Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 05:19:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Expert insight for adult children
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
How to spot a liar
Pamela Meyer
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you stop your inner critic when it goes on a rampage?  (Read 575 times)
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2022, 07:00:09 AM »

Hi Riv3rW0lf,

I listened to a YouTube lecture by the author of The Body Keeps the Score. That was helpful and enlightening since I don't yet have the book. You'll notice I didn't type the author's name. I can't pronounce it let alone attempt to spell it!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Have you ever tried EMDR for T? It is often helpful for PTSD survivors. My S27 has gone through about a year of EMDR, and while It was hard, he is doing much better now. I keep pointing it out to him so that he is validated when he feels as if he has so far still to go. You want to find someone who understands or specializes in trauma T and BPD. I opted to go the CBT route, but I've had a T who has been a good match for me. The road has been long and tough, but so worth the pain because now I am thriving.

Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
lm1109

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2022, 08:51:54 AM »

I've been looking into somatic therapy. I have never heard of Schema therapy. I just looked it up. Couscous would you be willing to share any insight into your experience with it or how it helped you? From what I read...it sounds like it could be helpful!
Riv3rW0lf

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Relationship status: Estranged; Complicated

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2022, 12:00:25 PM »

Somatic therapy seems very interesting. Maybe it would help me get into my body and finally remember/relive things.

Wools,
I just checked out EMDR therapy. I don't know, maybe I don't understand it well. The thing is I can't recall most of my traumatic experiences, and those I recall do not bring any distress. They are there alright, but I can't seem to access what I felt during that moment. I think I completely dissociated from them, hence them stopping abruptly. They don't generate any distress, they are just there.

I know I have some sort of trauma because at my uBPDm house, I got into a crisis toward the end, and I was clearly reliving a trauma. My body wasn't in the present anymore, I wasn't safe, I was trapped somewhere stressful, unable to climb up, and it only stopped when I got into my father's car. But no memory that I can recall can bring forth this kind of distress.

Another thing that seem to bring this distress out is rejection. But again, last time it happened, I dissociated. I remember being in a crisis moment, sweating blood and then nothing. Like I got high in a matter of seconds, but I didn't take anything. The pain just stopped and I felt like I was on a cloud. A cloud underwater would explain it better.

Does EMDR require the person to feel distress in order to heal it? I don't remember the root cause of the distress. I know it, but I don't recall it. Reading on it, it seems you need to go back to the memory and release the bad emotions related to it, but I can't feel those emotions. They must be there but I can't seem to find them if that makes any sense.

Something tells me a lot of us have this challenge?
Riv3rW0lf

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Relationship status: Estranged; Complicated

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2022, 06:28:42 PM »

Well, God is laughing at me right now.

The day after I wrote about being unsure if EMDR would work on me, I found the only free therapist in my town ... And he specializes in ... Trauma, parental alienation and EMDR!

I guess I will know soon enough if it works on me or not.

No coincidences !
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest