Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 12, 2024, 07:28:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just learning that my spouse has QBPD  (Read 389 times)
JBDigital
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: July 29, 2021, 01:20:23 AM »

I have never done this before.  My spouse has most of the symptoms of Quiet BPD.  Some are severe.  She is meeting with the psychologist and psychiatrist for confirming the diagnosis.  They are talking about ECT therapy as an adjunct option for her.  She is not one to act out or display emotions, she pushes them inward.  Most of these thoughts and emotions look unfair and harsh from the outside so I can imagine the heft of what is going in. I hurt for her struggling spirit. I see a need to be supportive without being "triggering".  I am just looking for some advice on how to show up and listen better.  To become a safer partner for her. 
I am feeling better equipped after a few months of trying to work on me, but worry that I might say the wrong thing.  I wonder if I have enough of what she needs to find some healing. Mostly I want to be a safe place for her to go to, and to offer her more constant love.   
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 12:31:12 AM »

worry that I might say the wrong thing. 

you almost certainly will. we all have and will again. try to understand that this will happen. being a safe place for her to go to, and a source of constant love (is precisely what you want to shoot for, and what she needs) doesnt preclude that. its what will sustain your relationship through the storms.

understand that a diagnosis and/or therapy may mean a lot of volatility, even if, initially, there is a sigh of relief for one or both of you. its a journey. things can get worse before they get better, and thats not to say they cant get a whole lot better! its just to encourage you to go into this process with eyes wide open, and youre asking the right questions.

there are (among many others) two good places to start in this process: https://www.bpdfamily.com/content/what-does-it-take-be-relationship
this is written for parents but is highly relevant: https://www.bpdfamily.com/content/support-child-therapy

additionally, its a good idea to have a strong support system yourself. im glad you found us.

how long have you and your wife been married? what led up to her seeing a psychologist and a psychiatrist?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest