Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 28, 2024, 10:09:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perfectly tortuous, yet unintentional? behaviors & My obsessive fixing behaviors  (Read 286 times)
AmorphousThird
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Partnered

« on: July 04, 2023, 01:40:49 PM »

Reading what others in this community have shared over the years been such a significant help for me.  I am so grateful.  This is my first post about my relationship. 

Right off the bat, I really don't know if I should be posting in "Detaching and Learning after a Failed Relationship" or "Bettering a Relationship...".  This is indicative of the unhealthy state of my mind and heart.  Always hovering around limbo land and confusion.  Sometimes feeling an alliance to one side or the other, only to be sucked back into the void.

To be honest, I do not have the energy to tell my whole story at the moment, although it is essentially a story that is told so many times on these boards.  It's been a 7 year relationship.
 No kids.  No diagnosis.  I love her, I care about her, I have never intellectually connected with anyone nearly so much.  Our senses of humor are totally aligned, even our values and much of our goals (read: outside of those values involved in intimate relationships).  These goals are unconventional—such as finding ways to live minimally and close to the land—which therefore makes connecting with someone around them so much more impactful.

I find my questioning and exploratory style, my "openness to experience", desire to find common ground, and my strong tendency towards compassion and empathy does not lend itself to someone who can withstand the confusion, mind-effery, and destruction of this type of relationship.  My boundaries are bulldozed in the name of her "boundaries" (I think they are actually controlling demands).  There is no concept of compromise.  How can someone who is so smart and perceptive be so incapable of constructive conversation?  But so good at dominating conversations and masterful at twisting things up?  (She has a doctorate degree in rhetoric, for better or for worse...). She can acutely discern the problems with society and even much of modern culture's psychology, and yet she does not seem to be able to see the extreme, glaring, over the top punishing projection she dishes out.  (Somehow, is it so glaring that it is blinding to her?)

In her, I sometimes conceptualize it as BPD, and sometimes as a type of covert narcissism.  I have been trying to get us going with therapy for years.  She oscillates between committing to trying it and then suddenly pulling the rug out and pointing to some wild card reason—often, something I did (or didn't do) to make her feel "unsafe".  I tell her I believe her that she feels unsafe in the relationship (she has always had difficulty trusting me) and I would like to help her however I can to feel more safe (so I can feel safe too).  She acts like these gestures are insincere or just ignores them all together.  I give so much energy trying to sooth her insecurities and suspicions only to be harshly rejected.  It took me a long time to see it because I just could never fathom it, but she does not want to be soothed. In the meantime, if I have any feeling or concern I'd like to express, that is somehow an attack on her, and is grounds for getting yelled at, sometimes to the point of raging, stonewalling, or being told I need to make it up to her in some way.  (She used to use the term "damage control" to a dizzying extent.) 

I have brought up BPD for her in the past and I think I am mostly glad I have because I can tell she has been doing some research...even if it is to turn it around and call me Cluster B (usually a narcissist) for trying to calmly and respectfully communicate my feelings, or possibly for making a mistake in how I communicate (maybe I am irritable and sharp) only to apologize quickly (and repetitively as the rage at my mistake ensues...). I think she also easily latches on to me being a narcissist because I struggle with self-esteem and have social anxiety and therefore have opened up to her about how I worry about what people think of me.  This is something I don't like about myself and am working on, and I will not deny that it can make me "narcissistic" in ways.  It is so hard to acknowledge this nuance without someone letting that mean that I have the major, unapproachable issues that I see her to have.  (I also feel I make myself vulnerable by sharing my insecurities and trouble areas as well as my childhood trauma and abuse that I believe led to them.)

Due to this relationship, and as both a child of a mother who I believe has BPD, and a grad (and lifelong) student of psychology, I have spent so much time and energy studying Cluster B.  In an effort to understand, to be validated, and to learn how to do everything I can...I believe the research and learning has become obsessive.

A couple of questions. 

1. What do you all think about the level of intentionality behind the projections and twisting?  It all seems so perfectly designed and executed and yet...I don't believe she is (at least mostly) aware she is doing it.  It is as though there are two minds operating.  One that highjacks the other while dosing the other with a serum with multiple actions: selective amnesia, rationalization (essentially changing one's beliefs on the turn of a dime), and a collaging of facts to fabricate a story where the projected upon other is doing the very things she is...  It is torture to the other.  I understand the need for defense mechanism—where they come from and how they once truly kept her safe—but why, oh why, must they be so intricately tortuous to the other?

2.  Does anyone else out there struggle with obsessive thinking, not just within the BPD relationship, but in general?  Or OCD?  I find my tendency to obsess over communications and being understood accurately to really be a perfectly awful mix with the specific defense mechanisms of Cluster B.  At this point, even with all of the awareness I have, and the distance I have created between myself and my parter, I am worried that this will keep me looped in.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 04:20:47 PM »

Intentionality behind the projections and twisting?

Since BPD is a disorder of shame and self-loathing, I would imagine that behind the projections and twisting of reality is a desire to protect a fragile ego. It’s similar to hearing little kids say “No I’m not bad, you’re bad.”

Wanting to communicate accurately and be understood seems like a normal human desire to deepen relationships and experience emotional intimacy. Like you, my desire for accurate communication ofttimes elicits a defensive response from my partner. When I ask for clarification, he can feel attacked. To get around this, I expose my (seeming) vulnerability (I’m pretty thick-skinned at this point—so it’s no big deal either way) and tell him something to the effect of needing to have clarity in order to feel safe (it was true at some point in the relationship). That will buy me some tolerance so that I can actually parse what he is trying to say, without him shutting down and saying either “never mind” or “it’s not important.”

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 04:51:30 PM »

Welcome

i moved your thread here, not to suggest one way or another that you stay or go, but because its the best place to start in choosing a path.

Excerpt
Does anyone else out there struggle with obsessive thinking, not just within the BPD relationship, but in general?  Or OCD?

yes. youre in good company  Welcome new member (click to insert in post). i didnt know anything about bpd until after my relationship ended. its valuable to have that.

i would strongly agree with you when it comes to that "need to be understood". i would venture to guess that it was a part of what attracted you to her in the first place.

we all have a need to be understood. to be seen, heard, validated, appreciated, connected. i realized some time after my relationship that i probably had a higher than average need for it. i realized it colored the types of partners i chose, or really connected with. i realized it effected how i dealt with conflict, how i saw myself, how i saw myself in relation to others, my perception of how others saw me. it certainly played a role in my relationship, and the aftermath.

mirroring is a term that is thrown around a lot, frequently incorrectly, and frequently as a pejorative. mirroring is a good thing, in general. it is essential for bonding.

a higher than average need to be understood might also be thought of as a higher than average need for mirroring - a need that people with bpd traits are unconsciously drawn to, and especially adept at meeting. at first. until they cant, and until they resent first themselves, and then you for making them. this is the fear of engulfment.

you dont have to have a higher than average need to be understood to be involved in this dynamic (and if you do, it is a thing, neither good nor bad). but i say all of this because if this is you, at all, then a focus on it will help you incalculably, whether you decide to invest in your relationship, or detach from it.

which sort of brings me to my next point. obviously, you dont have to do so today, but it will ultimately help to choose a path, and be all in. you are not likely to see improvement in your relationship without a complete and total reinvestment (which you shouldnt make without both a hard and realistic assessment of the relationship itself, and loving someone with bpd traits). once you commit to one or the other, it is easier to plan what that looks like.

it will also help to learn the tools on this board. i learned them years after my breakup, and they improved all of my relationships, of all kinds.

one thing you may want to consider, if you arent already, that would help in choosing and staying on a path would be to see a therapist yourself.

some people are naturally and highly distrustful of therapy and therapists. and/or afraid. anyone with a "problem" (addiction, mental illness) has an inherently difficult time seeing themselves, seeing "the problem". it seems short of a "im leaving if you dont" ultimatum, youre unlikely to talk her into joint therapy for now. in fact (and im no skeptic of couples therapy or family therapy) it could even go very badly, for a variety of reasons, if you did.

if you go by yourself, it will not only help you, but it could make her more likely to go herself. be advised, however, that doing so may cause a rift itself. she may be self conscious or fearful of what youre saying to the therapist, or what theyre saying to you. she may notice change in you, and become hypervigilant about it, and test the attachment by acting out. thats not to discourage you from doing it, but to recognize it when and if it happens.

Excerpt
something I did (or didn't do) to make her feel "unsafe".

when someone with bpd traits actually communicates "i feel ______", take it at face value. not necessarily because you did or didnt do something in particular. but because a "clear" communication of feelings and/or needs is harder to come by than the usual dysfunctional methods. part of loving someone with bpd traits means learning to sift through the verbal storms for the underlying emotion or need. of course, people with bpd traits naturally and pathologically "feel unsafe", but believe it or not, it is possible (not guaranteed) to build greater trust and safety in a relationship with one!

so for example, take her at face value that the idea of going to couples therapy (and i assume therapy in general) makes her feel unsafe. she will point to any reason she needs to validate that fear. its not likely to change unless that feeling/fear does. '

Excerpt
I have brought up BPD for her in the past and I think I am mostly glad I have
I think she also easily latches on to me being a narcissist

well, you did kinda start it  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

this is part of the peril in telling a loved one you think they have a personality disorder. because inevitably, it can become a stand in for the conflict in the relationship, and polarize both parties: "you have a problem that needs help", "no, you have a problem that needs help", except that it includes "wait a minute, you think its me? so this" is how you really feel about me?"

she latches onto it because its a sore spot for you, and its a sore spot for her. your reaction probably comes from that need to be understood (or feeling misunderstood). and that reaction validates and/or soothes her.

Excerpt
1. What do you all think about the level of intentionality behind the projections and twisting?  It all seems so perfectly designed and executed and yet...I don't believe she is (at least mostly) aware she is doing it.  It is as though there are two minds operating.  One that highjacks the other while dosing the other with a serum with multiple actions: selective amnesia, rationalization (essentially changing one's beliefs on the turn of a dime), and a collaging of facts to fabricate a story where the projected upon other is doing the very things she is...  It is torture to the other.  I understand the need for defense mechanism—where they come from and how they once truly kept her safe—but why, oh why, must they be so intricately tortuous to the other?

you may have heard it said, something like "people with bpd traits have emotional 3rd degree burns".

while there is not a definitive answer (there may be several different answers, or none, depending on which thing you take), think about what that entails. incredible sensitivity and reactivity (emotional pain and the need to unload it against the perceived cause). if youre in that state though, youre highly emotionally aroused. i always thought that sort of explained why my ex wouldnt remember some of the awful things she said or did. it could explain the lack of coherency, the jumping every which direction. emotional dysregulating is like emotionally blacking out.

as for those awful things? people with bpd traits are pretty good about knowing what your absolute limits are, coming right up to them, maybe kicking something over the edge, maybe kicking the edge itself back, but they are pretty good about not fully crossing them. when you have the sort of relationship that is necessary in order for it to thrive, when you have trust, safety, validation and support, as much as you can realistically and consistently have these things because your partner will always struggle, its easier for both parties to agree to put certain things in the "never" category. even in my own relationship, we managed to do that on a few things.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 04:56:39 PM by once removed » Logged

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 07:23:41 PM »

Your insecurities about what other think of you is not a form of narcissism. It is a need for validation due to low self confidence. Unfortunately it is this that makes us vulnerable to both people with BPD or NPD as we react too positively to their initial mirroring and sales pitch. This places the "drug attachment" very early in the piece and we constantly strive to get back to this "mirage". Most people who have not dealt with this type of personality before will not recognise it, and easily walk right into it if they don't have their own sense of self intact to stand alone. Ultimately chasing this fix does more long term damage, destroying our sense of self, rather than providing the fix we need.

Why does she act this way while being able to objectively talk the talk, and use it, while isolating it from her own actions? Thats is due to very low, to nil empathy and an ability to compartmentalize their behaviours. One rule applies here, and one there, unless there is an advantage in objectively and selectively weaponizing it for personal advantage. any attempts by you to point this out or make her accountable will be seen as a direct attack on her personal space and trigger the victim stance.

Why so slick at it? They have thought this way their whole life, it is second nature, they do not know any other way of thinking, it is perfected and consolidated. Thats why trying talk it out wont work as they dont speak your language and dont have your life experiences as they cant see things through your eyes.

Bottomline is this is the way they are, it is the way they always will be, you cant substantially change that. Yes they can sometimes lay over a mirrored persona to please someone, for a while. This persona is managed, it is not a change it is not the product of a lifetimes experiences as it is with a non disordered person. So like the initial mirroring phase it will crack and you will be back in the same place again. Disordered is always there, it is not a case of "episodes" with normality in between. It just sometimes clashes and sometimes doesn't. The issue/drama of the day are just symptoms so when we get wrapped up trying to solve them we are just putting band aids on the blisters, not fixing the infection beneath. It heals nothing, hence it will just continue.

So you either have to learn to live with how they are, or move away, you can't "fixed it" just like you cant teach a cat to bark

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest