Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 19, 2024, 05:34:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Poll
Question: As a one who read the book, how do you rate this book?
Excellent - 10 (83.3%)
Good - 1 (8.3%)
Fair - 0 (0%)
Poor - 1 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 02. Borderline Personality Disorder in Adolescents - Blaise A. Aguirre, MD  (Read 3724 times)
Skip
Site Director

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: November 15, 2007, 01:40:22 AM »

Borderline Personality Disorder in Adolescents:
Author: Blaise A. Aguirre, MD
Publisher: Fair Winds; 2 edition (September 15, 2014)
Paperback: 288 pages
ISBN-10: 1592336493
ISBN-13: 978-1592336494

Staff Review: Staff review here

Book Description
There is no other adolescent borderline personality book in the general trade book market–only BPD books focused on adults. With the recent development in diagnostic techniques and treatments, thousands of teens are discovering they have borderline personality disorder.

Borderline Personality Disorder in Adolescents" offers parents, caregivers, and adolescents themselves a complete understanding of this complex and tough-to-treat disorder. It thoroughly explains what it is and what a patient's treatment options are. Author Blaise A. Aguirre, M.D., describes the cutting edge treatments and brings into focus what we do and don't know about this condition. He explains the most advanced techniques available, including the revolutionary new treatment called dialectic behavior therapy. Readers will learn the differences between BPD and other adolescent psychiatric diagnoses; treatment options (e.g., medication and therapy); how to choose the right therapist; how to determine when impatient treatment is necessary; how to enforce boundaries; how to take care of and protect yourself; and practical techniques for effective communication with those who have BPD.

About the Author
Blaise Aguirre received his medical degree from the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa. He completed the residency program in psychiatry at Boston University and a fellowship in child and adolescent psychiatry at the Boston Medical Center. After completion of his residency he served as assistant training director for the Boston University Child and Adolescent Fellowship program and after that was appointed as Medical Director of the Lowell Youth Treatment Center. He has been on staff at McLean (Harvard) since 2000. He is board certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in psychiatry. Dr. Aguirre is experienced in child, adolescent and adult psychopharmacology and psychotherapy, including DBT. He holds an appointment as an Instructor in Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Aguirre also has a small private practice where he specializes in adolescent and adult psychotherapy of Borderline Personality Disorder.

tired_mom

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 03:27:19 PM »

I spent this morning reading this book, cover to cover... .i couldn't put it down. FIVE STARS and Kudos to Dr. Aguirre for such a comprehensive explanation of BPD in adolescents. I have spent over a year researching and reading for any snipet of what my daughter-as an adolescent - not an adult ... is going thru and how to effectively help and become educated in her, no,  our "journey" of this disorder and resources /understanding towards a healing helpful process - all wrapped up in one concise package. Many nods in recognition of seeing her in this book.

Very well written in laymens terms - for the parent or caregiver just becoming familiar with BPD - A recommended first read and starting point.

and all this for under $12! WOW Smiling (click to insert in post)Smiling (click to insert in post)Smiling (click to insert in post)
CA2CO2AZ

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 11:39:16 AM »

This $12 book did more than $18K spent in treatment!

First, I am NOT advising anyone to replace any treatment with this book.

I'd simply like to guide parents who, like us, may have been chasing their tails in search of a proper diagnosis and treatment for your teen to this new source of help and hope. Unlike many mental health care professionals, Dr. Aguirre truly attempts to understand the BPD teen and their families, rather than label and medicate.

Last year we spent over 18K on treatment for depression, bipolar and/or PTSD, all the while knowing BPD was her afflication (family history). Only to have our asthmatic honor student move in with the boyfriend, drop out of school, start smoking and get 3 tatoos - last month.

Reading this book has changed our lives in a matter of days. Dr. Aguirre really 'gets it'

and once I was able to speak that understanding truth with my BPD teen - she lit up! She is impressed with his knowledge of BPD depression sometimes not being anything like classical depression. She says her lows are due to feelings of shame and guilt, "I never have a I can't get outta bed sadness." She also agreed that while she is able to pass advanced English courses and write beautiful stories, she lacks the ability to express her feelings. It felt so good to she her finally feel understood.

I know that we still have a long way to go and lots more work to do but this book gave me hope that we are finally headed in the right direction.

Thanks Dr. Aguirre!
Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 04:30:08 PM »

I agree. I think this book is GREAT.Randi Kreger

I had a borderline mother and narcissistic father.
tired_mom

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 09:33:01 AM »

bringing this book back to the top of the list  for those of us dealing with teen BPD. definately worth buying/reading this one.

tired_mom
daisy4463

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 12:39:51 PM »

Dr. Blaise Aguirre is a genius, truly as skilled professional. I have read his book several times (it's home is my night stand) and was fortunate enough to have him treat my daughter. Brilliant man!
billybragg123

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »

Also recommended by www.BPDsupport.tumblr.com/ a site by teens supporting each other as they struggle with BPD
blackandwhite
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 08:22:38 AM »

Family Perspectives on Borderline Personality Disorder: The Basics and Beyond

Atlanta, GA - November 4, 2011

Blaise Aguirre, MD [Video]

His session at the recent NEA-BPD conference is here:  https://bpdfamily.org/2013/05/bpdfamily.html#d.

It's well worth watching. He covers many of the issues we see here related to young people (generally under 18).

B&W

What they call you is one thing.
What you answer to is something else. ~ Lucille Clifton
tiredmommy2

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 06:04:12 PM »

Excellent video - both informative and entertaining. 

Thank you for posting.  Smiling (click to insert in post)
eastmeetswest

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 06:12:31 PM »

BlackandWhite

Just saw the the talk on youtube.  Fantastic!  Have a 5yo gs who one day will be a teenager.  Great guidelines for noticing BPD in him.

Thank you
Kidnapped

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 11:25:15 AM »

Thanks. Good vid.

I especially liked his comment about how can you tell a teen from a BPD teen, when they are doing exactly the same things.  It makes it so hard for a parent to explain to anyone else!  Most teens will push boundaries. But your teen doesn't even recognize that there ARE boundaries. One will ultimately scare themselves, but the other will scare you. And because they were doing the same thing, sometimes together, it becomes so easy and so tempting to convince yourself that you are overreacting - just like they and everyone has been telling you. That somehow, the real problem is your own attitude and actions. Because it's so much easier to believe that you are horribly wrong than that there is something that horribly wrong with your child. Your gut doesn't really buy it, but the rest of you wantss to believe it. Round and round we go.

Thank goodness somebody really gets it now!
Sadforson

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 06:34:41 PM »

Thank you.  Very insightful video!
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 07:19:59 PM »

thanks for posting that link b&w!  just sent the link to my dd15's t at the rtc.  she specializes in rad and is really working hard to integrate dbt (wrote her thesis on dbt at the same time she was treating my dd15) into her treatment plan.

lbjnltx

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Someday . . .

Relationship status: married, 36 years

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 11:23:13 PM »

Interesting sidenote:  Dr. Aguirre met a woman while doing internship in South Africa who was hospitalized due to suicidal ideation (diagnosed BPD).  Long story short:  He married her and after a difficult marriage to her, they divorced.  He is a very caring, compassionate man who thought that how could he help someone like her.  His answer was  to give people diagnosed with BPD the skills for an effective life as early as possible.  In fact if you want to read his book about the marriage he wrote a book under the psuedonym of Anthony Walker :The Sirens Dance: My Marriage to a Borderline:  A Case Study.
griz

Relationship status: married

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »

Thank you so much for posting this link.  So incredibly interesting.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Griz
billybragg123

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 02:46:19 PM »

Mindfulness for Borderline Personality Disorder

by Blaise Aguirre MD

Book Description

I was paging through an NEABPD review copy of this book that will come out May 1. Mindfulness for Borderline Personality Disorder by Blaise Aguirre and Gillian Galen from Harvard and McLean Hospital. This book is intended to help people target and successfully manage many of the familiar symptoms of BPD. It outlines the basics of mindfulness through specific exercises and provides real-life stories from people who have BPD.

It seems that many people with BPD would gain so much if they would just slow down and pay attention to what is actually happening in life rather than to what is happening in their head! They have some good exercises in the book and even some that you can use with your family and kids. It is also well reviewed by critics. Will do a full review and report back when I get my own copy.

About the Author

BLAISE Aguirre received his medical degree from the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa. He completed the residency program in psychiatry at Boston University and a fellowship in child and adolescent psychiatry at the Boston Medical Center. After completion of his residency he served as assistant training director for the Boston University Child and Adolescent Fellowship program and after that was appointed as Medical Director of the Lowell Youth Treatment Center. He has been on staff at McLean (Harvard) since 2000. He is board certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in psychiatry. Dr. Aguirre is experienced in child, adolescent and adult psychopharmacology and psychotherapy, including DBT. He holds an appointment as an Instructor in Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Aguirre also has a small private practice where he specializes in adolescent and adult psychotherapy of Borderline Personality Disorder.

# Paperback: 224 pages

# Publisher: New Harbinger Publications; 1 edition (May 1, 2013)

# Language: English

# ISBN-10: 1608825655

# ISBN-13: 978-1608825653

Free One

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 02:50:03 PM »

One of the best videos I've seen describing BPD behavior, in relation to the diagnostic criteria, in an understandable way. Not just for teens, but all pwBPD.
billybragg123

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 03:59:37 PM »

www.blaismdBPD.blogspot.com/2014/09/whose-therapy-is-it-anyway-dbt.html
billybragg123

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 06:05:32 PM »

This second edition of Borderline Personality Disorder in Adolescents offers parents, caregivers, and adolescents themselves a complete understanding of this complex and tough-to-treat disorder. It is a comprehensive guide which thoroughly explains what BPD is and what a patient's treatment options are, including an overview of the revolutionary new treatment called dialectic behavior therapy. Author Blaise A. Aguirre, M.D., one of the foremost experts in the field, describes recent advances in treatments and brings into focus what we know, and don't know, about this condition.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions