Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 15, 2024, 03:13:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for advice from other bpd partners  (Read 386 times)
Jwood

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Cycling between together/not together

« on: December 12, 2019, 12:20:53 AM »

I've been in a back and forth relationship with my boyfriend for 2 years. He first left 5 months in. Completely disappeared with no explanation. I'd never experienced anything like this before. We were progressing in a normal way and had a ton in common and really liked each other then out of no where he started suddenly acting differently and was gone. It hurt but it was clearly something going on with him that i didn't understand. 6 weeks later he called apologized profusely and said he got scared and ran which he said had happened before for him. He wanted to give us a real chance and said he cared a great deal for me. From there we fell madly in love. We were best friends and did everything together. I stayed at his place 4 nights a week. He lives approx 75 miles from me. He was acting like his authentic self and talked of us moving in together and marriage. Everything was good. Fast forward 10 months and things started happening again the way they did just before he disappeared the first time. This has now happened another 3 times in the past 8 months where he's completely disappeared, blocked me, said incredibly terrible things, and it appears on the verge of happening again. He has all the symptoms of bpd and recently his 2 young adult children have expressed to me they think they both have bpd as well they think their dad has it. I decided to talk to him about this frankly this last time we got back together and he said maybe he does have it. He is still cycling back and forth between some self awareness and complete denial. I am feeling utterly devasted and confused as to what to do. I love him but it's killing me. Add to all this he neglected to tell me when we first started dating that he had herpes and has given it to me. Even with all this i still love him and am trying and have always tried to keep us in a healthy place and stay in my boundaries. I refuse to be in a codependent relationship. Any advice on how others have dealt with similar situations is appreciated.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Jwood

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 08:10:22 PM »

I'm trying to get him into counseling but it's challenging. Any suggestions? Anyone with a similar experience? What worked/didn't work?
1st Circle
Fewer than 3 Posts

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 04:29:01 AM »

Hi there, JWood.

I'm sorry that you're having to ask these questions. I'm also sorry that I'm afraid I'm not going to be very helpful. I used to think I knew what I was doing, but at this moment I don't feel qualified to give advice. I've been with my husband for almost four and a half years. He's never disappeared on me, but I he threatened to leave me tonight and I certainly have my share of other stories. (Like the time he picked a fight due and took off in the car, and I figured he'd probably be back but would be driving recklessly and I would be worried sick, so I started to change out of my pajamas and into my jeans to go with him just so he'd have a reason to drive more carefully, and he left me standing in the driveway with my pants half off as I tried to run to the car. How's that for codependent? Or for a run-on sentence?) I think you basically just have to decide what you're willing to accept and what you're not. I think I've accepted more than I'd advise most people to, but there are some things that would be past my limit. It just depends on where yours is.

I got my husband the Cognitive Behavioral Workbook, which he swore he would read if I bought it. He read about a quarter of it. He showed some improvements, but stopped reading it, and seems to be regressing presently. I don't know if your boyfriend would consider working in a book like that or not, or would follow through with it if he started. It might be worth a try, I suppose.

As I said, I'm not terribly helpful right now. But I decided to reply because I saw nobody had yet replied to your post. I'm in the same boat -- first time poster and nobody has replied to mine yet, either, Laugh out loud (click to insert in post). Feeling pretty low and vulnerable and didn't want you to think that nobody was listening while you're waiting for someone more helpful to answer.

I'm sorry again that you're having to even think about these horrible issues. I really wish you all the best.
Jwood

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 10:29:19 AM »

Hi 1st circle,

Thank you for your response. It's so helpful to feel heard.

I too am struggling. Trying to stand firm in my boundaries but feeling sad, unsure, and treated badly most of the time. Everything is volitile and splitting type behaviour is very common. He comes back says how sorry he is, how much he loves me, acknowledges there are things going on with him etc. Then, within the space of a few weeks, he begins to split. Acts differently, less affectionate, mean at times, and i start trying to repair and talk to him and it all goes into a tail spin. Projecting everything he's doing to me onto me. It's very strange and confusing to navigate.

I feel I'm at a point where it's affecting me so much that i need to say enough. I know this is not going to get better without proper treatment and with a counselor leading his recovery. Crazy to know that all the literature says it's one of the most treatable conditions provided they commit to it and those with a good support system typically do well.

I feel for you in your situation too. I hear your frustration and sense you really love him. Staying out of codepency is a fine line. Hopefully you have someone to talk to? My plan today is to book a counselling session for myself. He and i had gone a couple of times at the end of summer and it was positive. My plan was always that he'd get in one on one but that's not happened yet. I have had several sessions with the therapist just trying to cope with all of this.

Take care 
Stillhopeful4

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 12:00:29 PM »

Hi Jwood.

Check out the tools section.  There are lots of tips that can help guide you.

Also, post often, give details about specific situations and members can help you navigate as well.  It's good that you are going to find a therapist.  That's step one.  Also, take some time for yourself and practice self care.   Read a book, go take a yoga class, do something for YOU~

Best of luck on this journey~
SH4

Jwood

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 02:41:13 PM »

Thank you. I will check out the tools section. Appreciate your kind words.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest