Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2017, 12:17:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Why do we get angry? Read here
Administrator: heartandwhole
Moderators: Meili, once removed
Member support team: gotbushels, Tattered Heart, Turkish, wendydarling, Woolspinner2000
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD: Treatments, Cures, and Recovery  (Read 55702 times)
lemon flower

triss

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2014, 02:17:37 PM »

hi ziniztar,

glad to hear this :-)

just curious: what made your bf choose schema therapy and not DBT ?

any specific motivations for that ?

is 3 years an average estimated time for this therapy ?

You called me strong, you called me weak
You took for granted all the times I never let you down
You stumbled in and bumped your head, if not for me then you'd be dead
I picked you up and put you back on solid ground,
and watched the world float to the dark side of the moon...
- 3 Doors Down -

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

ziniztar

Person in your life: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2014, 03:26:47 PM »

just curious: what made your bf choose schema therapy and not DBT ?

any specific motivations for that ?

is 3 years an average estimated time for this therapy ?

Not that I know of, but I'm not sure he is aware of the type of therapy he gets. We live in NL and schema is kind of big here because a renowed professor who has done a lot of research on it is part of a Dutch university.

The three years is something I read everywhere. His T has not mentioned anything about it as I think it can be devastating to hear that you need at least 3 years of therapy. When I mentioned it to him once he was shocked - obviously not something he had heard of before.

He also has ADHD so maybe the comorbidity lead to schema, as I think it relies less on structured behaviour and more on insight, re-parenting, re-building. Due to his ADHD impulsivity or poor executive control is his biggest challenge.. DBT may be lesser appropriate in that case?

Change only takes places through action
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »

Contrary to this, the follow-up studies came to a conclusion that interpersonal relationships were the least likely to improve[/color]

Good reference, BorisAcusio.

Doing the right thing

The studies conclusions were:

Behaviorally oriented features, such as...

• recurrent breakups,

• sadism,

• demandingness,

• entitlement,

• regression in treatment, and

• boundary violations,

... remitted quickly and were rare at the end of follow-up.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3222950/

This is pretty promising.

The interpersonal features slowest to remit were affective responses to being alone, active caretaking, discomfort with care, and dependency.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3222950/

Also true.

ziniztar

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2014, 02:59:51 PM »

Skip, that article was very useful! I love reading scientific stuff about this, gives me a sense of control and understanding I guess.

I read that active caretaking is one of the toughest to disappear... as a woman with a clear desire to become a mom at some point.. I was wondering what is meant by active caretaking. Of others? Which is difficult because of the strong emotions inside that will probaly not leave and therefore leave the pwBPD pre-occupied with his/her own affects?

Change only takes places through action
PaintedBlack28

« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2014, 04:53:06 AM »

Can someone please shed some light on this:

How therapy works in the borderline mind?

How can someone who has lived by the all black/white rule can possibly change the way they perceive the world? Is there some kind of manual for this? How long does it take for an untreated patient to achieve results? Is it very effective? What will the natural evolution of the disorder be if the pwBPD doesnt take any therapy?

Will the therapist use hypnosis as a tool to discover what happened to the patient in his childhood?

Was the disorder "dormant" through the pwBPD's life and the suddenly manifested itself?

DBT or SCHEMA, which one is best?

BPDTransformation

Person in your life: Friend

« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2015, 02:06:18 PM »

Hi Painted,

I'd be happy to share some experience from when I was more "borderline"; private message me if you want.

Your questions could be hard to answer objectively, since each person's circumstances are the severity of their problems vary. For example, if you have the question, "How long does it take for an untreated patient to achieve results?" that would depend on the severity of the person's problems, their willingness to seek help, the quality and intensity of resources available to help them, among other factors. So it would vary greatly for individuals. With DBT or schema, that might be partly a matter of personal preference, or it might depend on how good the clinician is who is providing the treatment, again, among many other factors.

My interest is in psychodynamic therapy, of which Kernberg's Transference-Focused Therapy would be the closest among the kinds discussed so far.

At the bottom of this page there are some links to some of their research studies - www.transferencefocusedpsychotherapy.com/borderline-personality-disorder-TFP-research.php

I also think you can learn a lot from reading extended case studies. In another post I shared how I'd read about these in books by various authors, for example Jeffrey Seinfeld, James Masterson, and Vamik Volkan. In this way you can get a sense of the "borderline" beyond the label, seeing them as an individual, and understand better what problems they started with and what progress they made by the end of treatment. When you lump loads of different people together in a study, you are talking about averages or aggregates, and these may not give you accurate information about any individual.

With my two friends who are borderline, I am encouraging them to do psychodynamic therapy long-term. I think it usually takes at least a few years to achieve significant change; that is from my own experience.

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD
My Parent/Sibling has BPD