Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 01:58:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you take on some of their traits more when you detach from them?  (Read 272 times)
NarcsEverywhere

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Living Together

« on: January 16, 2023, 08:30:15 AM »

So like, when I broke up with my exGF with BPD like 10 years ago (we were together for about 10 years), I remember thinking I had BPD, and noticing a lot of the same attributes, like I would have black and white thinking, intense shame, guilt, my ego got bigger, victim mentality, etc.

Now, I'm noticing a similar pattern, now that I broke off my relations with 2 people who probably had BPD, and have detached more from my Dad who has some of the issues. Like, normally, even despite my relations with these people, I was pretty grounded in reality, and normally had good self esteem, didn't think in absolutes, my ego was mostly in check, but not always, I didn't view myself as a victim, etc.

So what's the deal? Why does detaching, and seeing through their illusion, cause this? Obviously, I think some of it was affecting me during these friendships and what not, but it seems to get way worse after. And I've seen people on these boards express similar things.

My theories:

All their "love" is reduced to ashes, and what you're left with is a pile of lies, all their projections, and gaslighting and such, this leaves you without the positive element of the relationship, and all the negative crap that they pile on you, which is mostly them dumping their issues onto you.

The betrayal itself causes a lot of similar attitudes, because you feel a sense of trauma, like they feel, which can lead to devaluing/hatred, which can eat away at you.

Anyone have any insight on this?

BigEasyHeart

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: broken up

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 10:07:26 AM »

So like, when I broke up with my exGF with BPD like 10 years ago (we were together for about 10 years), I remember thinking I had BPD, and noticing a lot of the same attributes

Hi NarcsEverywhere,

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. I've had something similar and brought it up with my therapist, who assured me I did not have BPD. However, the breakup was and is a traumatic experience for me and it sounds like it was for you as well. Trauma responses (e.g., betrayal trauma) have a lot of overlap with BPD.

You might also look into a concept referred to as projective identification. I'm not sure if this quite fits what you are saying but it might have some relevance.

Thanks for posting by the way. It's good to know I'm not the only one who has had these thoughts!
NarcsEverywhere

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Living Together

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 10:18:06 AM »

Hey thanks for your response BigEasyHeart. I'll look into projective identification. I do find that I'm so angry and sometimes hateful towards them, that my biggest fear is to be like them (them being people with Narcissism who are abusing people, and mainly the people who have hurt me), so I tend to compare a lot of what I do to them, and really have to talk myself down from believing I'm like them. It's gotten better though.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest