Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 10:33:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sad  (Read 611 times)
yellowbutterfly

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: DIVORCED and in recovery from PTSD

sad
« on: October 22, 2022, 07:15:15 PM »

I am feeling very sad and depressed lately. I think the trauma from abuse from my stbx uBPDH is catching up with me and causing me a lot of anxiety. I'm trying to focus on the good and that I will be ok, but feeling very alone.

Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 06:17:09 PM »

Hey yellowbutterfly,

It makes a lot of sense that you might have a delayed response to what you went through. Sometimes when we are in the thick of dealing with BPD chaos and drama, we stay in survival mode, focusing not on how we feel but on what must get done to move forward. I wonder if that rings true for you?

And now, it's like a big wave that has piled up -- if you'd had time in the past to deal with the trauma as it happened, maybe it wouldn't be such a big wave, but now it is. Close at all?

The loneliness is hard. What would you want to express or communicate, if there were someone who would totally understand you?

How have the last couple days been for you?
PearlsBefore

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 07:36:20 PM »

As someone once explained it in a support group, it's like you're driving along in your little Kia obeying all the rules of the road maybe driving a few kilometres over the limit to keep up with traffic...and you see your partner has a Killdozer Humvee Tank wantonly destroying everything in their path, shooting at pedestrians, blazes in their wake, fire hydrants doing what fire hydrants do in movies...and then YOU get pulled over and given a ticket.

Cast not your pearls before swine, lest they trample them, and turn and rend you. --- I live in libraries; if you find an academic article online that you can't access but might help you - send me a Private Message.
yellowbutterfly

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 07:47:32 AM »

ok @pearlsbeforeswine, this made me laugh out loud this morning.

yellowbutterfly

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 08:05:31 AM »

Hey yellowbutterfly,

It makes a lot of sense that you might have a delayed response to what you went through. Sometimes when we are in the thick of dealing with BPD chaos and drama, we stay in survival mode, focusing not on how we feel but on what must get done to move forward. I wonder if that rings true for you?

And now, it's like a big wave that has piled up -- if you'd had time in the past to deal with the trauma as it happened, maybe it wouldn't be such a big wave, but now it is. Close at all?

The loneliness is hard. What would you want to express or communicate, if there were someone who would totally understand you?

How have the last couple days been for you?

@kells76, this is so accurate. I was in full survival mode living with him and trying to make my exit plan. My T and I have discussed how the "wave" of trauma has surfaced now that I'm getting MY life back together and able to function everyday without his drama. I was living in fight or flight mode and so I wasn't able to process what was happening to me. It's like late-onset grief or trauma.

Thanks for asking these questions to get me thinking, I really appreciate it and I've noticed how thoughtful you and others on the board are able to ask about hard topics in constructive ways.

It's less that I'm lonely, more that I was struggling with how I got into this situation and why. I've delved into these matters with my T and all the reading I've been doing. Though, I struggle with generalized anxiety and even with good tools sometimes the blanket anxiety just takes over. For me it's a feeling of indescribable dread and then a lot of procrastination or rumination where I can't get anything really done. Walking or exercising helps get out of the funk but not always.

I'm actually happier too! Being away from his abuse cycle has made me realize just how horrible it was for me. I feel and look like myself again but I'll be even stronger/better equipped in the long run. I recognize myself again. He beat me down so much emotionally that I didn't even know who I was anymore.

The worst though is we are still going through the divorce process and so while we have zero interaction, thank goodness for enforced NC, I still have to deal with logisitcs through the lawyers. From the first day he understand that I was serious that I wanted a divorce, he launched insanely agressive defamation campagins. This at first was the most damaging. Now, it's more like ugh again? So it's not the topics, just the general stress that this is taking on me.

I have healthy ways of coping though: meditation, seeing rational humans such as friends/family, a safe place to live, a great T, support from so many areas. I'm healthy, not drinking, trying to workout and eat well, and overall it's tracking. My T said she's incredibly proud of me with regards of HOW quickly I was able to process and get out of the relationship to how much work we've done. She's right but still I have hard days. Luckily, I see her 2x per week.

The last couple of days have been really hard. I'm definitley depressed and though I'm taking medication, I think I need to talk to my doctor about if it's still working. This has been a roller coaster of a relationship and the healing journey hasn't been a straight path, nor did I expect it to be. I guess, I just feel relieved, happy, sad, all the emotions that are expected. I can manage my emotions well and I'm learning so much about myself. Mostly, it's the fact it's not really over with the lawyers and his antics and that he's living in my HOME where I'm not allowed to access my things. I worry I'm going to go back to something he's destroyed (of course there is legal recourse) but it's the unknown of what he might do that is bothering me with this.

Meditation has been especially helpful these last few weeks. My ability to concentrate and general anxiety hasn't of course.

Thank you for asking me and allowing me to write here, quite cathartic.

tina7868
Ambassador

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 01:07:46 PM »

Hi yellowbutterfly! I just wanted to write this message to say I can relate, and admire that you have found healthy ways to cope.

Excerpt
This has been a roller coaster of a relationship and the healing journey hasn't been a straight path, nor did I expect it to be. I guess, I just feel relieved, happy, sad, all the emotions that are expected. I can manage my emotions well and I'm learning so much about myself.

I think a lot of us share the sentiment of having been on a roller coaster. However, as you expressions, you can gain a lot of insight about yourself. You sound like you are handling yourself well.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest