Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 06:05:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts and ruminations, 12 weeks post discard  (Read 393 times)
ILMBPDC

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: Single

« on: October 18, 2021, 10:36:57 AM »

Saturday was 12 weeks since the final discard.
I feel like I am 98% healed from this relationship...there is 2% of me who still wants to hear from him and still hopes one day he will contact me. The 98% wants to smack that 2%  Smiling (click to insert in post). I recognize that the 2% is my wounded inner child and those wounds run deep, much deeper than Mr. BPD. (Also, my therapist finds it interesting that I am antagonistic toward that part of me)

I am thankful every day that he discarded me the way he did - cut me off and painted me black - because I know I would have kept trying (I am nothing if not tenacious, even if it's to my detriment). And the discards - both the initial semi-discard in February and then the final in July - caused me to take a hard look at myself. I realized I have a lot of my own issues that weren't going to just go away without me addressing them (which was my tactic for 46 years). I needed him to discard me the way he did or I would have literally spent the rest of my life ignoring my own issues and continuing the pattern of dating broken men.

I recognize that nothing I could have ever said or done would have changed the outcome of this, only prolonged the inevitable end, and that he will never change, his own wounds are too deep. In some ways I feel sorry for him - he was raised by a BPD mother (according to him) and his father abandoned them when he was a baby so he had a string of stepfathers who weren't all that great (pretty sure there was abuse, though he never came out and detailed what happened there were enough clues in discussions we had). But in feeling sorry for him, I recognize it very much triggers my own tendency toward codependency in romantic relationships. At one point I tried to convince him how great we are together because we both understand the other's wounds. Two broken people don't make a whole but I was trying so hard to get the pieces to fit.

I have a confession - I never blocked him on social media. I did hide him from my feeds so I don't have to see what he posts and I have never once looked at his pages or stories, I know that it would be painful. But some part of me could never bring myself to block him...I suspect that its my subconscious way of leaving the door open if he wants to contact me.  I have rarely been posting since I'm trying to wean myself off social media for my own sanity, but lately I have had to post to keep the family updated on my daughter who broke her ankle 7 weeks ago. He "likes" my posts, though he never posts a response. I've noticed my visceral reaction to seeing that he has "liked" a post has been changing. At first I would overthink it, wondering if he meant something by it, my heart would pound and my emotions would surface. Last week, I noticed his "like" and while my heart immediately did a flip-flop, I realized that was it...I didn't wonder about his meaning or even think about it further (until now Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)). I can't wait for the day when I see a "like" and my body reacts no differently than if my aunt liked the post...I know at that point I will be fully healed.

Also, I've noticed that over the last few weeks, my participation in the forum has been dwindling - I realize that this is because I am healing and am not in constant need of support and this forum has been a huge factor in that. Thank you - to everyone.
Cant breathe

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: broken

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 01:04:41 PM »

I really appreciate your post and am thankful you are well into the healing process. You set a nice example for the rest of us.
poppy2

What is your sexual orientation: Trans
Relationship status: broken up

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 03:01:35 PM »

Thanks a lot for sharing the update, it's inspiring and helpful to read.
ILMBPDC

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 08:03:23 AM »

I really appreciate your post and am thankful you are well into the healing process. You set a nice example for the rest of us.
Thank you Smiling (click to insert in post)  It's been helpful for me to read other people's healing journeys so I can only hope my experience helps someone else as well
Ad Meliora

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 03:46:58 PM »

Thanks for the update.  How's the situation with "coffee-date" guy?

“The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.” ― Mark Twain
ILMBPDC

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 01:41:44 PM »

Thanks for the update.  How's the situation with "coffee-date" guy?
We went on a couple dates. I feel zero chemistry for him.  I told him I am not really in a mental place to be dating right now (which I am not).  We still see each other at trivia on Sundays and he texts occasionally but there's really nothing romantic going on at all.  So, I guess we are friends?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest