Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 03:27:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I stay or should I go?  (Read 231 times)
ChiRunner
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: March 12, 2024, 11:21:44 AM »

After 14 years together, 12 of them married, and three kids later, I have finally awoken to the full realization that my partner has BPD traits and I have suffered incredible personal damage from emotional abuse. The abuse stops now.

After her latest barrage of cruelty and anger, I and  have told my partner that I want emotional space to work with my therapist (8years in therapy) to work on stating my position and moving toward next steps. I have for years known that I would have left this relationship a long time ago were it not for the kids. But I now also understand that I was not ready to leave the relationship because the emotional abuse has destroyed my sense of self and my self esteem.  However, the full picture of our dysfunctional relationship is becoming much clearer to me through the lens of BPD and understanding of emotional abuse and its effects on my ability to think for myself and honor my needs as a sovereign person. 

During this break from my wife, I have remained calm, assertive and civil and not let her know that I have come to these conclusions about her mental health. Ironically, my wife who has been in therapy for 20+ years just old meant she plans to stop therapy because she doesn’t feel it can ball her anymore. It has long been suspicion that she is gaming her therapist into supporting her POV. And I now suspect that perhaps her therapist has started to address things that might bring her BPD traits into the light, so my partner decides she needs to stop seeking help. My therapist and several resources advise me not to diagnose my partner, but instead focus on defining by personal boundaries, doing a lot of journaling and beginning the work of healing so that’s what I’ve been up to. After just over a week of establishing space from my partner, I already feel some of my vitality and confidence returning. I cannot go back to the way it was before.

It also seems incredibly clear to me now that there is no chance of my partner changing and certainly no chance of making this marriage into one that I feel happy in. Yet I am having second thoughts about ending it outright.  I sense that my hesitation is based on a flimsy wish for my partner to one of those who are able to combat the disorder and make it out. That it would be worth it to save my kids from the torment of watching their parents dissolve a marriage and instead try to heal a broken home.

Not sure what to do, how to proceed. But I feel like I have to decide soon.

Thanks for hearing me out. I appreciate that this forum exists and that there might be someone who can understand what I’m going through.

Be well.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 01:14:34 PM »

Hi ChiRunner and Welcome

You're not alone in coming to the realization that BPD could be involved, long into your marriage. "Awakening to a full realization" makes sense, yet the question remains for you -- you can't "fall back asleep" but what do you do?

A lot will depend on the variables that are unique to your situation. While there are general skills for improving a relationship when BPD is involved (and, the great thing is that even if it isn't BPD, learning and using these tools and skills won't make things worse!), each pwBPD (person with BPD) is unique, and family structures are unique as well. Your W may have no chance of changing, or she may -- BPD is not a "death sentence" though it is challenging for couples to cope with, especially if untreated. Learning more about your situation will help us support you better.

How old are your kids? How have they been doing with home life?

Have you and your W ever done couples/marriage counseling?

Do your individual therapists have releases to talk with each other?

Has there been any physical violence?

Right now we're on the "Bettering a Relationship" board, where the focus is on what's under our control to change in the relationship. While the dysfunctional dynamic may not have an exactly equal 50/50 split (i.e. we're not saying "you both are equally at fault"), by definition both parties contribute -- somehow -- to the current relational dynamic. Fortunately, it is totally possible to change your contribution to the dynamic, without needing your W to agree, understand your point, feel happy about it, or cooperate.

No matter what you decide, the tools and skills we work on here on Bettering are valuable -- after all, even if a marriage ends, the two of you remain coparents, and relating more skillfully and with less conflict will benefit your children. Do know that the focus on Bettering is on learning and using the tools and skills in your marriage, not on making suggestions about leaving (just FYI). You are welcome to also post on the Conflicted/Divorce board if you feel stuck, aren't sure you want to try the tools/skills, and/or need legal advice.

Couple of thoughts about your situation specifically:

After her latest barrage of cruelty and anger, I and  have told my partner that I want emotional space to work with my therapist (8years in therapy) to work on stating my position and moving toward next steps. I have for years known that I would have left this relationship a long time ago were it not for the kids. But I now also understand that I was not ready to leave the relationship because the emotional abuse has destroyed my sense of self and my self esteem.  However, the full picture of our dysfunctional relationship is becoming much clearer to me through the lens of BPD and understanding of emotional abuse and its effects on my ability to think for myself and honor my needs as a sovereign person. 

What did that look like to tell your partner you wanted emotional space to work with your therapist? What was your goal? How did your W respond?

One of the key mindset shifts that can improve a relationship when BPD is involved is that we don't have to "ask permission" to take care of our own needs, and we don't need to announce to our partner that we want them to do something that's actually under our control.

pwBPD seem to be impaired in their ability to manage their emotions. Their emotions can be harmfully intense and can vary wildly, to such a degree that they are totally wrapped up in their own emotional turmoil. Wanting a BPD partner's agreement to "give emotional space" when they can't even regulate their own emotions, may be a dead end -- could be more fruitful to focus on our own boundaries (not ultimatums!) and values.

I may be missing the "feel" or "vibe" of that interaction, so fill me in and let me know if I'm off base.

During this break from my wife, I have remained calm, assertive and civil and not let her know that I have come to these conclusions about her mental health. Ironically, my wife who has been in therapy for 20+ years just old meant she plans to stop therapy because she doesn’t feel it can ball her anymore. It has long been suspicion that she is gaming her therapist into supporting her POV. And I now suspect that perhaps her therapist has started to address things that might bring her BPD traits into the light, so my partner decides she needs to stop seeking help. My therapist and several resources advise me not to diagnose my partner, but instead focus on defining by personal boundaries, doing a lot of journaling and beginning the work of healing so that’s what I’ve been up to. After just over a week of establishing space from my partner, I already feel some of my vitality and confidence returning. I cannot go back to the way it was before. 

In terms of what's going on in someone else's therapy... I mean, maybe she is "snowing" her T, maybe she isn't, because after all, I'm guessing that anything you hear about how her sessions go is from her directly? My suggestion would be that unless you hear it directly from the therapist, take it with a huge grain of salt. BPD can impact perceptions, memories, and feelings, so even if she were working on "the right stuff" in therapy, it may get filtered back to you as "my therapist agrees with me that you're the source of all the problems, and I'm doing great and can graduate from therapy". Don't spend valuable mental time on that. She's an adult, and it's up to her how she manages her mental health care. You may wish or want for her to stay in evidence-based therapy, but it isn't something you can make her do. You can decide for yourself if you have a boundary (a rule for yourself, not a rule for anyone else) that you are able to stay in relationships with people who stay in therapy, but that isn't making her do anything, it's being clear with yourself what you are OK with.

I'll also comment that it's OK to give yourself some time to adjust. There are a lot of changes in the dynamic happening, and you mention that a week has gone by. You two have been married for 14 years... you didn't get here overnight, so consider letting things play out a bit more before feeling like "this is how it's going to be". Change is hard -- I'm in therapy right now and even though intellectually I understand that I can make hurtful relational choices, emotionally it remains difficult to change them.

It also seems incredibly clear to me now that there is no chance of my partner changing and certainly no chance of making this marriage into one that I feel happy in. Yet I am having second thoughts about ending it outright.  I sense that my hesitation is based on a flimsy wish for my partner to one of those who are able to combat the disorder and make it out. That it would be worth it to save my kids from the torment of watching their parents dissolve a marriage and instead try to heal a broken home.

You changing your contribution to the dynamic, will change the relational dynamic. There are no guarantees that your W will change -- but she may, in response to your changes (like if one dance partner stops doing the "expected" steps and does new steps). Note that that isn't the same as "if you just pull this level then it's guaranteed she'll do XYZ". You can take steps to make your life more livable for you -- she may join you, she may not, but either way, your life becomes more livable.

It won't be easy to work on improving the relationship. Again, by definition, BPD impairs a person's ability to regulate emotions and to have "generally normal" intimacy. That means she may not "do her fair share" of "the work", just like a person in a wheelchair won't do "their fair share" of "climbing the ladder". Knowing ahead of time that the lion's share of personal work will fall to you, may help you avoid the dead end of resentment and find more effective ways forward.

What has your therapist thought about your hopes for your kids?

Where do you think that feeling is coming from? As you step back and examine that feeling, do you think it's true? Not true? Other?

Thanks for hearing me out. I appreciate that this forum exists and that there might be someone who can understand what I’m going through.

We do get how difficult and unintuitive these relationships can be. While neither my H nor I have BPD, his kids' mom has many traits/behaviors, and I've been a member here for ~9 years to get support in how to cope more effectively. Standard "stepmom" advice does not cut it -- and I'm so grateful to have learned so many tools and skills here; it's improved our family life dramatically.
ChiRunner
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 10:50:09 AM »

Thank you, Kells76, for your thoughtful reply.

How old are your kids? How have they been doing with home life?
I have three. Two boys, 9 and 8, and an adopted daughter age 9. They are great kids and continue to seem well adjusted. My adopted daughter has a lot of emotional baggage (we adopted her at age 7) but her moods have evened out and she has actually taught us a lot about emotional regulation. My sons have both seen counselors because of the tumult of adopting their emotionally volatile sister. But their therapists gave them a clean bill of health and said "these kids don't need therapy."

Have you and your W ever done couples/marriage counseling?
We were in counseling, but when COVID shut everything down we stopped and never picked back up. After she threatened to divorce me last summer, I asked her to start back up with me and she refused saying she was burnt out on going to therapy (hers, our son's a daughter's). However, when I recently asked her to give me some space, she immediately scheduled an appointment with our former counselor. I am weary of jumping into it tho, until my individual therapist and I discuss what my next steps are. As I said before, I fully believe she has the potential to manipulate our counselor and have heard/read that individual therapy is recommended as couple's therapy can be a dead end with partners who have BPD traits.

Do your individual therapists have releases to talk with each other?
They do. I think they have in the past.

Has there been any physical violence?
No. Although she has made threats of violence if I were to leave her.

What did that look like to tell your partner you wanted emotional space to work with your therapist? What was your goal? How did your W respond?
At first she complied - We periodically go through stages when one of us does not want to talk to the other. Then she became insistent that I meet with her and her therapist. I told her I would wait until I met with mine to have any talks with her that extended beyond coparenting. My therapist gave me some assignments (mostly journaling and writing an "ugly first draft" of what I want her to know) and advised me to meet with him again to review our the homework before engaging with her. When I told her this she flew into a rage. I took a walk. When I got back she dramatically fell apart, trembling, sobbing, begging "I'll do anything just don't leave me." I calmly reiterated my need for time and space to work through my therapist's assignments and she accepted this. However, she begged me to write an email to him, right then and there in front on her so she could see, asking that he meet with me as soon as possible. I told I would do that if it would help her settle. she has been pretty respectful about my space and keeping things civil since, although a little impatient at times.

One of the key mindset shifts that can improve a relationship when BPD is involved is that we don't have to "ask permission" to take care of our own needs, and we don't need to announce to our partner that we want them to do something that's actually under our control.
Amen. Working on it. Smiling (click to insert in post)

it may get filtered back to you as "my therapist agrees with me that you're the source of all the problems, and I'm doing great and can graduate from therapy".
Bingo. I'm coming to the realization that my 50% of the equation has been and is the only thing I can control. I guess the "awakening" is of the mind that sees now that my partner has actually been undermining my self-worth and my sanity, intentionally or not, and now I need to decide if this partnership is something I can live with EVEN IF I DO THE WORK AND LEARN TO PROTECT MYSELF. I just don't see how I can get my emotional needs met by someone who I feel I have to be constantly suspicious of.

That means she may not "do her fair share" of "the work", just like a person in a wheelchair won't do "their fair share" of "climbing the ladder". Knowing ahead of time that the lion's share of personal work will fall to you, may help you avoid the dead end of resentment and find more effective ways forward.
As an educator, this really resonates with me and helps me frame the situation as one that I don't need to take personally.

Where do you think that feeling is coming from? As you step back and examine that feeling, do you think it's true? Not true? Other?

I don't want to drag this out any further than it has already been done, if indeed it is a dead end. Like I hear from so many others, my sanity is at stake - I have a ton of work to do to reclaim the personal power I've given away. I am concerned that my children are experiencing harm that I just don't see yet, the way I have not until now clearly seen what's been going on in my partnership. It remains to be seen if I can heal within the structure of this marriage. It may also be true that the only real way to do that is within this marriage. Don't know. Never been here, and it's a confusing place. I'm hurt and tired - I've already dedicated so many years to a partner who I now realize I may never feel entirely safe with, and who I can never be sure will be able to love me intimately, with sincerity and without scheming EVEN IF I LEARN TO STAND UP AND SAFEGUARD MY PERSONAL POWER. I thought I was doing my best to be a good husband. Now I realize I have been trading away pieces of my self in a effort to satisfy someone who I cannot satisfy. I FEEL I HAVE NEVER BEEN AND WILL NEVER BE ENOUGH FOR HER. And I think this means that she may never be enough for me. I genuinely feel like I'm in a hall of mirrors within this relationship, not sure if I can trust my mind or my feelings.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest