Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 12, 2024, 03:01:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Expert insight for adult children
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
How to spot a liar
Pamela Meyer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I felt like no one would ever understand  (Read 385 times)
tippyfromafrica
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: estranged

« on: October 31, 2021, 10:46:39 AM »

I felt for such a long time that no one would ever understand just how extremely miserable my mother made me. In high school I remember struggling with self-esteem, issues with friends and general mood problems. But by far my biggest stressor was my mom - she made me feel like I was crazy, incapable of forming healthy long-term relationships to anyone. She told me once I was schizophrenic because the way I remembered a past argument was so wildly different from her version. I felt smothered by incessant drama. She always had multiple legal or personal fights going and she would drag these out in hour long recollections and rants to me. I was sometimes an "angel-child" and sometimes I "treated her like a slave and abused her" within the span of an evening. I remember telling a joke in the car once and suddenly having an extremely intense reaction of rage from her - I was 15 at the time and I could not tell you what I had said or done to aggravate her like that, she would not tell me. I have so many incomprehensible stories from the time I spent with my mom. When a therapist told me some years ago (when I was 18) that it sounds like BPD I looked to the internet for people who might be able to understand how utterly confusing and terrifying it is growing up with a BPD mother. It felt like I was reading my own story. Feeling less alone in this has been important to me. I really want to the affects this psychological abuse has had on me (I am soon turning 24). More than anything I want to build healthy, loving relationships with partners, friends and my family members that are free of the guilt, shame and emotional reactions I developed as a child...
zachira
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 11:19:06 AM »

We want to extend a warm welcome to our community while understanding the sad circumstances that bring you here. There are many members on PSI with a mother with BPD, who have been here seeking support and helping others, some for several years. So many people do not get it that they have a mother with BPD until they are in the later years of life. You are about to turn 24, and have many years ahead of you to heal from the abuse you have suffered at the hands of your mother and make healthy relationships with people who treat you with respect and kindness. There is no limit on length of posts and how often you can post. You are not alone. Do let us know how we can be the most helpful.

Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 08:50:31 PM »

Hi tippyfromafricaWelcome new member (click to insert in post)

I'd like to join zachira in giving you a big welcome! Yes, we certainly do understand, and thank you for sharing some of your story with us. My mom was also uBPD, so I really do get it. The effect upon us is huge.

Keep.posting!
Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
HappyChappy

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 11:00:18 AM »

Hi tippyfromafrica
A warm welcome to the forum  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)
You'll find most of us on here understand because people with BPD share well documented behavioural patterns. Well done on figuring it out so young, I was in my 40's when I realised. I look forwards to seeing more of your posts. Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. Wilde.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest