Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 20, 2024, 10:17:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Future Relationship Apprehension  (Read 379 times)
Concerns

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 28, 2016, 09:33:44 AM »

So I am in no shape for a new relationship but I have thoughts of the future. I am seriously apprehensive about being in another relationship. I had trust issues before my BPD relationship. Thinking about opening up to someone and being intimate is something that I long for. But since its been absent for years now, I am feeling pretty beat up. I think I may still be in my previous mindset. I think in order to move forward that I have to create a new me. A new way of relating to the world and to people. How do you begin to share with someone else, in a healthy way, after the trauma(and I think its on par with trauma) of a BPD relationship?

I suppose the primary answer could be if I am healthy then anything is possible. But do we ever really recover from our past?
prisonmike

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:57:58 AM »

I suppose the primary answer could be if I am healthy then anything is possible. But do we ever really recover from our past?

I like to think that we can learn from the past. And I suppose learning is a good step towards recovering. Being happy with yourself first is critical. For me, after I get out of this toxic relationship, I'm going to spend a long time as a single man just learning to love life on my own. After I am happy and at peace with myself and my life then I will look for a new relationship.

But focusing on making yourself happy with yourself first is most important.
Concerns

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 12:19:47 PM »

As a younger man, I spent alot of time soul-searching and digging at my internal conflicts and wounds. I know what they are. I've exposed them and came to grips with them. I spent alot of time by myself working on me. Yet, I'm still getting turned upside-down by either who I'm in a relationship with or how I'm cross-referencing myself within that relationship.
Nuitari

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 05:06:52 PM »

Concerns,

I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say that I'm in the same boat you're in, and understand completely where your coming from. All of the wounds are still too fresh for me to consider another relationship, and I'm afraid they'll never heal enough, that I'll be stuck in this traumatized state of mind for the rest of my life. I don't want to begin a new relationship until I know I'm not going to carry over unresolved issues from my BPD one into it, but I don't know if that's possible. I'm still reeling over everything that's happened, and I feel like I've been emotionally damaged in ways that I haven't even begun to process. In particular, I don't know if I'll ever be able to trust anyone again.

In a weird way, I feel like my ex has made me more like her. I don't want to be alone, but I don't want to get close to anyone either. I can't risk the pain.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest