Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 07:12:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EMDR - Anyone experienced it applied on pwBPD?  (Read 341 times)
Outdorenthusiast

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married - uBPDw

The road is narrow…

« on: March 21, 2023, 09:33:21 PM »

So along with additional misdiagnoses - my pwBPD has been told she is PTSD.  Soo she is being recommended for EMDR.

Anyone experienced it being used? Does it help? Hurt? Waste of time? Thoughts and experiences?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Amina

Relationship status: Troubled

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 10:37:28 AM »

Though my partner has undiagnosed emotional unstable personality and after years of describing situations to my therapist thinks he would benefit from DBT and attachment based therapy, she also uses the word PTSD because sometimes splitting is from complex childhood trauma, and if someone is undiagnosed BPD, it makes sense to use the word PTSD instead.  Imagine a defense mechanism like splitting protecting someone to still care about an abusive parent that a 2 year old absolutely has no choice but to rely on.   It's sad.  I'm sorry I don't know anything about EMDR, but I wish you and your partner luck in a healing journey.
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 11:47:48 AM »

I have had EMDR therapy and it was the most helpful of all the therapy I did. I do not have BPD though probably have some traits as I was raised by a mother with BPD. The EMDR therapy was extremely overwhelming and I always disassociated for several days afterwards until my therapist said she was only giving me a one hour session due to cost, and the real treatment protocol was a one and half hour session. Once we did the one and half hour sessions and my therapist took time to put me back together before I left, I was fine. It was really healing and life changing. My therapist quit giving EMDR because of  how her clients were so overwhelmed by it. I know many therapists now work with keeping the client in a zone where they can process, neither too overwhelmed with feelings or too shut down. You might do some research to see if EMDR is contraindicated for people with BPD. EMDR is the only talk therapy I would do now. For me, any other therapy I would do, would be some kind of body therapy that unlocks my frozen body parts and the stored feelings I carry in my body. There are many therapy modalities out there, and all the research shows that therapeutic success is based on the relationship between client and therapist not the modality used. You might begin your research with finding out who the really good therapists are in your area and what therapists and modalities they recommend for a client with BPD.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:55:32 AM by zachira » Logged

Amina

Relationship status: Troubled

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 02:20:38 PM »

Sexual abuse is very common in BPD, and I can see how EMDR would be helpful or utterly crippling to someone as an adult that is allowing it into conscious for the first time, and forgetting every defense mechanism that allowed them to survive up until this point.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest