Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 11:21:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adult child has just broken all contact  (Read 511 times)
Janesays4171
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« on: August 02, 2022, 09:31:41 PM »

This is my first post so bear with me…

My adult child has just broken off all contact with me. This has been all of a sudden and I am just shocked and heartbroken. Has called me a narcissistic parent. All of their life I have always been there for them, through thick and thin. Always been the shoulder to cry on…always been the one they called when they had put themselves in a very bad situation and has to rescue them…always been the one that accepted them as they are and not who they should be…always there to protect them from anything.

What should my next steps be?

I know I will not be petty. No matter how hurt I am I will not snub them when they come back into my life.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 09:32:49 AM »

Hi Janesays4171, welcome to the group.

The "out of the blue" severing of the relationship does sound shocking, especially after all the years you've tried to be so supportive. I'm so sorry this is what has brought you here, though this is definitely a group that understands what you're going through.

Excerpt
What should my next steps be?

Great question, so a few questions from me first, to get a better feel for your situation:

how old is your adult child, and is your child living at home?

do you have any other children, and are any of them in contact with the cwBPD (child with BPD)?

are you married, and if so how is your relationship with your spouse?

was your child able to hold down a job, be relatively self sustaining/have success in other areas of life, or was there more struggle with day to day stuff?

Excerpt
I know I will not be petty. No matter how hurt I am I will not snub them when they come back into my life.

Janesays4171, that's such an important mindset to have. Adult children wBPD are on their own journeys, and often use low-skill and hurtful ways to communicate that they need more space. You are absolutely right to work on not taking it personally and to be available and not in "payback mode" if/when your child is ready to come back.

In that vein, it'll be really important to take good care of yourself in this season where your child isn't in your life as much. The healthier and more stable you can become, the better when you have more contact with your child again. I'm curious about whether you're seeing a counselor/therapist for yourself at all? Any hobbies/interests that are positive and relaxing for you?

When there's a person in our lives with BPD, we need much more support and self care than usual, so I hope you have some opportunities there.

Let us know how you're doing these days;

kells76
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest