Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 03:45:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grey rock or acknowledge?  (Read 334 times)
NYBluebird

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« on: January 07, 2024, 02:07:22 PM »

I’ve been seeing a therapist so help me calm with the anxiety I have in relation to my son and his mentally disordered wife. They have been married 5 years with 2 kids. We always had a great relationship with my son. My therapist has suggested she has BPD, but sometimes my “googling” makes me think she is a narcissist. Right now, we are cut off. This has happened too many times to count. I get the text that sends me into a panic state. Then I typically will do whatever it takes to get in their good graces. This time, however, I am not. My husband and I are united in our thinking. I feel like I am grey rocking (ignoring and not fueling) my di. This approach seems to contradict the acknowledging her feelings- (what I usually do) to fix things. This time, my son has said some awful things. Told me to “Kids his ass” and made threats like “If I ever want to see my grandkids”’ I would have to side with him instead of my sane daughter. Any opinion on grey rocking a PWBPD?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Sancho
Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 04:54:36 PM »

Hi NYBluebird
It certainly sounds like DIL has BPD. It was so predictable that she would act in this way with the news that your daughter will be nearby.

It sounds as though - even without the news of this move - things have been awful. BPD is a bit like a rapid cycling Bipolar - mood swings that occur whenever and out of the blue and at the slightest trigger. In some ways it is deeper than jealousy - lots of people get jealous for many reasons - for someone with bpd, if they are not the focus of attention they feel deep abandonment.

It can be really complex to find a way through when there are many different relationships involved. Grey rock can be silence but it can also mean simple affirming statements. The main point is not to get into arguing your point of view, defending yourself, explaining etc. Respond to the emotion in a very brief way. You may be already doing this.

For example in response to xxx hasn't bee a good Aunty etc you could just respond 'I can see you wanted xxx to be more involved as an Aunt and feel hurt that this hasn't happened as you thought it might'.

I say these sort of things with my dd but I never get into arguing these days - so I greystone by being silent or by responding briefly to by validating the emotions.

Before I started this it was dreadful. I did explain to dd that I was going to do this. One day I said 'when you are angry etc I am not going to talk or answer because I feel that you need time and space for your emotions to settle. If I talk or answer it increases your emotions'.

I did that so she understood why I wasn't answering.

BPD is such a difficult illness for everyone involved. Glad you are here so you know that we understand completely what this means in our daily lives.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 04:16:13 PM »

I feel like I am grey rocking (ignoring and not fueling) my di. This approach seems to contradict the acknowledging her feelings- (what I usually do) to fix things. This time, my son has said some awful things. Told me to “Kids his ass” and made threats like “If I ever want to see my grandkids”’ I would have to side with him instead of my sane daughter. Any opinion on grey rocking a PWBPD?

I'm not sure it's a win-win strategy long-term if the goal is to have a relationship with your son and grand kids, although I understand the instinct to lay low and regroup, especially when you feel like you're hitting your head against the wall.

It sounds like your son is in a loyalty bind. Does he normally say things like "kiss his @ss" to you?

Sometimes being "light as a feather" is what people mean when they say grey rock. It's similar in some ways but the intention differs. With grey rock, there seems to be more of a motive to be right rather than get along. It's the old saying, do you want to be right or do you want to be married  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

I'm not particularly close to my stepdaughter and probably never will be because I've had it with BPD behaviors (in my family of origin and with an ex husband) but it's very important to me that my H does not feel like he's in the middle. Because of that, I put a lot of effort into navigating SD26 behaviors.

I'm light as a feather, very light interactions: light light light.

A couple of other things I've learned -- holidays are dysregulating for a lot of people and BPD people even more so. When SD26 is dysregulating hard I'm almost always able to locate one of two causes: H has said he won't be as available to chat and/or it's the holidays. Since I didn't cause and I can't cure it, the best I can do is not make it worse or take a time out until things settle down and she returns to baseline.

It also seems like your son bought shares in a drama triangle where he's trying to rescue his wife from his sister's behaviors, and you're being lumped in there.

That adds a bit of complexity to what's going on because now sides are forming and this is where BPD traits can really take wing.

If it's hard for you to feel empathy for DIL and you're unable to get past the way your son is taking her side, it might be a good idea to take a short break. Either that, or see if there's a path forward where you can chit chat about things without participating in the drama triangles.

I know with my ex husband (uBPD) he became estranged from his parents over a perceived slight to me that I didn't even notice, so it was more about them and I just got swept into things. They would send letters periodically and I know they meant well but often they kitchen sinked with too much information, relitigating a case that was never based on facts in the first place, who was in the wrong, what he needed to do differently, how much he hurt his mother, etc. 

"How are you? We think about you often and miss you so much" is all that n/BPDx needed to thaw the ice.

I believe pwBPD struggle to reflect on what they're doing to influence your behavior. All that's processed is the behavior that returns to them and there is often no real understanding or accountability for how they set the whole thing up.

It's a big ask to set this blind spot aside. You have to prioritize the relationship above all and not everyone finds that possible, especially when the history of abuse is deep and far-reaching.

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest