Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 27, 2024, 05:28:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My nightmare  (Read 473 times)
I Can Survive
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: broken up

« on: August 25, 2021, 01:15:45 PM »

I was in a relationship with my former BPD partner for 11 years. It wasn't until recently that I learned her behavior was BPD. I had to file a restraining order to keep us apart as a result of physical altercations but worse her two attempted suicides. It has only been three weeks but I miss her. How can I miss someone who treated me so badly yet she could make me feel like the best person she ever met? I have tried to talk to others about this but I sense they don't understand the magnetic draw I have to her despite it being so toxic. I started therapy yesterday. I know I need to heal and this forum has helped me realize I am not alone. She is currently in a psych unit at hospital but has no place to go upon discharge. I feel terribly guilty because I don't want to see her on the streets but I cannot bring her back into my house. It took so much effort to get to this point. But why do I have this strong urge to say, "It is OK. I will take care of you." while fighting the knowledge that I have been manipulated, lied to and emotionally abused? I am having trouble focusing on work and feel very depressed.   
Cant breathe

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: broken

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 01:37:38 PM »

Welcome. I joined this week, so I have no real advice to offer beyond saying this: I hear you. I feel both your pain and the bond you feel with someone who in turn would hurt you on a whim. It is real. You are worth so much more. I am sorry you have to go through this. Glad you are in therapy -- mine has been great and has fit me in three times in a week and a half because she knows I feel in crisis.
Sappho11

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 03:55:24 PM »

I was in a relationship with my former BPD partner for 11 years. It wasn't until recently that I learned her behavior was BPD. I had to file a restraining order to keep us apart as a result of physical altercations but worse her two attempted suicides. It has only been three weeks but I miss her. How can I miss someone who treated me so badly yet she could make me feel like the best person she ever met? I have tried to talk to others about this but I sense they don't understand the magnetic draw I have to her despite it being so toxic. I started therapy yesterday. I know I need to heal and this forum has helped me realize I am not alone. She is currently in a psych unit at hospital but has no place to go upon discharge. I feel terribly guilty because I don't want to see her on the streets but I cannot bring her back into my house. It took so much effort to get to this point. But why do I have this strong urge to say, "It is OK. I will take care of you." while fighting the knowledge that I have been manipulated, lied to and emotionally abused? I am having trouble focusing on work and feel very depressed.  

Hi there! Great username, by the way.

The reason you're feeling this way is partially because you're going through withdrawal – actual, physical withdrawal. In terms of mere brain chemistry, breaking away from an abusive relationship is similar to, and as difficult, as breaking an opiate addiction.

You might want to read up on traumatic bonding (https://themighty.com/2020/09/trauma-bonding-signs/) and relatedly, on intermittent reinforcement in order to understand what is happening.

From the article:

"Signs of Being in a Trauma Bond With Someone

— A pattern of non-performance: the person constantly promises you things and constantly lets you down.

— You feel that you don’t even like or trust the person anymore but you cannot leave.

— Your friends and family have advised against the relationships but you stay.

— Others seem disturbed by things that happen to you but you brush it off.

— You have tried to leave, but it makes you feel physically ill, like you will die or your life will be destroyed if you do.

— You know the person is “sometimes” abusive and destructive, but you focus on the “good” in them.

— You feel protective about the person because of their “difficult past” or “childhood” and find yourself caring for them despite their abusive behavior.

— You know you are being manipulated, but you’re often in denial and block out or quickly forget bad things.

— The relationship is intense and inconsistent. You do everything to please them and are unconditionally loyal while getting nothing but heartbreak in return.

— They say things you want to hear to resolve issues temporality — “I have learnt my lesson,” “I will prove my love for you everyday,” “Life is impossible without you.”

— You are driven to the point of self-destruction and often harbor thoughts of self-harm."

Just an idea for a starting point.

And of course, writing about it here helps a lot, too.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
Cromwell
`

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 04:40:22 PM »

Welcome I Can Survive

It does feel like a nightmare in the beginning, the depression hit me the worst when the relationship finished, this is not unusual.

It is a lot you have been through, 11 years of ups and downs and now the BPD relevation. This is a lot to process, a lot of questions.

For now, your ex is being looked after.

can I ask, doyou feel you are in any position at all to be helping anyone else with their problems, whilst yourself suffering heavy depression that is affecting your work?
grumpydonut

Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 07:24:52 AM »

Welcome,

BPD relationships are full of intermittent reinforcement. It is extremely addictive and, as Sappho mentioned, results in you going through very real withdrawal!
Scarredheart

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorcing

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 07:36:14 AM »

Man, can I ever understand how you’re feeling. I was with my BPD for 10 years. Even after everything she did to me and our kids I still wanted to save her.

It’s partly because, if you’re anything like me, you’re codependent, and because of trauma bonding.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=229693.0

You’re literally addicted to her. It’ll get better, but you need time and space. Taking her back will solve nothing and will only cause harm to the both of you. Keep writing here, keep going to therapy, lean on friends. You’ll get through this. It’ll be hell, but you can do it.

https://bpdfamily.com/pdfs/10_beliefs.pdf
Ad Meliora

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 01:07:36 AM »

Hi Can Survive,  I'm a newbie too and know exactly how you feel, unfortunately.  My first post pointed out I'm still having troubles coping over a year later from breaking it off with my BPDex.  Sappho11's info on the trauma bond helps explain some things, so does Scarred Hearts info.  Good luck, and hopefully we'll find some answers here that help us deal with what we're going through.

“The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.” ― Mark Twain
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest