Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 02:18:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EMDR therapy?  (Read 660 times)
Chief Drizzt

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: April 14, 2023, 10:06:45 AM »

My wife has been getting EMDR therapy - 2 days a week - and I’m not exactly sure how that is supposed to work.  Can anyone fill me in - and - is this therapy commonly used on patients with BPD? 

She is telling me she wants to stop going because she doesn’t think it’s doing her any good.  Keep in mind she does not think anything is wrong with her except being depressed…
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 12:10:05 PM by Chief Drizzt » Logged
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 11:05:52 AM »

Hey CD;

I'm guessing we're talking about EMDR therapy -- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing.

There's a reputable overview at Psychology Today of this modality. Our Psych Q&A section also has a discussion on EMDR as a treatment.

I have recently had one session of EMDR, and am in the middle of deciding whether to proceed or not (not because "it didn't work for me" but just because I can only see either my individual T or the EMDR T, and can't see them both at the same time).

Using my one data point, I can say that after one session I did notice a real, quantifiable decrease in the intensity of feelings/anxiety I had attached to a certain thought/fear. The decrease was less, though, with a different thought/fear. So different problems/anxieties/memories may respond differently to EMDR, or have different timelines for "success".

The practitioner I saw has completed "original" EMDR training and is currently in an "EMDR 2.0" training. I am not certain what the differences are.

I do trust this practitioner 100% and have chatted with someone else she has treated, who has had a lot of success.

Success and progress in EMDR will likely feel different than in traditional talk therapy or in other modalities.

There are other members here who have done more EMDR, who can share their experiences, too. So take mine as just one snapshot.

How long has your W been doing EMDR?

Do you think she is telling you she wants to stop going, because she wants you to decide for her? Or she's more just discussing her thoughts with you? Or...?

I'm guessing you don't have much say in what she does or doesn't do with therapy, so maybe the bigger question here (beyond "does EMDR work for BPD") is how you can navigate those times when she tells you "I don't think therapy is working".

What do you think?
JadedEmpath

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 01:10:25 PM »

Its my understanding that EMDR is theorized to help process through "blocks" in healing/desired change using rapid eye movement desensitization. Usually your brain processes through the day's events during REM sleep using rapid eye movement, so intentionally mimicking that REM in the therapy session is thought to work in a similar way. The therapist uses a tool or movement technique to create bilateral stimulation of the brain, and will ask the client to think or talk about the problem or problematic memory. Once the content of the thoughts or speech moves into a more positive direction naturally, the therapist will encourage the client to talk/think about a new thought/perspective to replace the problematic one. There is a lot of research out there showing its effectiveness, and that its generally pretty quick compared to other therapeutic modalities (generally 8 sessions). I'm not sure of how effective it is specifically for BPD. I would imagine it would be more helpful to your loved one if she has any past trauma that plays a role in her current symptoms.

https://www.emdr.com/what-is-emdr/
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 04:26:19 PM »

I don’t have BPD, but I have done EMDR. Twice.

The first time was about my fear of heights. When hiking, sometimes I’d be climbing up a steep rocky cliff, and oddly, going up was OK, but going down was terrifying.

I remember the first time after doing EMDR, I caught myself climbing down a rock ledge and suddenly I was aware I was missing the fear.

The other issue was being traumatized by my BPD mother and having a lot of triggers when I interacted with her. This was less dramatic, but I realized that I had gotten to a point where I just wasn’t buying into her drama.

How EMDR might affect someone with BPD is interesting to contemplate.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Chief Drizzt

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 11:29:34 AM »

Thanks all for the replies -

Kells - she’s been doing it for a few months though she has had a suicide attempt in the middle of it - so who knows if it’s really doing her any good or not.  Her big issue of not wanting the therapy is that she doesn’t want to do it twice a week - but twice a month. 

You bring up a very good point - navigating things if she drops therapy or drastically reduces it.  It’s hard to say.  I’m not really sure it’s doing her any good because she still has not been told by either her therapist or psychiatrist that she has it.  How can you get treatment for something you don’t think you have - or even know what it is?  Makes no sense to me.  So I’m not too worried about therapy per se - I’m worried about her not even being aware of BPD.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 01:55:53 PM »

Hey CD, good to hear back.

she’s been doing it for a few months though she has had a suicide attempt in the middle of it - so who knows if it’s really doing her any good or not.

As odd as it sounds, I wouldn't necessarily say that because she had a suicide attempt mid-therapy, that the therapy isn't working. (I also wouldn't conclude that that means that the therapy is working, either, FWIW.) It's possible that what you're seeing is "how the process looks", which is certainly not to minimize suicide attempts as "just something that happens" or "not a big deal". I think where I'm leaning is more that this is going to be a long haul, and there won't always be a 1:1 correlation between being in T (or being in T more often) and things going better. You've seen a snapshot of part of the process, and it's possible that only time will tell if that's a fluke or a trend. I know that isn't a super specific answer. I guess my thought is also -- you guys are 2 months in to her trying EMDR, and she's had a lifetime of issues. Sometimes things get worse before they get better, so if you can, give it some more time. Of course, if she makes more suicide attempts, more than she had before the EMDR, then that would be concerning.

Her big issue of not wanting the therapy is that she doesn’t want to do it twice a week - but twice a month.

Forgot to mention this in my earlier post, but after one session of EMDR, I was noticeably tired the next day. Could be that she has hit her limit for what she can manage with T. One way to reframe this could be, instead of disappointment that she isn't going more (and I'm with you there, it's disappointing that she wants to do less), there could be a way for you to validate her staying in it at all -- which I think we both agree is a lot better than her dropping it cold turkey.

So that could look like: "Honey, I'm confident that even though some days will be hard, you can stick with EMDR at a frequency that you and your T decide works for you, whatever that is."

That could help make therapy frequency not a hot-button topic and could reduce conflict about it between you guys. If she senses that you aren't pressuring her to do T one way or the other, that may help decrease what I've sometimes heard discussed here, about Pathological Demand Avoidance (some pwBPD, when they sense that someone wants them to do something, dig their heels in and resist, even if they actually want to do the thing).

You could consider turning any convo/discussion of T between you guys into a "validation target" opportunity, where instead of it being a conflict of "she wants to do less, I think she should do more", you can thoughtfully consider what there is in what she's saying that's valid, and validate that.

For example, it wouldn't be valid to tell her "You're absolutely right, you don't need that much therapy", or "anything you think is best, is obviously best". It could be more valid to affirm that if she and her T agree to every 2 weeks, you support that professional decision, and are so glad she is choosing to stay in T (or whatever sounds most like your words).

Basically, I wonder if there are ways to reduce relational conflict surrounding her therapy, so that it's one less area that is a conflict area, and so that she also doesn't just stubbornly drop it "because you are always forcing her to go" or whatever perception she might have.

You bring up a very good point - navigating things if she drops therapy or drastically reduces it.  It’s hard to say.  I’m not really sure it’s doing her any good because she still has not been told by either her therapist or psychiatrist that she has it.  How can you get treatment for something you don’t think you have - or even know what it is?  Makes no sense to me.  So I’m not too worried about therapy per se - I’m worried about her not even being aware of BPD.

That's really interesting that you raise that question in the context of EMDR. In my one session so far, the T made it very clear that this was not a "you have to talk about what happened" kind of modality. I could share with her if I wanted, but EMDR also works, as far as I can tell, with absolutely no content disclosure between the T and client. As long as the client is actually willing to think of a memory or feelings, and then report on "before and after" levels of intensity, it can work with zero discussion of symptoms, traits, behaviors, actions, etc. Now, that is the sticky wicket -- is your W authentically participating -- and ultimately that is something only she can know, not you, and not even the T. But if she's still open to going, that may indicate that there is something going on inside of her that she doesn't like and wants to change, and that's hopeful.

Where I'm at in my process is that I think there are things that happened in my past that I don't want to remember. I am running into some pretty huge hurdles that are getting bigger and that are getting associated with even going to therapy. But I know there's something going on. It is hard to know if it's that I can't work on it, or that I don't want to work on it -- and that's even with me being aware that there is resistance inside me somewhere to the process.

Even somatic work (being in touch with how the body feels, doing breathing/grounding exercises) is way too much for me right now, and that's one typical way that T's can "work around" a client not being able to remember or verbalize something. So with nothing that I can remember/verbalize, and huge hurdles to somatic work, is there anything I can do? Can I get treated for something where I have no idea what it even is?

At a meta level, yes, I think there is a lot that T's can do with clients in a "roundabout" way, without either the client needing to know/describe what's going on, or the T needing to label/diagnose. It may be that the T and psych are aware that giving your W a label/diagnosis "full on" could deeply destabilize her, or be too much too soon, or distract her focus away from improvement and towards obsessing over a diagnosis, or create too much shame for her to continue to engage, or something similar. The T & P may need to build significant trust with your W over time, to keep her engaged and coming back and not so overwhelmed with inner shame that she can't work with them. My suspicion would be that they see enough at a structural/logistical level (i.e., that they can see even from: how she makes appointments, how she emails/contacts them, what she doesn't bring up, body language, small talk, if/how she cancels appts, etc) to get a picture of what's going on with her. I think it's very possible that not diagnosing could be an intentional choice on the part of the P & T, versus "they don't see it, how can they help". It is very possible that because they see it, they're not labeling.

Anyway, that's a lot to ponder. Hopefully some of it is helpful, and brings some hope. It's a long haul, so my thought is that if you can be patient, play the long game, understand that the T's likely do see a lot more than we think, and find ways to make sure that therapy isn't a conflict source, things can get a little better for you and your W.

Let me know if I'm off base, of course...

kells76
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 02:41:52 PM »

And just to clarify --

I don't want to give the impression that a suicide attempt "is a normal part of the process" or is "not a big deal" or "just move past it". Not at all.

I think I was focusing on answering the questions: how do we know if therapy is working (in general), how does EMDR work/how do we know if it's working (in particular), and how do you navigate it when a spouse wants to decrease/drop therapy.

So if it seems like I wasn't focusing on her suicide attempt, that's on me for missing engaging with that question.

And that can be a really important question: how to navigate a partner's suicidality. I think I'd probably answer a little differently if that's the focus.

Please do keep me posted if I've missed talking about that. Happy to add that in to the discussion, as it's a serious issue, and having a plan and professional support (as the spouse) is really important, so it's not all on your shoulders.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest