Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 10:59:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Poll
Question: As a one who read the book, how do you rate this book?
Excellent - 0 (0%)
Good - 0 (0%)
Fair - 0 (0%)
Poor - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Integrative Treatment for BPD - John Preston, Psy.D  (Read 994 times)
BPDFamily
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: September 29, 2007, 07:17:42 PM »

Integrative Treatment for Borderline Personality Disorder
Author: John D. Preston, PsyD
Publisher: New Harbinger Publications (April 3, 2006)
Paperback: 177 pages
ISBN-10: 1572244461
ISBN-13: 9781572244467

Book Description
This is a book about blending the most effective treatment techniques available for BPD into a clear and systematic protocol. This book was designed for therapist, but is an excellent read for a supporting parent, partner, or child.  

Preston distilled a massive amount of scholarship and personal experience into a hundred sixty-five pages that one can actually read and understand without a Ph.D. (or a Psy.D.). He has demystified the Borderline to the point one can grasp it and understand how therapy works.

The book includes skills for regulation of out-of-control emotions, including some from the much acclaimed dialectical behavior therapy (DBT). The book also benefits from the psychopharmacological expertise of its author, John Preston, whose Handbook of Clinical Psychopharmacology for Therapists is the essential resource for therapists about psychoactive medication.

About the Author
John Preston, Psy.D. is a board certified neuropsychologist, and ABPP in counseling psychology. He is the author of eighteen books on various topics including psychopharmacology, psychological assessment, neurobiology and psychotherapy. His books have been translated into 14 foreign languages. He has been in clinical practice for 25 years and a workshop presenter for the past 23 years. He has lectured in many locations throughout the North America, as well as in Europe and Russia.

Preston's Handbook of Clinical Psychopharmacology for Therapists was the 2006 number one best seller with the Behavioral Science Book Club. His self-help book, You Can Beat Depression, has been endorsed by the National Mental Health Association for use in their nation wide campaign to combat clinical depression.

Abigail

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married for 26 years

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 05:03:56 PM »

I have not read this particular book but I do have another book by the same author, "Shorter Term Treatment for the Borderline Personality Disorder."  It prioritized areas to work on and improve esp. when insurance companies limit the amount of therapeutic visits for patients.  I found him knowledgeable and the book informative, although sometimes a bit clinical.  It talked a lot about the different types of therapies and how each worked and their application to borderline personality disorder.

Abigail
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition