Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 05:40:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for insight and support  (Read 436 times)
Android_1234

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« on: January 30, 2024, 07:28:15 AM »

Hi all - I am very early into my journey of recovery and I'm not even totally sure this is the correct avenue for me but BPD has been the only thing that comes close to explaining what happened with failed marriage of 10 years.

A little backstory... I met my ex over 13 years ago during college and we started dating shortly after. We got married and for the passed decade I thought we would be together forever.

Last week she asked me to bring her home food from work (after I had randomly texted her I love her that afternoon and she said it back). We ate the food on our couch like normal and then she dead faced looked at me and said she was leaving. Within 15 minutes she was gone to a friend's house and sent me a document outlining how she wanted to separate things in the divorce.

I was completely blindsided and confused. I know this will continue to be a slow healing process and I'm trying to find avenues to express my feelings and get insight on what happened.

Our marriage was not perfect and we had our share of hurts and arguments over the years. There wasn't anything I didn't think we had either resolved or were continuing to work on. Things felt good to me and if you had asked me if we would be together forever the day before it happened I would have said 1000% yes and utterly believed she felt the same way.

I'm not saying that she has BPD as I'm still too new into even knowing about this but she has exhibited many of 9 patterns throughout our marriage and the "discarding" aspect all fits. She has been very cold to me since and only communicates about admin style tasks like what to do with our pets that she just left me to deal with that I thought we both loved as children since we didn't have any of our own.

She has given me minimal reasons for the break just saying that she has been suppressing things for years and has never been happy, sees me as a friend, etc. Which all seem like devaluing the more I read about BPD.

She is not the same when I text her, she will not console nor have much empathy towards me and mostly turns it back to her. I've done my best to go no contact but there are still a lot of things we have to discuss to work through the divorce process and I see glimpses of her original self which hurts a lot.

I feel like I'm ranting and I probably am but it does help to write it out. I guess I'm looking for any insight or advice from people that have gone through similar scenarios can offer. Thank you.
Pook075
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 12:39:51 PM »

I feel like I'm ranting and I probably am but it does help to write it out. I guess I'm looking for any insight or advice from people that have gone through similar scenarios can offer. Thank you.

Hi Android and welcome.  You are absolutely in the right place!  Don't worry about a formal diagnosis since that's simply a label.  If you see those tendencies there throughout your relationship, combined with how she left (my wife of 24 years left the same way), that's enough for us to work with.

First off, what happened!?!  You're probably thinking it's something you did this past week or this past month, but this is something that's been building for awhile now.  And it probably started with very tiny things, stuff that you've forgiven and forgotten about, but someone with mental illness can hold onto those instances and make a mountain out of a mole hill.  It's a sickness and it can build out of control.

For instance, a little of my story.  Married 24 years, pretty good relationship overall but we did grow apart maybe the past five years...my wife just became more distant and struggled with depression.  When I'd ask her what's wrong, she'd say, "I don't know" and it would usually last an afternoon or maybe a couple of days, but fast forward five years and these cycles would stretch on for a week or more.  We did have a lot going on, my dad dying from cancer at home as we cared for him, a BPD daughter always causing chaos, the depression seemed almost expected given the circumstances.  I wasn't myself either and the stress levels of caring for my dad and working multiple jobs was more than I could handle.

The final week we were together, I got a call that my brother was dying of cancer...it was the end and nobody knew.  My wife and I were going to the beach that week with a handicapped young adult's family she cares for, and when I asked her to alter the plans she refused.  My alternative was to visit my brother and then arrive to the beach one day later, but it wasn't acceptable.  That hurt but whatever...I'm a trooper and I can do this without support, just like I did with my dad.

That final week, my wife didn't talk to me at all...completely avoided me.  She was shutting down completely and I couldn't understand why- my brother was dying and I had to say goodbye!  But she avoided me the entire week.  My flight was 7AM on a Saturday so I got up super early, and as I was walking out of the room I realized that my wife was silently sitting up in the bed just staring off into space.  It was honestly spooky but after ignoring me all week long, I didn't say anything- I just left.

I flew home on Monday afternoon and by that night, I had COVID.  So I never went to the beach and I ended up very sick, it turned into bronchitis and I actually thought I was going to die that Wednesday night as I went to sleep.  I've never been that sick before in my life.  My wife refused to come home early though, she wouldn't even consider it...and I should have saw the writing on the wall.

Once she returned home the following Sunday, she told my daughter that she was leaving me. My relationship was like your relationship....some bumpy roads at times but it was mostly good, wasn't it?  I thought the problems were outside the marriage and beyond our control, and I never could have realized what my wife was thinking all those years depressed in the bed.  Even with me trying to help her and comfort her, she saw me as a man who could care less about her or her wellbeing.  A few days later, we had a simple conversation and she left for good.

Maybe a week later, my wife returned to try to "reconcile", but really she came back to tell me what a piece of trash I was.  She brought up stuff from the whole 24 years of marriage, single instances where I was unthoughtful or selfish, and blasted me for over an hour straight.  In her mind, I was a vile wicked man who never did anything for her...and I was speechless.  I didn't even try to fight back because my mind couldn't comprehend what was happening.  It absolutely destroyed me to the core.

It's been 18 months and I've let go of that pain, but I told my story in detail since it feels like it relates a lot to your experience as well.  The answer you're looking for here is that your wife has carried emotional baggage and pain for awhile now and it finally reached a boiling point.  Her fear of abandonment simply took over and convinced her to flee. 

That's what happened in my story- choosing a dying brother over a beach trip, combined with zero communication the week before, was the final straw.  And at face value, that makes zero sense- surely my wife was a pure monster, right?  Not at all, she simply carried so many negative emotions for so long and was so fearful that the marriage was falling apart, that she basically abandoned me in a self-fulfilling prophecy.  It's very sad but she did what she thought was best for her...even though most of our problems were caused by her inability to talk about her problems.

I shared that last part so you can see- you did anything "wrong" and this isn't about you...it's about mental illness and disordered thinking.  The real "problem" was things you couldn't see and couldn't support her on because she had no idea how to express it.

So what do you do now?  First off, this is no different from any other form of severe trauma, and step one is taking care of yourself both mentally and physically.  You have to get out of the house, get off the computer, and do whatever it is that brings you happiness in life- a hobby, a passion, etc.  Physical exercise also helps and you must eat healthy-ish...don't rely on Hot Pockets and frozen pizzas.  Also consider talking to a counselor because you are not okay and you do need to talk this out.

I don't want to go any longer here, so please feel free to ask questions and know that you will have support.  Also check out the sticky tabs at the top of the page for ways to improve your communication skills with your wife when you do talk.  A lot of it is counter-intuitive and makes no sense at first, but it absolutely works wonders once you become a little more proficient.

Again, I'm so sorry you're going through this and I hope my story helped a little.  It's therapeutic to write that stuff out and release it, so again...ask questions, rant, whatever you have to do.
Android_1234

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 02:37:52 PM »

Thank you so much for telling your story. It is absolutely heartbreaking and you are right it does have similar themes to what happened with me.

I think it would be a little easier if she didn't act completely normal the night before, showing me funny pictures in bed and all that. It is the complete change of character that my mind keeps trying to rationalize.

We had a large fight about a month ago about some continuous communication issues, which I know I lacked at points. I took a seriously hard look at myself and brought her a 6 month plan that included weekly check ins to make sure we were both happy and had a time to express any issues. This helped with having a time to open up and work on being better at telling her things that bothered me. She was supportive of the idea but mostly said she was fine each week.

The day she dropped the bomb, she mentioned that it was our weekly check in and then proceeded with what I described in my original post. I'm slowly realizing how awful that was with it being my plan and a way to try and continue and improve things and she threw it in my face with saying she was leaving. She could have simply texted while I was at work or something and honestly it might have been easier.

She has mentioned a snap with that argument I guess to me that meant more that it was a reality check for our relationship and time to get serious about improving. I'm realizing now that may have been a legitimate mental snap and there was no coming back from it. We had discussed counseling before but I brushed it off (mistake on my part) but I did offer that as our next step if things still weren't good after the 6 months.

I know it will do me no good to think of the what ifs, I just wish I had known she was so close to the edge. I would have done anything to save our marriage.

Pook075
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 05:18:55 PM »

I know it will do me no good to think of the what ifs, I just wish I had known she was so close to the edge. I would have done anything to save our marriage.

Those "what if's" are about the single most destructive thing you can do to yourself, so don't allow yourself to go there.  At first you will anyway and when you catch yourself, remind your brain that it's not helpful or welcome.  You literally have to fight yourself to avoid that pitfall.  We've all been there and it stinks.

For now, just give this some time, let her sort through her feelings, and focus on your own mental health and wellbeing.  More often than not, you'll have additional opportunities to potentially make amends.  Just remember to lead with sympathy and compassion- she's sick and couldn't express it.  The sticky tabs along the top of the page are an awesome resource for getting started.
Android_1234

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 06:15:59 PM »

Thank you for the kind words and support. I really appreciate it. You are right about the sympathy and compassion and I have been trying very hard to do that. I will continue reading through the material you mentioned and hopefully be able gain some peace.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2024, 02:42:09 PM »

Hi Android_1234,

How have things been going the last couple of weeks?
Android_1234

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 01:56:07 PM »

Hello! It has been a rough couple of weeks. She has continued to be extremely cold and distant for the majority of the time. I've seen a few glimpses of the woman I loved which has been hard to process but it always turns back to being nasty. She has only communicated about logistical things for the divorce and has gotten extremely hostile whenever something doesn't go exactly her way.

I've been focusing on myself and really trying to move forward each day. I have had good days and horrible ones but the pain seems to last a little less time most days.

Thanks for the check up!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest