Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 09:05:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeling Lost and Like I don't know what is next  (Read 644 times)
legacy89

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married

« on: March 06, 2024, 07:43:27 AM »

Hello,
I am in a relationship with someone who has BPD, It is extremely difficult. We have been together for almost 10 years. Married for over 5 years and have a 3 year old amazing daughter. She was only diagnosed about 8 months or so ago.

She has been working on trying to get better and work on her problems related to BPD. However it seems more often, even with being diagnosed with BPD she always blames me. I am always the one who needs to take accountability for my actions and it seems like her life would be better without me. This is something she doesn't say though. She always say she wants to work it out and fix it with me but her actions show the opposite. Constant attacks, Days in a row of me doing what I can to help her, going out of my way to make her happy and in the end she is still miserable. I have no idea what to do or how to move forward. We are on the edge of a separation and quite possibly a divorce. I don't want to get divorced but I am at the point of feeling like I resent her so much that I now have a very small fuse and can't help but constantly feel attacked. It's everything I seem to do bothers her. I am not allowed to choose what we watch on TV. I can't choose a dinner date. I can't choose a color for paint for the walls in our house or where a couch should be placed. She needs to control everything but tells me that isn't true at all. Logic is completely gone and I feel as if i am fighting with a toddler all the time. I am so lost and became so depressed. She was a heavy drinker and she quit drinking just a couple months ago when a fight at 1:30AM ended in me having to call the cops cause she got so out of hand. I know i am not perfect either but i feel at the end of a very long rope and don't know what i should do. Do i leave to make myself happy? What about my Daughter... she's the happiest kid in the world and she's amazing in every way. Why does she have to suffer from this? Is there another way? Would she be better off without us both in her life? I can't see a future like that and it makes it very difficult to leave what seems to be a toxic relationship. Any thoughts recommendation or feelings you can share would be appreciated. Btw all of your writing have helped me immensely. So thank you for taking the time to write your own stories.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

legacy89

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 09:30:28 AM »

When i wrote would she be better without us in her life what i meant is would my daughter be better off without the two of us together in her life. Not out of her life**
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 10:23:38 AM »

Hi legacy89 and Welcome

You're not alone in joining and posting when your relationship is on the rocks. BPD relationships are so difficult and the challenges can be so far beyond "the norm". This is a group that gets it, so we're glad you found us.

A few questions to get a better sense of your situation:

She was only diagnosed about 8 months or so ago.

She has been working on trying to get better and work on her problems related to BPD.

How did your W receive the diagnosis (i.e., via hospitalization, therapy appointment, GP/PCP referral, etc)? And how did she respond to it: acceptance, denial, relief...?

What does "working on trying to get better" look like? Is your W in treatment/therapy?

However it seems more often, even with being diagnosed with BPD she always blames me. I am always the one who needs to take accountability for my actions and it seems like her life would be better without me. This is something she doesn't say though. She always say she wants to work it out and fix it with me but her actions show the opposite. Constant attacks, Days in a row of me doing what I can to help her, going out of my way to make her happy and in the end she is still miserable. I have no idea what to do or how to move forward.

Blame is a feature of many BPD relationships. In a weird way, it can help to accept (not approve of) the reality that if you choose to stay in a relationship with a pwBPD, there will be blame. You can't do anything to control her blaming words or actions. However, you have a choice about how you navigate a relationship with that much blame -- you can choose to protect yourself from hearing it via exiting the conversation, for example.

Dissonance between words and actions is also a feature of many BPD relationships. My theory is that as human beings, we're "wired" to believe what others tell us, as a starting position. BPD may impact her perceptions, emotions, and motivations, so that "saying words" is more about navigating her overwhelming feelings in the moment, vs a rational commitment to a consistent position. Again, accepting the reality that this is how she is right now (not approving it, or liking it, etc) can help you shift your mindset away from "why is she so inconsistent again" and towards "given that this is how my W operates, how can I navigate our relationship more effectively?"

A huge mindset shift that can help in a BPD relationship is (once again!) accepting that you have no control over impacting her feelings.

Her feelings, which come from inside of herself, are hers to manage. You could "do everything perfectly" and she could still feel miserable. That's not because there's some next level up of "doing it even more perfectly" where she'd finally be happy -- it's because BPD impacts her emotional regulation.

While yes, we can make things worse (sometimes inadvertently), we can't fix how a pwBPD feels. Letting go of that belief can be a turning point, actually, towards a healthier relationship.

We are on the edge of a separation and quite possibly a divorce. I don't want to get divorced but I am at the point of feeling like I resent her so much that I now have a very small fuse and can't help but constantly feel attacked.

legacy89, do you have a counselor or therapist right now, to help you navigate your situation? It can be so important when there's a pwBPD in our lives. I currently have an individual T and my H and I (he doesn't have BPD, but his kids' mom has many traits) have had a marriage counselor. It takes a lot of support for us to stay in these interactions and relationships. A good T can help you find more effective ways to manage your resentment, short fuse, and feelings of being attacked.

Going back to this conflict template:

It's everything I seem to do bothers her. I am not allowed to choose what we watch on TV. I can't choose a dinner date. I can't choose a color for paint for the walls in our house or where a couch should be placed. She needs to control everything but tells me that isn't true at all. Logic is completely gone and I feel as if i am fighting with a toddler all the time.

Can you walk us through a typical example of what that sounds like -- i.e., write it out like a movie script:

Her: I hate the color you picked for the walls.

You: But it's the one you agreed with yesterday.

Her: You never listen to me, you never understand, why can't you just blah blah blah

One of the benefits of this group is that we can "crowdsource" different options for you, in those conflicts, to change how you interact, especially by learning and practicing some of the non-intuitive skills for being in a relationship with a pwBPD. Check out those links; I'd be curious what resonates with you?
DigitalSanity

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: broken up

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 10:30:55 AM »

Has she always been like that or did her behavior changed recently?

I would suggest you also seek out therapy (if you don't already) and work on yourself. If she has been diagnosed only 8 months ago, there's still a lot of room for improvement. It takes time for her to get better and learn how to control her emotions, but in the meantime, you have to do a lot of self care.

Regardless of the circumstances, it's important for your daughter that she has at least one stable parent (and although this might be unfair to you, it is a fact, at least for the moment).

I do feel your pain, though, and have been through a lot of the same issues. Stay strong!
legacy89

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2024, 10:11:49 AM »

Excerpt
How did your W receive the diagnosis (i.e., via hospitalization, therapy appointment, GP/PCP referral, etc)? And how did she respond to it: acceptance, denial, relief...?

What does "working on trying to get better" look like? Is your W in treatment/therapy?

She Has Been working with a therapist, She Accepts it, however seems to act like now that she knows about it she knows what is going on. She won't really say that but that's how she's acted. Working on it is learning how to regulate her emotions.

Excerpt
legacy89, do you have a counselor or therapist right now, to help you navigate your situation? It can be so important when there's a pwBPD in our lives. I currently have an individual T and my H and I (he doesn't have BPD, but his kids' mom has many traits) have had a marriage counselor. It takes a lot of support for us to stay in these interactions and relationships. A good T can help you find more effective ways to manage your resentment, short fuse, and feelings of being attacked.

Yes, I currently have a T and I am working with him on my short fuse. I normally am very patient and I have a really long fuse. I am working with my T who funny enough was our Couples counselor. So he has seen first hand how she acts. Like when i start talking she would roll her eyes foot would start to twitch and she wouldn't let me finish my sentences ever. She would always cut me off and snap at me with defensiveness.

Excerpt
Can you walk us through a typical example of what that sounds like -- i.e., write it out like a movie script:

Her: I hate the color you picked for the walls.

You: But it's the one you agreed with yesterday.

Her: You never listen to me, you never understand, why can't you just blah blah blah

One of the benefits of this group is that we can "crowdsource" different options for you, in those conflicts, to change how you interact, especially by learning and practicing some of the non-intuitive skills for being in a relationship with a pwBPD. Check out those links; I'd be curious what resonates with you?

One Wild interaction i had with her was when my daughter was sick, Had a cold. So I woke up on my day off and went to go buy my daughter flowers to make her feel better. When I got home I brought her the flowers, She smiled and was happy. It did in fact make her feel better even if it was temporary. My wife's response was this...

Her: You bought her flowers but you could have bought me flowers too.

Me: She doesn't feel good so i just wanted to make her feel better, Sorry I didn't think about that. She has a cold.

Her: You never do nice things for me, You didn't even buy me flowers on my birthday.

Me: I absolutely DID buy you flowers on your birth day and even brought them into your work as a surprise. So what are you talking about?

That was where the conversation ended and she walked away from me. It's always a pity party for her.

Another it.... we are redoing our bathroom and we need to choose new tile, bathtub, vanity, everything. I choose several tile options. here is how it went down.

Me: I like these tiles they look great marble, Darker tiles with white streaks through them or lighter with dark streaks going through them.

Her: I hate marble, You only like that cause you're italian and that is an italian thing.

Me: No, I just really like how it looks for the bathroom we are trying to go for but its no big deal lets pick something we both like.

Her: I like this tile here.... It is nothing like what you picked....
(The tile she picked was in fact marble light color with light brown streaks in it)

Me: That looks similar to what i wanted I just don't know if it would match the white and black colors we are using in the bathroom as this tile is brown. I think we should match it with the colors more. But lets not worry Because we dont have to pick the tile just yet. We can keep looking and figure something out.  

Two days later....

Her: I am glad we made a choice on that tile in home depot I think it would be perfect for this bathroom.

Me: I never Agreed on a tile, I would like it if we could work together to find something we both like. Normally you always choose everything and i think it is fair that we both agree on something.

Her: But you did agree and that is what we are going with.

Me: I would really like it if all the decisions on the house are made as a team and I think we need to work on that together.

Her: I dont know what you're talking about you always do what you want anyways.

Some more banter and She said she would try to work on it more with me. She hasn't as of yet. But she said she would.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 12:45:41 PM by kells76, Reason: helped get quotation formatting set up » Logged
legacy89

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 10:12:44 AM »

Well I didn't you the quote thing correctly but now i know for next time. LOL
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 01:05:01 PM »

Well I didn't you the quote thing correctly but now i know for next time. LOL

No worries about the quotations -- took me a while to get it, too. I popped in there and adjusted them for you  Being cool (click to insert in post)

She Has Been working with a therapist, She Accepts it, however seems to act like now that she knows about it she knows what is going on. She won't really say that but that's how she's acted. Working on it is learning how to regulate her emotions.

OK, that sounds like there is some hope. If we set all the blaming to the side for now, have you noticed any changes in her ability to regulate her emotions?

For me, I'd be less tied up in how she describes how she's doing ("I'm their #1 patient, I know all the skills, they are so impressed with me") and more noticing if she keeps going. She may describe her sessions through a "BPD lens" (minimizing shame) so who knows what really got said or done in there -- but if she is committed to going, that seems more important.

Yes, I currently have a T and I am working with him on my short fuse. I normally am very patient and I have a really long fuse. I am working with my T who funny enough was our Couples counselor. So he has seen first hand how she acts. Like when i start talking she would roll her eyes foot would start to twitch and she wouldn't let me finish my sentences ever. She would always cut me off and snap at me with defensiveness.

Good to hear you have a T -- so important when BPD is in the mix.

What does your T have you working on right now?

One Wild interaction i had with her was when my daughter was sick, Had a cold. So I woke up on my day off and went to go buy my daughter flowers to make her feel better. When I got home I brought her the flowers, She smiled and was happy. It did in fact make her feel better even if it was temporary. My wife's response was this...

Me: She doesn't feel good so i just wanted to make her feel better, Sorry I didn't think about that. She has a cold.

Her: You never do nice things for me, You didn't even buy me flowers on my birthday.

Me: I absolutely DID buy you flowers on your birth day and even brought them into your work as a surprise. So what are you talking about?

That was where the conversation ended and she walked away from me. It's always a pity party for her.

Here's where the rubber meets the road. Just like if you were married to someone with a wheelchair, your spouse would have physical limitations, you're married to someone with BPD traits and behaviors, which means she has real and significant emotional limitations. It would be nice if she didn't -- just like it would be nice if a spouse who used a wheelchair could walk -- but we're in the relationships we choose to be in, not the relationships that "should" be.

That means that the only changes you have control over are changes you make. Fortunately, you are able to make changes that impact the relational dynamic, that don't require your W to like them, agree, or cooperate.

Thank you for typing out the back-and-forth dialog, that is super helpful. What stood out to me was:

Excerpt

Have you had a chance to check out our workshop on Don't "JADE" (justify, argue, defend, explain) yet?

One of the key concepts there is that we can inadvertently fan the flames of conflict when we defend ourselves, explain why the partner is "wrong", justify our actions, etc.

When your W said "you could have bought me flowers, too", even though her words "seemed" to be pointing out something to be clarified, the emotions behind her words were really important.

My gut feeling is that she felt left out, and that hurts.

That doesn't mean "in the future, legacy89 has to only say and do things that always include Mrs. legacy89" -- not at all.

What it does mean is that pwBPD often express feelings with what they say, and when they don't experience their feelings being noticed, they can escalate (more conflict, more argument, louder) in a bid to get those feelings noticed.

The way emotional validation works is that it isn't agreeing that she's right, doing something to make her feel better, explaining why she didn't have all the facts, or trying to smooth things over. It's just noticing how she feels, thinking of how that would feel if you felt that way, and only engaging with the feelings:

Excerpt

Me: That would really suck to feel left out of getting something nice like flowers.

Emotional validation isn't a "lever" or "magic wand", but it is a way to connect to her emotions so she feels heard, without going down the road of escalating a conflict.

Another it.... we are redoing our bathroom and we need to choose new tile, bathtub, vanity, everything. I choose several tile options. here is how it went down.

Me: I like these tiles they look great marble, Darker tiles with white streaks through them or lighter with dark streaks going through them.

Her: I hate marble, You only like that cause you're italian and that is an italian thing.

Me: No, I just really like how it looks for the bathroom we are trying to go for but its no big deal lets pick something we both like.

Her: I like this tile here.... It is nothing like what you picked....
(The tile she picked was in fact marble light color with light brown streaks in it)

Me: That looks similar to what i wanted I just don't know if it would match the white and black colors we are using in the bathroom as this tile is brown. I think we should match it with the colors more. But lets not worry Because we dont have to pick the tile just yet. We can keep looking and figure something out.  

Two days later....

Her: I am glad we made a choice on that tile in home depot I think it would be perfect for this bathroom.

Me: I never Agreed on a tile, I would like it if we could work together to find something we both like. Normally you always choose everything and i think it is fair that we both agree on something.

Her: But you did agree and that is what we are going with.

Me: I would really like it if all the decisions on the house are made as a team and I think we need to work on that together.

Her: I dont know what you're talking about you always do what you want anyways.

Some more banter and She said she would try to work on it more with me. She hasn't as of yet. But she said she would.

Couple of options on the table here.

Excerpt

Depending on the "vibe" in the room, you may be able to use some genuine curiosity to steer away from "conflict" and towards "understanding":

Excerpt

So you don't like marble? What are some other ones you saw that you liked? (note, tone is really important here -- sarcasm is a non-starter but genuine curiosity makes a difference)

That puts the ball back in her court. Both of you are allowed to express what you like and don't like, but stewing in it doesn't get you anywhere. Sure, she can hate marble, she's allowed to -- but what suggestions does she have to move forward?

Another option is true boundaries (rules for yourself, not for other people).

You may decide for yourself ahead of time that you don't like negative statements about your ethnicity. That is fair. You aren't required to continue in conversations where people say things you experience as hurtful. So, you aren't required to emotionally validate, or be genuinely curious -- you are allowed to exit:

Excerpt

Me: I don't really like being talked to that way. I'm going [to the grocery store, on a run, to take a bath, to the library], I'll be back in a couple of hours.

That isn't to punish her, teach her a lesson, or make her do anything. It's just to protect you from hearing hurtful words, which are damaging to you and the relationship.

Any thoughts on what sounds try-able for changing the conflict dynamic?

We have a great section on relationship skills for BPD if you haven't seen it yet. I tend to recommend the workshops on Boundaries, Validation/Invalidation, and not JADEing, but there's so much good stuff there.

Keep us posted;

kells76
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 01:06:00 PM by kells76 » Logged
legacy89

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 07:56:28 AM »

Kells76,

I have spoken with her about when the conflict becomes overwhelming that we stop talking about it and discuss it at another time. I was clear about not trying to stonewall (She likes to blame me for that a lot, which at one point i truly was stonewalling before the diagnosis). So i explained that I wasn't stonewalling and instead I am just trying to let the conversation get back to talking instead of being heated and voices being raised. She understood and so far it is working very well. We even had a debate on politics and it got heated and then brought back down all in the same conversation which is amazing. She has been putting in more effort and it has been showing recently. The past few weeks it seems like there has been a break through. We finally went on a date day together that i planned. Normally we get into a huge fight and date nights end in disaster. This time we had an entire DATE DAY where my mom watched our daughter and we had the most amazing day. She was laughing at my jokes again like old times, I enjoyed her company again. I am truly grateful for how it went. It was so good she actually texted me the next day thanking me for doing a date day for us. I know this isn't the end of the fights or the fix at all. I know times will go up and down. But for anyone reading this, know that if they work at it. Then it truly CAN get better. I just wanted to share my good experience this weekend.

-Legacy89
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest