Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 09:00:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mother's Day Text from a friend- Powerful and Poignant Read  (Read 396 times)
madeline7

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: May 11, 2022, 09:15:20 AM »

On Mother's Day I received this text from a friend in my Book Club; a "quote" from Cheryl Strayed, who is an author.

There are so many kinds of mother. The mothers you cherish and celebrate. The mothers who were never really there. The mothers who broke you. Who built you. The mothers who cheered you on. Who chipped away at you until you were dust.
The mothers who reveled in your astonishing intelligence and grace and power. Who saw only their light. The mothers who die painfully young. The mothers who lived so long you felt yourself disintegrating with them. Petal by wilted petal.
The mothers who shined. Who dimmed. Who did their best. Who disappointed.  Who redeemed themselves. Who zigged and zagged. The mothers who were a beacon. The mothers you never knew. The mothers who sewed themselves into the quilt you became. The mothers who couldn't bear to tell the truth. The mothers who were brave.
The mothers who didn't know who they were without you. Who never saw you no matter how wildly you waved. The mothers you call. The mothers you no longer speak to. The mothers who take you for granted. Or treasure. The dead mothers. The mothers you have to search for and carry.
The mothers like a limb. The mothers like a mirror. The mothers like a flame. The mothers you wish. The mothers you ache. The mothers you echo. The mothers you wanted to be. The mothers you became. I am thinking of you. I am holding you all.

Like I said in my topic line, powerful and poignant. Sending hugs to all of you.

zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 11:46:15 AM »

Thank you. So powerful, meaningful, and true. We all lose when we cling to narratives that everybody with a certain title is the same. Not all clergy members are good people, as we learned with the sexual abuse of so many young boys in the catholic church. There are a wide range of types of mothers, and so many of us on PSI have been told to worship our mothers, when we were abused. Maybe on future Mother's Days, there can be more discussion and education about healthy mothering and how to support people who never had a mother who loved them. I saw one interesting article about a single gay father who had consulted the school principal about how to address the practice of children making gifts for their mothers for Mother's Day.

Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 05:45:03 PM »

madeline7,

Thank you for sharing that. It puts into words what we need as an adult child of a BPD parent. We could send ourselves that in a card for Mother's Day each year, just for us!

With affection (click to insert in post)
Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
Methuen

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 06:27:22 PM »

That was beautiful.  I thought: "one person outside our forum who gets it"!

Her quote is a keeper. 
lm1109

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 08:11:07 PM »

This is SO good! Cheryl Strayed is an author that I really love...but I'd never read this. I wish more people recognized and normalized the complexities of Mothers. Thank you for sharing.  With affection (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest