Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 14, 2024, 05:08:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the power of self reflection  (Read 349 times)
woofhound

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: October 11, 2014, 07:23:36 PM »

I made a mask over the course of my whole life. With each new experience I hid more deeply behind it. Eventually, I thought I was the mask. I believed it was me and I it. I wore the mask of a hero, and I wanted to save her... .I wanted to save her from herself. I failed. I began searching for answers. Through time I began to find them. Still though, I couldn't see clearly for my mask had gotten very large. I knew that if I took off my mask I could see the truth, but I was afraid.

Time passed. Lessons were not learned, for, I found that I already knew the answers but had chosen not to acknowledge them. Eventually, and with much fear, I took off the mask. What did I see?

I saw that much of the fault was mine. I needed her. I needed someone to save. I needed someone to save so that I didn't have to save myself.

The first step to healing is to acknowledge your own mask; your own guilt. Only through admission of our mistakes can we begin to learn not to repeat ourselves and forever perpetuate our own misery at the fault of our own hands.

I was choosing to let her control me. It was my fault as much as hers... .

I love you all,

The Woofhound

Pingo

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 07:54:08 PM »

I saw that much of the fault was mine. I needed her. I needed someone to save. I needed someone to save so that I didn't have to save myself.

I can totally relate to this woofhound, and with the demise of my r/s I feel like the mask has been ripped off and I am totally exposed.  I realise that I have numbed myself for my entire adult life with many protective defenses and now I am aware and exhausted.  Time to heal old wounds and forgive ourselves for what we did to 'survive'.
woofhound

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 02:16:08 PM »

The funny thing is; once you realize your true nature there is a moment of total disgust, but its followed by a wave of relief. In seeing ourselves we instinctively begin healing.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest