Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 01:50:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leading the pwbpd towards therapy…  (Read 173 times)
thankful person

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

Formerly known as broken person…

« on: December 22, 2023, 03:48:22 PM »

Has anyone successfully convinced or encouraged their pwbpd to seek therapy (to make that decision for themselves)? My dbpdw has been through therapy years ago and she is adamant that she doesn’t need it and it wouldn’t help her and that I am the problem in our relationship.

But.

Today she suddenly announced: “I’m p*ssed off about everything all the time and I’m p*ssed off that I’m p*ssed off about everything and that I’m coming across to our kids like I’m always p*ssed off.”

P*ssed off may not be used so much in USA but it’s somewhere on the scale of irritated to angry. It sounds almost like an admission that she recognises she has a problem? I didn’t say anything but just wondered if there’s a way I could use this to encourage her to get help with her unhappy state, I know she will still have bpd but maybe could learn to manage herself better if that’s what she wants…

Btw I believe this was in response to an incident where D4 told her that she wanted to hold my hand not hers and when asked why told my wife she liked me and not w. This was obviously hurtful but thankfully we were in a public place so w took it calmly.

“Maybe I’ll get it right next time…” from “Estranged” by Guns N’ Roses
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

SaltyDawg

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Moderately High Conflict Marriage (improving)

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 11:50:20 PM »

Hello TP,

Has anyone successfully convinced or encouraged their pwbpd to seek therapy (to make that decision for themselves)? My dbpdw has been through therapy years ago and she is adamant that she doesn’t need it and it wouldn’t help her and that I am the problem in our relationship.

When the most recent round of couple's therapy started, my wife brought me to it, thinking I was the problem, and convinced the couple's therapist I was, as I did not push back once the therapist ignored my statement on the number of suicide attempts my wife has had, at that time it was 5 times (it is now six).  That was 4 years, 4 months ago.  About a year into therapy, the therapist convinced my wife to do her own individual therapy, and progress started ever so slowly.  About 1 year 5 months ago, I started to push back during couple's therapy, where that couple's therapist realized she was wrong, and she gave me several parting gifts on how to push back on therapists, showed me my wife was bluffing on divorce threats.  Therapy is only as good as the information the therapist gets, and if the T gets a false narrative, then the therapy will be based on a false narrative which is ineffective.  It is good to go with her, so you can provide the therapist  a more accurate account of the issues.

Today she suddenly announced: “I’m p*ssed off about everything all the time and I’m p*ssed off that I’m p*ssed off about everything and that I’m coming across to our kids like I’m always p*ssed off.”

P*ssed off may not be used so much in USA but it’s somewhere on the scale of irritated to angry. It sounds almost like an admission that she recognises she has a problem? I didn’t say anything but just wondered if there’s a way I could use this to encourage her to get help with her unhappy state, I know she will still have bpd but maybe could learn to manage herself better if that’s what she wants…

Being P.O.'d is also used in the USA.  A synonym is being 'ticked off', or extremely annoyed.  It would not hurt to open a dialog by dropping a seed of "it wouldn't hurt if you were to talk with someone about why you are so PO'd at this so you aren't quite so upset with everything.  What do you think about this, luv [pet-name]?"  Use the seed-planting tool here, and see if it germinates.

Btw I believe this was in response to an incident where D4 told her that she wanted to hold my hand not hers and when asked why told my wife she liked me and not w. This was obviously hurtful but thankfully we were in a public place so w took it calmly.

'Out of the mouth of babes' - until D4 learns how to be tactful and hide their feelings which in-turn hurt your wife's feelings, children will be brutally honest when expressing their feelings - much like a borderline does.  Your D4 obviously feels more safe with you than your wife, so you are the 'safe parent'.

Circling back to your original question of leading your wife into therapy - be gentle, speak to her feelings, and encourage her to go, and if she feels comfortable do it together.  Plant the seed now, and whenever your wife  becomes agitated, revisit the topic.  If you have mutual friends, or playmate parents, with similar issues, open a dialog in front of them too being mindful not to bring up the more serious issues of bpd and your wife's past abuse.

Take care with self-care. 

SD

P.S.  btw, I will be offline for the next several days, until Thursday, but will try and pop in from time to time.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest