Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 10:25:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Push/Pull dynamic  (Read 482 times)
Goodpal

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: dating

« on: March 13, 2024, 08:23:10 AM »

I have been apart from my ex w/ bpd symptoms for about 2 months now and it has been a massive challenge. I stayed no contact for a long time, made sure not to read text messages and emails that were coming in. Broke down a few times and engaged but then got back to no contact.

I have been seeing a therapist, going on casual dates (just for friendship), attending church, working out but no matter how hard I try I just can't get her out of my mind. The heartbreak gets intense but as soon as a I read a text from her I feel momentarily better.

Anyhow, I was doing really good until a friend basically told me I'm letting go of a good thing and that I should reconsider that. Something clicked in my head and I instantly reached out with emotional texts. The next day I regretted it and she responded and it's been an up and down battle since. She's emotionally all over the place - one minute wants nothing but to reconcile and the next angry and traumatized.

I keep trying to ask myself if I can make this relationship work and as of right now I just don't feel that I have the emotional energy to do it again. It is 2 sided - amazingly awesome and emotionally draining. Plus I have my own stuff I've been working on that I finally seem to have gotten a handle of.

Any advice?
Pook075
Ambassador

Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 10:02:59 AM »

Anyhow, I was doing really good until a friend basically told me I'm letting go of a good thing and that I should reconsider that.

Any advice?

Be careful turning to friends for advice since they couldn't possibly understand BPD or the dynamics in play with your relationship.

That's not to say that you shouldn't reconsider a part to reconcile; that's 100% up to you and folks here would completely understand either way.  I just hope that you'd do it for the right reasons (you love her, you want to make it work) instead of the wrong ones (you're lonely, friends are encouraging you).

These relationships are notoriously hard to get over because they're so intense from start to finish.  Things seems perfect, and before you know it the relationship falls apart.  How?  Why?  We struggle to understand it and accept that there's serious mental illness at play here.

So I'll answer your question with a question.  If you were to try patching up the relationship, what would you do differently this time around to embrace the good stuff and manage the bad stuff?
Goodpal

Relationship status: dating

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 10:46:49 AM »

Excellent question.

For one I would make sure that I was "all in" and not seeing it as a temporary relationship. This means I would focus on being more emotionally present knowing that I would do my best to be more emotionally supportive when it was needed.

Also, when mood shifts occurred I would stand my ground and set a boundary stating I'm not going to allow this. The hard part for me though, the main reason I needed to leave, was the constant guilt poured on me every time I didn't respond quickly to a text, told her I needed a little time on my own, etc. The day after we broke up it was just refreshing to have my head space back again. We were in constant communication and I felt so wrapped up in her world I kind of lost myself. I would have to figure out what to do about that.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 11:25:27 AM »

Thanks for the update, Goodpal. It makes sense that you'd be questioning the end of your relationship after hearing someone say it was a good thing.

Like Pook075 mentioned, it's critical to understand that just going back to the relationship doesn't fix anything. Walking right back in with no difference in tools, skills, or mindset -- but with feelings of being alone, missing her, and being afraid of missing out -- suggests a repetition of what was broken.

And because you suspect BPD is involved, then traditional relationship mending approaches may also not be effective. It's kind of like taking antibiotics when you have a virus -- nobody would argue that "antibiotics are always bad", it's just that antibiotics won't be effective in your situation.

Let's drill down into these thoughts:

For one I would make sure that I was "all in" and not seeing it as a temporary relationship. This means I would focus on being more emotionally present knowing that I would do my best to be more emotionally supportive when it was needed.

To me, this reads as the "taking antibiotics when you have a virus" analogy.

If being more supportive improved BPD relationships, this board wouldn't be here.

Again, like the analogy, I wouldn't suggest "therefore being supportive is bad". It's more -- let's move to understanding what's effective and appropriate. We have a workshop on supporting vs enabling that might be helpful, too.

pwBPD have pretty big, seemingly unmeetable emotional needs, that can vary wildly. Many members here share how they kept doing more and more, giving more and more, agreeing with more and more, and doing everything they could think of to be "more supportive" -- but the relationship didn't improve, and, in fact, got worse.

Maybe a more effective approach to the "supportive" question could be:

Can I be OK with supporting at a level that I, from inside myself, have integrity about, regardless of how it's perceived?

If you suspect she has BPD, then she will almost by definition suffer from distorted perceptions. Relying on her perception of "did Goodpal support me enough" is relying on a disordered person to take the lead in the relationship. Getting a stronger sense of yourself, maybe with help and feedback from a neutral third party, may be critical in a second shot having a chance.

This may involve letting go of wanting to control outcomes. Can you go back into this relationship, choosing to care for her in a way that allows both of you to be separate adults in charge of their own feelings (i.e. not overfunctioning/oversupporting), and be OK with if she chooses to exit?

Also, when mood shifts occurred I would stand my ground and set a boundary stating I'm not going to allow this. The hard part for me though, the main reason I needed to leave, was the constant guilt poured on me every time I didn't respond quickly to a text, told her I needed a little time on my own, etc. The day after we broke up it was just refreshing to have my head space back again. We were in constant communication and I felt so wrapped up in her world I kind of lost myself. I would have to figure out what to do about that.

Let's dig into true boundaries a bit.

Sometimes there are misconceptions that boundaries require you to tell the other person something (like, "If I don't explain to her that I won't tolerate yelling, then I haven't set a boundary"). There are other misconceptions that boundaries are ultimatums, statements, or explanations.

Boundaries don't require the other person to listen or do anything. Boundaries are rules for yourself about what you are OK with letting into your life, and they are 100% under your control.

I think it's great that you are figuring out what you would do about taking time for yourself  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Maybe we can brainstorm some boundaries around that?

For example, a misconception would be that you have to ask her for more space.

If you already know about yourself that you need time for yourself... you don't have to explain it to her, or ask her permission. You are allowed to text her "I'll be busy until 5pm -- I will be able to respond to text again then".

And then that's where the rubber meets the road, because even if she texts you again 100 times, she isn't disrespecting your boundary... your boundary only needs you to respect it. If you don't reply until 5pm, then you have respected your own boundary. If you choose to reply to her, then you've disrespected/broken your boundary.

Does that kind of make sense -- that only you can set rules for yourself?

So what would sound do-able in terms of you caring for yourself by taking time for yourself? How might you phrase it to yourself, in a way that isn't asking permission from her, or making ultimatums? What rule do you have for yourself, that's 100% under your control?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 11:27:44 AM by kells76 » Logged
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 03:19:17 PM »

She's emotionally all over the place - one minute wants nothing but to reconcile and the next angry and traumatized.

There may - or may not - have been traumas in her prior life.  That's beyond your control.

But I would like to emphasize one aspect... you are not traumatizing her.  You're not the sort of person to abuse or traumatize.

So instead use the word "triggered".  Do you see how her being "triggered" by you - even that you exist - is less guilt-inducing than "traumatized"?

Remember that old saying...
BPD F.O.G. = Fear, Obligation, Guilt.

PeteWitsend

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 11:03:44 AM »

Be careful turning to friends for advice since they couldn't possibly understand BPD or the dynamics in play with your relationship.

This.  depending on age and experience, I assume very few people that aren't psychologists or have professional experience dealing with mental issues or disorders would realize BPD-type behavior for what it is, instead downplaying it as "all women are crazy sometimes" or something similar for men.  "Hot and crazy" is a joke to some people. 

But while movies and TV can make emotional outbursts seem humorous or even acceptable, it's a lot less fun to deal with in reality, when you're with someone emotionally unstable, and looking at spending the rest of your life riding a roller coaster of their behavior, not just a few hours.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest