Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 17, 2024, 07:33:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a few questions that may help some look deeper into their r/s  (Read 327 times)
problemsolver

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: October 21, 2015, 11:43:39 PM »

As I near the end of my healing... I just have a few more questions regarding if what I experienced was "normal" in terms of BPD r/s... I probably have 1 or 2 threads left in me but I'm almost healed... 6 months post bu... 1 month post closure...

1) Is it normal to be put in a 1 way relationship?  Meaning the pwBPD tries to make it an open relationship but only for them... they want to run off in dabble in a bunch of different people but expect you to just sit there and be loyal to them? This is what I experienced at a later point of course not in the beginning. . Not sure if this is BPD or just dating in 2015

2) Did you feel you deserved the devaluation stage? Is that why perhaps you put up with the abuse as long as you did? ... .(if you were mentally abused)

3) scale of 1- 10 how mentally exhausted did your pwBPD make you feel? Did you feel he or she was an emotional vampire ? But you continued to push through?

4) Are you committed to healing? Or are you secretly waiting for him/her to come back and have a change of heart?

5) When you break down their disorder do you feel sorry for them? When you truly break down the symptoms and realize it is probably hard to deal with despite how much they have hurt some of us... at the end the day I feel my pwBPD at one point wanted a successful r/s... but she did put me through some hellish times... .do you feel sorry for them?

6) Did you pwBPD show early signs of sabotage? Why do you think they sabotage?  My BPDex showed alot of early signs of this... I am unsure why she did it ... maybe she didn't want to be in the r/s? I have no idea... why do you think they sabotage early on?

7) Did you find triangulation to be a common theme? almost as if you were constantly in a triangle ?

8) Do you feel after a certain point your pwBPD started to ruin your life ... example... social group of friends or career etc.

I realize it's alot of questions but it may be therapeutic for some to look deeper.

Thoughts

Schermarhorn
formerly nonya24

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 01:31:31 AM »

As I near the end of my healing... I just have a few more questions regarding if what I experienced was "normal" in terms of BPD r/s... I probably have 1 or 2 threads left in me but I'm almost healed... 6 months post bu... 1 month post closure...

1) Is it normal to be put in a 1 way relationship?  Meaning the pwBPD tries to make it an open relationship but only for them... they want to run off in dabble in a bunch of different people but expect you to just sit there and be loyal to them? This is what I experienced at a later point of course not in the beginning. . Not sure if this is BPD or just dating in 2015

2) Did you feel you deserved the devaluation stage? Is that why perhaps you put up with the abuse as long as you did? ... .(if you were mentally abused)

3) scale of 1- 10 how mentally exhausted did your pwBPD make you feel? Did you feel he or she was an emotional vampire ? But you continued to push through?

4) Are you committed to healing? Or are you secretly waiting for him/her to come back and have a change of heart?

5) When you break down their disorder do you feel sorry for them? When you truly break down the symptoms and realize it is probably hard to deal with despite how much they have hurt some of us... at the end the day I feel my pwBPD at one point wanted a successful r/s... but she did put me through some hellish times... .do you feel sorry for them?

6) Did you pwBPD show early signs of sabotage? Why do you think they sabotage?  My BPDex showed alot of early signs of this... I am unsure why she did it ... maybe she didn't want to be in the r/s? I have no idea... why do you think they sabotage early on?

7) Did you find triangulation to be a common theme? almost as if you were constantly in a triangle ?

8) Do you feel after a certain point your pwBPD started to ruin your life ... example... social group of friends or career etc.

I realize it's alot of questions but it may be therapeutic for some to look deeper.

Thoughts

1. I haven't experienced this.

2. No I did not. Part of me would brush it off because I knew her childhood abuse gave her issues. Another reason was that I wanted the RS to work out.

3. I would say a 9/10.

4. Committed to healing, but I have a lot of bad days and anticipate further contact.

5. At times I feel very sorry for her.

6. Yes.

7. Yes, once.

8. No, I kept my friends away from her.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 01:42:57 AM »

hey problemsolver  

ive enjoyed your questions. they make for good discussion and its useful to try and understand the dynamics of the relationships weve been in. what i dont see in this particular set of questions is much personal responsibility, that is, where we, or i, or you played a role. thats useful too, and im going to answer in that spirit.

1) examine your question on its face. "is it normal to be put in a 1 way relationship?". successful relationships of any kind are not one way. so what kept you in a situation you were uncomfortable with? it sounds like it conflicted with your values. does what you described fit under general BPD behavior? no. people do have varying opinions about open relationships. i dont judge, but i do know that its not for me, and i would not be comfortable in a situation where my partner was pursuing such a thing.

2) in my relationship there was no devaluation stage. in general, i would be devalued when she raged. call it black and white thinking, dysregulation, any number of things. i think that this question assumes we all virtually experienced the same relationship, and stages, and we did not. i put up with the abuse for many different reasons, some make more sense than others. one reason is that it was not in stages or permanent, it was intermittent. if it had been constant, or even more consistent, i likely would have left... .many of us (not all) would have. in some cases there are certainly clearer "stages", and the reasons may vary. some express prolonged hope of returning to the idealization stage. thats usually intermittent too. no one deserves abuse or devaluation. the question is, if you put up with abuse, why?

3) terms like "emotional vampire" are probably not the most accurate way to describe our exes. my ex had positive qualities or else i would not have stayed. keep in mind too, that vampires have to be invited in  Idea

4) im four and a half years out. time gives you a lot of perspective.

5) i personally wouldnt use the words "feel sorry for", but thats semantics. i feel compassion for my ex, as i do for all of the mentally ill. i feel tremendous compassion, i always will. i dont feel pity, shes an adult, living her life, making her choices. but i know what her family dynamic was like; i know that she was frequently rejected by her father and it breaks my heart. i know that she did not ask to have a personality disorder. i know that finding happiness with life or within herself, finding a stable, happy, healthy romantic relationship, are very very difficult for her, and that breaks my heart too.

6) there is some more overgeneralizing here. can you clarify what you mean by sabotage? how do you think your ex sabotaged the relationship?

7) not on the surface. i wonder if you might be asking if you felt compared to her exes and in a competition? id gone through that in previous relationships. my ex did mention her ex with indirect comparisons and i expressed very quickly that i was totally uncomfortable with that. in fairness i did it too, and she wasnt comfortable with it either. we stopped. its best to resolve past relationships before entering a new one. there were forms of triangulation. particularly, the way she would try to pit me against my mother. that should have been a deal breaker and i regret that it wasnt. triangulation is not a BPD behavior, it is something that everyone does, and there is such thing as healthy triangulation. more importantly, its something we can be conscious of; we are not forced into triangles. we can get off.

8) frankly, abandoning groups of friends or careers is a personal decision, not someone else ruining our life. thats enmeshment and poor boundaries, and thats on us entirely. i do know that my ex was very jealous of females; i had a group of female friends that had fallen by the wayside before her, that i wanted to rekindle. i found various ways to rationalize not rekindling them without blaming my ex, but thats really all it was, and its on me.

hope this helps Smiling (click to insert in post)

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 02:21:56 AM »

problemsolver,

Good topic. A you writing a book?  Smiling (click to insert in post)

1) A lesson that I learned in my relationship with my ex wife with BPD traits is the importance of trust, reciprocity and emotional intimacy in a relationship. My needs have changed.

2) I stayed in the relationship because I was married, for better of for worst and I believe that there are good patches in life and there are bad patches in life. I often find found that the bad patches are longer than the good ones.

What I felt really disappointed with was that she would easily feel discouraged when things were difficult . I'm the opposite, I kept trying to work through the difficult stuff.

3) 10/10 I didn't have boundaries and I had become enmeshed with my ex wife and felt like I was confused, I felt very different like I didn't know who I was anymore, I was losing my sense of self, I felt depressed and emotionally exhausted.

4) My ex wife had started and affair in the marriage and when she said she was going to leave me, I lost what little trust that I had left in her. She crossed a boundary with my values, and I didn't want to take her back because I don't want the kids to get their hopes up that their family ( mom and dad ) are going to get back together, and the family is broken up again. I don't want the kids to go through that again.

5) I look at this this way, I don't think that my ex wife would have chosen to be mentally ill if she had the choice and I think that she goes through a lot of pain internally and suffers, she is the mother of my children, they have their unconditional love for mom, they don't understand that she's sick. If I were in her shoes and I was mentally ill, I would appreciate it if someone showed me compassion and understanding.

I feel compassion, but I don't want to have a relationship with her again and I try to bridge a gap for both families so the kids suffer less. I don't want my kids to have their father caught up in anger, resentment, emotionally attached and stuck in conflict with their mom. Everyone loses.

6) I believe that my ex wife sabotaged because her false self was failing, she rejected me when I triggered her fear of abandonment by saying that I wanted a divorce, she left before I would leave her.

7) Triangulation is a dual edged sword, in the relationship she often would rescue until later in the devaluation phase, I became the persecutor. After the break up, it's rare that she rescues and I'm often persecutor.

8) I think that my ex was dependent for survival and she didn't have many people that were close that she trusted, I became a co-dependent enabler, I was enmeshed, a fixer and helper in our relationship, so I didn't have a lot of spare time for others. I understand now how important it is to have healthy boundaries to take care of me.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Michelle27

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 08:21:45 AM »

1) Is it normal to be put in a 1 way relationship?  Meaning the pwBPD tries to make it an open relationship but only for them... they want to run off in dabble in a bunch of different people but expect you to just sit there and be loyal to them? This is what I experienced at a later point of course not in the beginning. . Not sure if this is BPD or just dating in 2015

My ex had at least one affair.  The one he admitted to was a year long and with a so-called "friend" of mine.  I am convinced there were more.  He did admit to coffee with another woman but claimed he called it off.  The year long affair happened during the worst of our marriage when I was dragging us around to 3 different marriage counselors and a couple's communication course because I knew something was hugely wrong. He was also accusing me of cheating on him, which I wasn't doing, and now I know it was projection.  So yes, he was allowed to do what he wanted but I of course had to stay in his corner.

2) Did you feel you deserved the devaluation stage? Is that why perhaps you put up with the abuse as long as you did? ... .(if you were mentally abused)  I don't think I ever thought I deserved it, but I think on a deeper level, I didn't think I deserved BETTER.  In my healing, I'm looking at issues from my FOO that have allowed me to get involved in not one but two abusive marriages.  The first was classic control and physical abuse, the 2nd was with a pwBPD.

3) scale of 1- 10 how mentally exhausted did your pwBPD make you feel? Did you feel he or she was an emotional vampire ? But you continued to push through?  At times, I'd say I got stuck at about 8.  Baseline was probably 3 or 4.   Not until he was out for good did I start to feel safe in my home 100% of the time.  I pushed through because I had to... .I'm a full time teacher and a Mom.

4) Are you committed to healing? Or are you secretly waiting for him/her to come back and have a change of heart?  100% committed to healing.  No way would I allow him back into my life, ever.

I had compassion and sympathy when I first discovered BPD.  But after 5 years of trying to use the tools, encouraging and supporting him to get help and being cheated on, manipulated and abused while I was there for him, I finally got to the point of no more respect, just resentments and when that stage passed, indifference.

6) Did you pwBPD show early signs of sabotage? Why do you think they sabotage?  My BPDex showed alot of early signs of this... I am unsure why she did it ... maybe she didn't want to be in the r/s? I have no idea... why do you think they sabotage early on?

Mine was unusual I think in that we got through about 5 years of no major red flags.  Things fell apart when his son from his first marriage disclosed having been sexually abused, and my h became depressed and couldn't cope with the resulting trial and then everything else.  I ended up taking care of him like a small child for years... .doing all the household chores, all the parenting, all the work with his son's trial, etc. as he could barely cope with going to work.

Not really... .unless you count the mysterious women I am sure he had affairs with.  I did discover at one point that he told his family that I sat on my butt while he did all the household chores for years.  I was horrified and made him call a family member and fix it.

8) Do you feel after a certain point your pwBPD started to ruin your life ... example... social group of friends or career etc.  In part.  If I had stayed, I think I would have lost my mind and wouldn't have been able to cope well with my career.  He has been using former mutual friends the past few months to spy on me and report to him while garnering sympathy over the end of our marriage.  I guess they are acting in the triangulation as the rescuer.  I don't care much... .I don't need people like that in my life.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest