front of me. And he still hasn't accepted that I was afraid or that the way he was raging was abusive. So I'm not sure it did any good for me to record anything.

can someone tell me about the letters used in front or behind "bpd" - I think dbpd is diagnosed? U is for undiagnosed? what about pwbpd or ones like that? I'm guessing w and h are wife and husband? And the other letters indicate other disorders, maybe?
I really appreciate y'all's input!
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 08:31:26 PM »

Hey sunny060918,

Though others may differ, I typically mean "person with BPD" when I type pwBPD.

I'll use "DH" to talk about my "dear husband".

Some will say "BPDw" to talk about their wife with BPD, or "BPDh" for husband with BPD. Sometimes the "u" for undiagnosed gets combined, so someone might type "uBPDw" or "uBPDh" for an undiagnosed BPD wife or husband.

GF is typically girlfriend, BF typically boyfriend. The only confusing ones I've really run into are using SD for my stepdaughter(s) but then they have a stepdad, so I can't use SD for stepdad. Sometimes you just gotta type it out  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest