Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 07, 2024, 04:22:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping the Grandkids safe & questioning mom's "cancer" diagnosis  (Read 555 times)
Angel PW
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Adult Daughter

« on: August 24, 2021, 04:55:26 PM »

Hello!
I am a 53 year old mother of five, grandmother of three whose oldest daughter, age 32, has BPD. My daughter had two children by different fathers and since the birth of the last one in 2016, has been slipping down the spiral into repeated suicide attempts, overdoses, tumultuous abusive relationships, emotional abuse and neglect of her children, heavy drug and alcohol abuse and delusional psychosis.  We had taken temporary custody a couple of times in the past, but after witnessing too many incidences in which the children were subject to verbal, physical, and psychological abuse and mom's impulsive, dangerous behaviors, we took custody of our eight year old granddaughter and the five year old's father took custody of her.  Mom was given supervised visitation only--something she feels is extremely unfair. 

Over the last seven months, she has sent me hundreds of abusive emails and texts, had two psychiatric hospital stays for suicide threats and attempts, threw an accordion through her ex boyfriend's car windshield, and then tells me how I'm a horrible mother for not letting her take her kids unsupervised.

She has also pulled the "cancer card" telling us that she has terminal endocrine cancer and has less than nine months to live, but every time I ask her to let me talk to her doctor or show me a piece of paper proving that she is at least receiving treatment, she flips out, claims I have Munchausen by Proxy and that she'll never let me see her medical records because of things I supposedly screwed up in the past (she has actually rewritten her life story posing me as a monster who abused her and abandoned her and I don't know if she even knows what the truth is anymore). None of her recent past boyfriends can honestly say they have seen or received proof that she has cancer, but she shaves her head, says its from her "treatments," claims to be paying $900 per month out of pocket for special treatments (even though she has medicaid), and tells us we are pathetic cold hearted people because we won't buy her a fifth vehicle (she destroyed, trashed, or crashed the other four we gave her over the last ten years).

She now has moved in with a new boyfriend closer to where we live and she is pushing to have the kids unsupervised.  Last weekend, my husband and I had to attend his best friend's funeral, and we left the children with reliable responsible child care at our house.  My daughter showed up early with her boyfriend, told my child care friend she could leave, and then they took the kids for the afternoon.  Thankfully she did keep in touch after I found out and she did bring them back, but the father of the youngest found out and now he won't let me be the supervisor for his daughter anymore.  We are heartbroken over this.

I've been dealing with this for over thirty years and I'm tired, exhausted, emotionally drained, emotionally divorced from my daughter, and trying to figure out how to keep the kids safe while allowing her as much time with them as possible when she is feeling well.  I just read "When the Ship Has No Stabilizers" and "The Push," two books that helped me to see that we're not alone in this, but it's hard to know what to do, how to react, how to respond, etc.  Any advice or support is appreciated!
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Goosey

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 05:35:46 PM »

How absolutely horrible for you. Can’t imagine how heart wrenching this all must be.
And how absolutely beautiful and courageous  of you and yours to step in and put up with all this insanity for the safety of the grandchildren. 
   My sincere hope you catch a break. 

Sancho
Ambassador

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 05:20:16 AM »

My heart goes out to you. I can relate to your situation, and also to the exhaustion that goes with dealing with constant turmoil and crisis.

You say your daughter 'was given' supervised access to the children. Do you mean a court gave these orders - or a child welfare department?

The dilemma is awful - how to protect the children while allowing mum to have time with them when she is able.

I think if the 'supervised access' has been ordered by someone, then that is a great protection for you and the children. It means it's not up to you to decide how the access can happen - which in the long run is a great protection. If you are allowed to decide, then you are in a very awful situation. Your daughter might be okay for a month or so, and you agree to her seeing the children, then she might spiral down and you have to do the refusing.

I think having other people involved is one of the boundaries that can protect us. You are doing an amazing job, and have carried this load for so long - I hope there is some relief around the corner.
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 07:05:22 PM »

So sorry this happened while you were at a funeral.  It would help to clarify if this is a court order. 

Depending on the details, we may advise you to change boundaries regarding your daughter with BPD.

I'll check back soon to see your reply.

Best,

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest