Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 11:23:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you get over "the hump"?  (Read 679 times)
ConflictedWalrus

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorcing after 13 years.

« on: June 05, 2023, 01:20:28 PM »

We all know the five stages of grieving that come after leaving (or being left by) your BPD romantic partner. In some ways, the pain can be even worse when you have to remain in contact (for co-parenting, financial, or whatever other reasons)...

In my own journey, I feel like a real page turned in the last couple of weeks. I've gone from a point of emptyness / despair to a point of accepting my circumstances for what they are, being able to enjoy where I'm at in life, and actively working to better the things that are within my control. (You can see some or my story here https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=355582.0)

(I do recognize that grief is non-linear, and at any time something may happen which will set me back for a while. Even so, I'm glad to be on an upward trajectory.)

The change seems to have come pretty quick, all things considered. Personally, I see three big things that helped me to get over the hump:

• #1 - A favorable court hearing regarding custody, financial entanglements, etc...

This helped to eliminate a lot of the doubt surrounding visitation. It's a lot calmer coordinating uBPDstbxw's visits with S10 when I have a strong court order to fall back on.

• #2 - My uBPDstbxw's recent actions...

She's still living with the family of "a friend" (who happened to be an affair partner). On her most recent visitation, she took S10 to her new home -- I didn't ask many questions, but from what he was saying it sounds like she spends quite a bit of time with this "friend". Knowing she's still with the replacement makes it easier to let go.

Oddly enough, her cheerful demeanor in our latest interactions also helps. She seemingly has no functional concept of the pain she caused -- she is happy in her present moment with no signs of regret. I'm latching onto this as evidence of how she's wired differently (BPD). That way, if/when she tries to recycle, I'll be more ready to hold my boundaries and steer clear of re-engaging.

• #3 - A specific thing that was said...

This could fall under #2, but it stood out enough to warrant its own point...

It's been three weeks since either of us has brought up "relationship stuff", but the last time we did, the conversation got too emotionally intense. I re-entered guilt mode and made the mistake of saying I still had doubts about the divorce... Her response was that she was open to reconciling, but ultimately she was leaving it up to me as to whether we divorce or not.

Her response was our relationship in a nutshell: In the time we've been together, most of the effort towards the r/s has been on my part. She's rarely been able to put in a sustained effort to make it work.

Sarcastically put: When the going gets tough, the wife gets going... To other men.

But yeah... There's just something about the sheer indifference of that one response that I latched on to. It's like the proverbial pebble in my shoe...

• #4 - Bonus item: My Christian faith

Throwing this one in here for those with a spiritual bent... At first I was torn beyond the usual FOG because of my Christian faith. I've prayed a lot for counsel and wisdom through this process. With that, I've found a lot of resources which have helped me to accept that it's ok to move on.  God has given me peace in my decision to divorce.

A question to the forum:

How fast was your change from darkness to light? Did it seem to occur at the flip of a switch? Or did it take a couple of weeks / months / years with no one identifiable "moment that everything changed"?

What are some specific things that helped you "get over the hump"? ... Was it something your ex (or stbx) partner said? Something they did? An external change of circumstance?
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 09:47:29 PM »

I think you're on a good path of self awareness and analysis  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Mine left me for a young boy-toy and married him 1.5 years later. The kids' new step dad was 20 years younger than me. To say I was angry for a long time is an understatement. When she started calling and apologizing (in a self- centered BPD way) after cohabitation and huge fights, I was more angry... warning to those who need closure. Similarly, when she asked to come back... while still married to the other guy though separated. Surprisingly, that one didn't anger me as much.  

I also dealt with DV in the other house which was a tough time. I was on the verge of reporting her. Even so, by being kind, and my Christian therapist reminded me that there was nothing wrong with being kind, my ex trusted me for guidance, not her enabling friends.

Remember who you are and your values, put the safety and well- being of the kids first, even if certain things at the other home you don't agree with, and parallel parent as necessary.

This is your life now, even though your old life may have been taken away from you beyond your choices. I think trying to control outcomes is the biggest hurdle for most Detachers. I know I think a lot differently than I did even 5 years ago and certainly 9.5 years ago when I first landed here.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Warriorprincess

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 10:06:23 PM »

Dear ConflictedWalrus,
It's been a long while since I've posted on here; it'll be two years in August since my divorce from unBPDexW. I appreciate your question for the group about how they got over the hump, and I'm happy for you that you are in a better place. I don't feel that I am over the hump yet at all. I still hate my exW for what she did to me. And I am disgusted with myself for getting in the situation in the first place and feeling so trapped by it. I'm curious about two things you said that helped you feel better- 1) that your ex is still with the "replacement," and 2) that your ex feels no regret. I am angry about these two things with my exW. I want her to see her and the replacement broken up; am I just being petty? It's like I want to feel vindicated and say, "I told you it wasn't me." I also want to hear her apologize for all the terrible things she did to me.

I worry that wanting these things is delaying my healing. I'm still friends with some of exW's family and see pictures of exW and her replacement that make me sad and angry all over again. Actually though, just calling her the replacement feels pretty good. Maybe if I keep doing that, I can reframe the hurt. It kills me that the replacement gets to be with my stepkids and watch them grow up. I was with SS13 since he was 5; he'll be 14 next month and I'm going to miss it because exW won't let me see him. SS20 is turning 21 and he's chosen to side with his mom about me. It hurts after all I did for him but I know he's still in survival mode. I shouldn't begrudge them the replacement who I'm sure is nurturing them where exW cannot. How do I move on?

Warriorprincess

ConflictedWalrus

Relationship status: Divorcing after 13 years.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 01:28:51 PM »

Hi Warriorprincess, sorry for the long delay in response. (Side note: Your name kind of amused me because "Xena the Warrior Princess" was one of if my ex's childhood heroes. Early in our r/s (circa 12 years ago) she used to have it on a lot in the background at home.)

I think our routes to healing may vary, as our situations are somewhat different.

Difference #1: You still have friendships within your ex's family / people group. In my case, uBPDstbxw was already estranged from most of her family and pretty much disowned any mutual friends. As such, my exposure to "news" or "updates" about her is very limited.

Difference #2: In my case, I've effectively got full custody of our son. In your case, the kids went with the ex which gives you a whole extra layer of strained and relationships to process.

I'm blessed to have minimal entanglements, which means I can spend more time/focus on building my new life apart from her.

Excerpt
I'm curious about two things you said that helped you feel better- 1) that your ex is still with the "replacement," and 2) that your ex feels no regret. I am angry about these two things with my exW.

Both of these things did upset me, but being upset was the kick in the pants I needed to really internalize what was going on and begin to move on. If I were to elaborate on the thought processes, they would be along the lines of:

• She is with my replacement. Therefore, she considers me replacable... I do not want to be with someone who views me as replacable.
  • She left a 13 year marriage, financial stability, and her son for someone she had only just met days prior... I do not want my life to be subject to someone who acts so irrationally.
  • She is only bothered by "what she lost", not the "harm that she caused"... I do not want to be with someone who treats my own wants/needs with such disregard.

I was devastated at first because she chose to leave me, but now I can look to the "she... / I..." statements above and re-frame it as here is why I am choosing not to re-engage with her.

I'll also mention: One of my greatest fears early on was "what if she tries to come back?". Knowing that I was especially vulnerable to a recycle attempt, it was very reassuring to know that she was still occupied with the replacement.

Now that I'm a bit further along, I still deal with some guilt and a bit of fear (especially right now -- I think her situation may be starting to destabilize), but I'm less vulnerable because of the "she... / I..." re-framing. I can lean on those statements to remind me that I'm doing the right thing.

Excerpt
I want her to see her and the replacement broken up; am I just being petty? It's like I want to feel vindicated and say, "I told you it wasn't me." I also want to hear her apologize for all the terrible things she did to me.

All of those statements you made point to one thing: Seeking closure. This is another area that I struggled with.

There's nothing wrong with wanting closure, but all three scenarios you give (her new r/s collapsing, being able to say it wasn't you, or getting an apology) hinge on her giving you that closure. I desperately wanted her to provide closure, but every time I tried to find it in my interactions with her it just put me deeper into unsettled feelings, depression, and FOG.

Eventually I had to accept that her inability to maintain healthy relationships also precludes her ability to provide closure. Instead, I came to realize that any closure I receive will have to come from within, and not from what she does or says.

In a way, detachment and radical acceptance give me closure.

As an example:
  • I recently found out third-hand (casual mutual acquaintance, not familiar with the full details of our situation) that the ex is accusing me of being abusive.
  • Old me (closure "from her"): I would have gotten defensive / embarrassed with the third-hand source. I would then have called the ex out on it, tried to reason with her, tried to understand why she feels I have been abusive, etc... In a "perfect dream world", she would apologize and admit things weren't true... In reality the whole thing would just turn into an argument and leave me feeling even more betrayed.
  • New me (closure from "within"): I thank the third-hand source for their openness in sharing (since it's akward to tell someone they're being accused of abuse) and acknowledge that this isn't the first time the ex has said such things. I would then NOT contact my ex, and instead just remind myself that abuse allegations are her way of gaining sympathy and that they are a reflection of who she is, not who I am.

So in one scenario, resolution relies on her responses (giving her power over me). In the other, it doesn't rely on anything she does at all (eliminating her power over me).

Excerpt
How do I move on?

Back to the differences in our scenarios... I don't have specific advice, but I do want to re-emphasize having a lack of entanglements.

Do you find your continued friendships with the ex's family are mostly to your betterment or to your detriment?

Are there ways you can limit the flow of information and lessen your exposure to news of how your ex is doing?
Warriorprincess

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 01:09:10 AM »

“She is with my replacement. Therefore, she considers me replacable... I do not want to be with someone who views me as replacable.
She left a 13 year marriage, financial stability, and her son for someone she had only just met days prior... I do not want my life to be subject to someone who acts so irrationally.
She is only bothered by "what she lost", not the "harm that she caused"... I do not want to be with someone who treats my own wants/needs with such disregard.”

Dear ConflictedWalrus,

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I apologize for the long delay in my reply as well. I’ve been thinking a lot about what to do and how to move on from multiple past abusive situations. I’ve decided to seek help from a treatment program for complex trauma. I’m currently on the waitlist for the program and really look forward to joining. I agree that closure will only come from within myself; it’s not something she’s capable of giving, and I cannot keep hoping for it from her. I also know I need to limit the information flow about her, and I went a month without trying to see anything about her. But today is her birthday so I caved in and saw many things that made me sad. This is self-defeating and I hope to soon give it up for good.

In the meantime, your answers and advice are spot on. I love what I quoted above, such great reasons to reject wishing that the relationship had worked or wanting to try again. I’m not replaceable, nor do I want someone who is irrational. And the disregard for my wants and needs is unforgivable. I wonder sometimes when I’m feeling depressed if it would help at all to try to be happy for her and the replacement? Maybe they’re made for each other, since snippets I hear from her suggest that they both can be controlling and cruel. No way do I want anything to do with a relationship like that.

Thank you again for all your support,
Warriorprincess

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest