Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 02:29:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long time since I've been here... Need help/reminder/kick in the butt.  (Read 201 times)
mssalty

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« on: January 17, 2024, 09:11:50 AM »

I suspect my partner has BPD and have for awhile.  Things have been relatively calm, but recently an argument occurred where I find myself completely frustrated. 

My partner is mad at how someone else handled something and that they didn't do things exactly as they felt they should.  When this happens, my partner doesn't seem to be able to separate what they don't know from what they believe they know.   The motive is assumed, and therefore is fact.   

In trying to talk about this to the person, I tried to bring up alternate explanations, not to excuse what the other person did or didn't do, but to point out that the motivation isn't necessarily always driven by anger/hate/whatever toward them.   

That blew up into a dual front argument in which the person they are angry at is the way they are because I never address the situation with the person they're angry at. 

This led to the type of argument I haven't had in awhile, where my partner keeps changing the subject and terms of the argument to make it clear that there has to be a bad guy, and they're tired of being the bad guy, so therefore other people have to be the bad guy.   (Note: the idea that there doesn't have to be a bad guy in a disagreement is a non-starter.).

So because my partner is angry at someone else and I didn't react with the same anger, I'm now the person who has the anger directed at them. 

Ultimately, it ended like it always did when we had frequent arguments. I try to smooth things over and make concessions and apologize, and my SO makes absolute statements about how they're tired of how I ALWAYS do something and they're not putting up with it anymore. 

My feelings are irrelevant.  My words aren't important, nor is my side.  My apologies are too little, their apologies are non-existent.

And the worst part is that all of this stemmed from something completely ridiculous.   

How does one respond when your BPD person is angry at someone for things that don't happen in your presence or don't impact you in the same way that they do them?  I know I'm foolish for trying to make them understand my point of view, but it's depressing when you can't even get it heard. 
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 09:58:40 AM »

Nice to see you again! Sorry things are at a boiling point in your relationship.

As a third party its easy to look in and see that her reaction is about being invalidated (her perspective) and possibly feeling unsupported (her projected feelings).

We all do this. People with BPD traits just do it with more gusto  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

Her reaction, in turn, is invalidating to you and you feel attacked for trying to help her not feel so wronged by the third party.

Again, this transaction is not uncommon. Couples struggle with this all the time. In a relationship with BPD traits it will be with more vigor - sometime at nuclear bomb levels.

If you are trying to focus in on a where to go in the DNA strand to modify a gene and calm this down (next time), it might be helpful be on her side when she expresses her hurt (validate her frustration with 3rd party and to agree that the if 3rd party was doing out of hate, it really sucks). Give her that much and leave the conversation door cracked open to come back to have the "maybe they weren't intending to hurt you" conversation after she returns to baseline (10 minutes, the next day, whatever).

This is a good way to handle these things in any relationship.

Don't invalidate, let them feel heard, share in their feelings of being wronged - lety them express. Then come back and provide perspective and balance.

Does this sound like something that could work?

mssalty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 10:51:24 AM »

Yes.  The problem I had is that sometimes I am told I need to be the solution to the problem and do things I don't necessarily want to do, feel comfortable doing, or think is the right thing to do.  And I'm not sure how to respond.  If I just agree, it'll be held against me if I don't do it. If I don't agree, it's a sign I'm evil.  If I back out of it, I am told I am "running away". 
Pook075
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 01:24:24 PM »

Yes.  The problem I had is that sometimes I am told I need to be the solution to the problem and do things I don't necessarily want to do, feel comfortable doing, or think is the right thing to do.  And I'm not sure how to respond.  If I just agree, it'll be held against me if I don't do it. If I don't agree, it's a sign I'm evil.  If I back out of it, I am told I am "running away". 

I remember an instance where my BPD wife and BPD daughter (about 18 at the time) were at each other's throats.  We have a converted two-car garage with a pool table in it, and my wife was chasing my kid around and around the pool table, with fire in her eyes and vengeance on her lips.  If my wife could have caught her...I honestly don't know what would have happened.  It probably would have been Ali vs Frasier.

To make matters worse, my BPD kid found humor in it because she knew she wasn't going to be caught.  So she's laughing and taunting my wife, which made her boil with anger even more.  I heard the screaming so I rush down there, thoroughly amused at first until I see my wife's eyes.  Murder was not out of the question in that moment...I've never seen anyone more angry.

So I step in and block my daughter, while also trying to shield her from my wife.  They're both throwing haymakers but somehow, I'm the only one getting hit.  Luckily I was in the clinch so these were grazing blows.  My wife wouldn't back down, so I had to turn and face her while screaming at the top of my lungs for my kid to go to her room.  Now they're both furious at me but at least my kid retreated while I pushed my wife across the room to separate them.

I'm trying to go after my kid to calm her down, because at the moment that felt like the easier of the two tasks.  Now my wife is screaming at me for taking the kid's side (aka, I didn't let my wife kill her) and everyone's emotions suddenly shifted.  Now they're both crying, they're both the victim, and I always take the other person's side.

I go upstairs and calm the kid down, get her level.  Then I go to talk to my wife, and I get a mix of sadness and venom.  This was all my fault, I never punish my kid.  Meanwhile, I have no idea what even happened.

There's no moral to the story other than BPD sucks.  But the way past these instances is to show calming support and talk it out...be a solution instead of part of the problem.  Just be thankful you don't have two BPD's in the house squaring off against each other- that was not what I'd call fun, LOL.
SaltyDawg

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Moderately High Conflict Marriage (improving)

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 11:38:55 PM »

My partner is mad at how someone else handled something and that they didn't do things exactly as they felt they should.  When this happens, my partner doesn't seem to be able to separate what they don't know from what they believe they know.   The motive is assumed, and therefore is fact.   

I find that my uBPDw will change the facts to match what she is feeling at the moment.  Her facts are quite often distorted to being a false narrative.  A normal person (you or I) would adjust our feelings to match the facts; whereas, a pwBPD will change the facts to match their feelings, as that is the core of being borderline, is that they wear their feelings on their sleeves.

Excerpt
In trying to talk about this to the person, I tried to bring up alternate explanations, not to excuse what the other person did or didn't do, but to point out that the motivation isn't necessarily always driven by anger/hate/whatever toward them.   

That blew up into a dual front argument in which the person they are angry at is the way they are because I never address the situation with the person they're angry at.

Well, from their perspective, you aren't, even though you are not aware of it - they do not think like a normal person, so their perception of reality is skewed.

My wife used to say that my narrative was wrong, she taunted me to record her (I did, but I don't share the recordings as I think she knows what she has said, and she doesn't want to confront it), and she cross-examines our children, and if our children witnessed the said incident, they will give her the same observations that I had already given her.

Excerpt
This led to the type of argument I haven't had in awhile, where my partner keeps changing the subject and terms of the argument to make it clear that there has to be a bad guy, and they're tired of being the bad guy, so therefore other people have to be the bad guy.   (Note: the idea that there doesn't have to be a bad guy in a disagreement is a non-starter.).

This is 'blame shifting' pwBPD are notorious for doing this.  They cannot accept the shame for doing something, so in their mind, they have not done it, so they shift the blame to anyone other than their self - whomever is the least likely target to give them any pushback.  Once I set a boundary for my wife, that I will not accept her blame shifting, she has transferred/projected her blame on to our children, and I need to protect our children from that.  With a lot of therapy, she is actually starting to accept blame, even though some of her apologies are really out there, up until last year, she had never apologized for any of her actions.

Excerpt
So because my partner is angry at someone else and I didn't react with the same anger, I'm now the person who has the anger directed at them.

Your partner craves validation of their viewpoint from the person closest to them, and if they don't get that then they direct their anger towards you for not validating their perceptions.  I also pushback on my wife, when this happens.  I will validate her feelings; however, I will no longer validate her version of distorted facts that she has twisted to match her present feelings.  This is a comparatively new boundary I have mandated along the general theme of "all abuse must stop".

Excerpt
Ultimately, it ended like it always did when we had frequent arguments. I try to smooth things over and make concessions and apologize, and my SO makes absolute statements about how they're tired of how I ALWAYS do something and they're not putting up with it anymore. 

My feelings are irrelevant.  My words aren't important, nor is my side.  My apologies are too little, their apologies are non-existent.

For me 'making concessions' and 'apologize' for things I really shouldn't apologize for, as I didn't do them - this is called 'appeasing'.  While appeasing is a short term solution to stop an argument, it is not a long term one, as you validated the invalid  (example:  apologizing for something you did not do, but they did, and you accepted the 'blame shift' in order to apologize for it - crazy making behavior).

I have apologized from time to time, when I do something wrong, I own my sh!t.  Up until recently my wife refused to apologize, and now she does occasionally; however, her explanations are indeed 'out there', definitely not how a normal person processes these things.

Excerpt
And the worst part is that all of this stemmed from something completely ridiculous.

Same here.  If I find an argument starts to go in circles, or becomes irrational, I pause the argument, and ask her to resume it 'tomorrow morning', as that is when my wife has an emotional 'reset' after a 'sleep cycle' - and then she has forgotten about it, as it was really insignificant.  However, about 5% are significant, and we will talk about it the following morning, 95% are just 'out there' / 'ridiculous'. 

Excerpt
How does one respond when your BPD person is angry at someone for things that don't happen in your presence or don't impact you in the same way that they do them?  I know I'm foolish for trying to make them understand my point of view, but it's depressing when you can't even get it heard.

I too find foolish for trying to make them understand my point of view, as they only can grasp a very small chunk of it, and the rest is 'out there' and doesn't make sense. 

I generally respond with logic, and if logic is not accepted (circular arguments / irrational thought processes), I 'pause' the argument, until a time that my wife will likely re-regulate, and then most of the time it becomes a 'non-issue'.  I know this is how my pwBPD thinks, so I have adapted my responses to minimize the impact of her thought processes, and generally ignore her issue, unless it is repeated 3 or more times, and then I will address it.

I was told the same things, even from our couple's therapist.  However, I have since established 'boundaries' that need to be maintained, where I will not validate the invalid.  I will validate her feelings only, and not validate her distorted facts (do not validate the invalid).  Also if the argument goes in a circle, or becomes irrational, I 'pause' the argument by saying a white lie of "It seems like we are going around in circles on this issue, I would like to take a pause on it, and resume this discussion tomorrow morning, so I don't become too upset over this".  The "I" should be a "you"; however, that will upset my wife, so I use "I" statements, so she does not perceive that she is the issue on this, and I am somewhat truthful on this as I do not want to become upset, but in reality I am defusing an upcoming rage from her.  Would something like this work for you. MsSalty?

In any event, be kind to yourself with Self-Care whatever that might look like for you.

Take care.

Keep coming back, and ask more questions...

SaltyDawg

P.S.  I am interested in how you picked your alias MsSalty - mainly out of curiosity...

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest