Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
November 18, 2018, 05:27:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Harley Quinn, Harri, Once Removed, Radcliffwendydarling
Senior Ambassadors: Flourdust, Mutt, Turkish, Woolspinner2000
Ambassadors: BeagleGirl, bluek9, Cat Familiar, CryWolf, Enabler, Feeling Better, formflier, Insom, JNChell, Merlot, Mustbeabetterway, RolandOfEld, spero, zachira
  Help!   Groups   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Register to post Here  
PSYCHOLOGY: Help us build this database.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TREATMENT: Cures and Recovery  (Read 6574 times)
BPDTransformation

Person in your life: Friend

« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2015, 02:06:18 PM »

Hi Painted,

I'd be happy to share some experience from when I was more "borderline"; private message me if you want.

Your questions could be hard to answer objectively, since each person's circumstances are the severity of their problems vary. For example, if you have the question, "How long does it take for an untreated patient to achieve results?" that would depend on the severity of the person's problems, their willingness to seek help, the quality and intensity of resources available to help them, among other factors. So it would vary greatly for individuals. With DBT or schema, that might be partly a matter of personal preference, or it might depend on how good the clinician is who is providing the treatment, again, among many other factors.

My interest is in psychodynamic therapy, of which Kernberg's Transference-Focused Therapy would be the closest among the kinds discussed so far.

At the bottom of this page there are some links to some of their research studies - www.transferencefocusedpsychotherapy.com/borderline-personality-disorder-TFP-research.php

I also think you can learn a lot from reading extended case studies. In another post I shared how I'd read about these in books by various authors, for example Jeffrey Seinfeld, James Masterson, and Vamik Volkan. In this way you can get a sense of the "borderline" beyond the label, seeing them as an individual, and understand better what problems they started with and what progress they made by the end of treatment. When you lump loads of different people together in a study, you are talking about averages or aggregates, and these may not give you accurate information about any individual.

With my two friends who are borderline, I am encouraging them to do psychodynamic therapy long-term. I think it usually takes at least a few years to achieve significant change; that is from my own experience.

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: