Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 12:59:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to this site but hope to connect with others who understand  (Read 381 times)
spring mist
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: divorced

« on: October 28, 2021, 03:42:16 PM »

I don't know where to start except to say it feels good to have found a community of people who will understand what I am going through. I feel as though my adult daughter has turned into the most uncaring, nasty heartless person who says things like "I wish you were dead". I feel as though I have lost her, as though something has taken my beautiful girl away and left this person in her place. Having read about BPD I fear I may have lost her forever!
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
guiltymom

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: living apart

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 05:59:10 PM »

Welcome to the forum, springmist. How old is your daughter? My BPD son is 24. It's so comforting to read other people's stories and think yes, uh-huh, that sounds familiar—so hard to find people in real life who can understand what it's like to have a child like this.

I first suspected BPD when my son was a high school senior, but in hindsight he showed signs when he was as young as 7 or 8—he was always moody and we always walked on eggshells. He ruined almost every vacation we ever took. But like a lot of people with BPD, when he's doing well he is really entertaining to be around—the life of a party, funny, smart. We spoiled him enough that he rarely had reason to have outbursts as a kid, so therefore we were able to lie to ourselves about how serious his issues were. But when he turned 18 he got significantly worse—totally shifting sense of identity, rapid mood swings, extreme self-consciousness and embarrassment over minor things. He also has a case of misophonia that is probably just as debilitating as his BPD.

My good news for today is that he's made an appointment with an internist to ask about trying anxiety meds. I can only hope that those will help him function better. The fact that he's willing to try is a big step—in the past he's been totally anti-therapy and anti-medication.

Anyway—just wanted to send a rambling welcome.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest