Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 03:56:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a mood disorder and am frequently the target of the BPD anger  (Read 417 times)
Nonni911
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: This is my grandson's mother.

« on: September 16, 2021, 12:04:37 PM »

Paragraph header  (click to insert in post)
Our eldest son (aged 42) tends to attract women who exhibit BPD traits (no formal diagnosis, but one gets good at recognizing them).  He has a soft heart for children, and people struggling with self-esteem (his is pretty low, as well).
He was married to a woman in England who kept kicking him out and wanting him back.  They had a son together, but after a while, they finally divorced.  He had previously made yearly trips to visit the son, which she threatened to curtail, so he filed for visitation rights (not even custody rights), and won the case - which cost $34K - but she wrote to him later and told him that she would not grant him visitation, knowing he was flat-broke and couldn't afford to appeal.  He accepted that, and is hoping that the son (who is on the autism spectrum) might be curious and agree to see him when he is an adult.  He's 15 now.
Fast-forward to the present.  He met a girl (she's about 15 years younger) and they became good friends.  She was interested in him romantically, but it wasn't mutual, so one night, she went out with friends, and got pregnant with a son.  The biological father wasn't interested in parenting, so my son signed the birth certificate (unwise maybe, but understandable given the history).  He has sent money, participated in video chats daily, and is even moving to a town closer than where he currently lives.  That was dual-purpose, as he was hired for a better position at the TV station where he is moving. 
The issue has arisen that my son and his high school sweetheart have reconnected.  The boy's mother evidently sees this as him turning his back on her (and she states that it includes the son).  They're still video chatting, however.
The majority of the vitriol is aimed at me, though.  Not even my husband.  I have a mild form of bipolar, so my moods are somewhat unpredictable, but I'm in treatment and using mindfulness, talk therapy, exercise and some medication to try to stabilize my own system. 
However, right now, I am being beaten up again, and having just returned from a 3-week trip during which I was hypomanic almost the entire time, I'm dragging the ground, obsessing and ruminating.
Anyone else here have a mood disorder and dealing with attacks from someone with BPD?  She's using the grandson as a pawn (big surprise there), and that (alienation of affection) is kind of a big no-no.  He loves us and is happy to speak with us when she allows us to chat with him.
Just reaching out here...
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Sancho
Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 06:01:44 AM »

Hi Nonni911.
Can you just clarify things. . . .

Is it the childhood sweetheart or the lady with the son (the child your son signed as father on birth certificate) who has the bpd traits and causing you real stress.

It is hard enough being targeted when you feel emotionally strong and able to cope; it is just horrific when you are feeling low in emotional energy yourself.

I really feel for you  . . . . .
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest