Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 08:51:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: avoiding escalation  (Read 189 times)
brainsoup
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: dating

« on: November 29, 2023, 02:00:23 AM »

hello hello hello
sorry if the topic has been discussed before
i am new here...

my romantic partner exhibits BPD traits
he has not been diagnosed

we were recently supposed to attend a therapy meeting together as he is aware that 'something is wrong' (his own words) he had suggested the therapy, begging me to come back after 3 months without contact

just before the meeting he ended up leaving as he has been doing compulsively for the better of 5 years (he must have 'left' at least 20 times). the reasons differ over time, but they always have to do with me, and enter a complete dead end

i am very fond of this person. i questioned my love for him at times as it has been extremely painful, and though he never was physically abusive, he certainly was verbally violent

over time he has asked me to not 'just let him go' when he leaves and exits the discussion, to try and stay in touch with him

i am stepping on my pride here, and doing that, trying to reengage in discussion, but i really don't know if it's of any help as he his re-affirming some rather horrible things he said and heavily gaslighting by transforming the discussion

i wan't to help our relationship but i also want to safeguard my mental health

i am seeing a therapist and discussing my own health, but i don't feel like it's the right place to seek counsel as to how to deal with my relationship

any advice?

thanks!
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Jabiru
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 09:05:10 AM »

Hi and welcome Welcome new member (click to insert in post) It's up to you if you want to pursue the relationship. I can say that relationships with pwBPD can get better if you work at it but there will still be conflict that likely wouldn't occur in a "normal" relationship. It's a special needs kind of relationship like you've seen.

Other than that, check out the Tips menu at the top of the page for good info or read others' stories
 here.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest