Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 14, 2024, 01:51:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The breakup conversation (transcribed)  (Read 492 times)
Gonzalo

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2015, 05:30:34 PM »

I love this. It's a perfect summary. I'd just add that if you get it all right, you're damned for being so "saintly" or trying to look good next to the pwBPD.

It is exhausting being with someone who acts like this and who has all of these needs.

I'm sure I could think of more, like you couldn't explain why you react. If you offer an explanation, that's being defensive. If you bring up an example of her bad behavior, you're making a big deal out of something that only happened once. If you say that it's a pattern, you're engaging in all or nothing catastrophic thinking. If you give multiple examples, then you're holding onto bad things to ambush her with.

I think the thing that really wore me out wasn't just the complex set of needs, but the sinking realization that there never was an answer. For the longest time I kept thinking if I could just figure it out then we could sort things out, and stayed in denial of the obvious fact that it's all a catch-22. The fact that I was able to keep myself in denial of simple reality for so long is one of the things I'm working on fixing now.
poedameron

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2015, 10:28:55 PM »

Yes besides being BPD she is also probably some other things... .I mean she really was/is a nutcase... .but a high functioning one at that... .she is soo good at sucking people in at the start it is impossible to talk to them about the "real" her... .

... .right after this fight, her new "best friend" came over to our apartment and didn't even acknowledge me, hugged her for like 2 minutes straight asking if she was OK, etc... .and my exBPDgf is just playing the helpless child victim, just eating it up... .right in front of me.

I was half expecting her to look over and smile at me while she was doing it... .

And yeah, I also wonder how in the hell I put up with this for so long... .I know I thought I could fix it/her too... .and I thought if I could only figure out the thing that's causing her to do this... .but of course, that can't be fixed.  She's doomed and I feel sorry for her now.
ogopogodude
^

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2017, 05:01:35 PM »

Meds don't typically work for BPD afflicted individuals. 

It is NOT like bipolar disorder, whereby certain meds do, in fact, work.   BPD and bipolar disorder certainly gets interchanged by the average person but I always clearly state that they are not even close to being the same. 

But this mental disorder really can only be handled by therapy / counselling on a regular basis and only if the BPD person commits to this, ... .otherwise, ... the chaos continues (and could even worsen).

One has to keep in mind that most of us here, ... even YOU reading this, ... .is an expert on BPD.  The majority of physicians and therapists do not know of the ramifications of BPD. They just don't.  WE LIVE IT EVERYday, ... .thus, ... this makes us experts.  We all have to dance around what we really want to say, ... .but we know we cannot due to creating a "flare-up" of our loved one, ... .etc.

This is why the book Walking on Eggshells by Randi Kreger has done so well.  The title says it all.  Doesn't it?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest