Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 06:49:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else feel sad watching the Olympics?  (Read 1062 times)
newfreedom

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 19, 2010, 04:33:18 PM »

Hi friends,

Was anyone out there as moved as I was watching Lindsay Vonn?   When she crossed the finish line after her first program for which she won the gold, I sobbed with her.    Her toughness, authenticity, ability to be vulnerable, amazing qualities for such a young woman.    And then the shot of her talking with her beloved husband at the end of that race was priceless.    And her whole foo was there to support her.   They all seem so normal.    Her brother had shaved L.V. into his head in support of her.   

My tears were a lot about why can't all of us have supportive families like hers?   I was genuinely happy for her but so saddened by the realization that I never got that.  I mean, of course I don't know her foo but Lindsay 's confidence and comfort in her own skin speaks volumes about the type of childhood she must have had.   

Anything that brought me happiness was seen as a threat to mother so instead of support, I was made to feel responsible for making the whole family miserable.   

And then there is Johnny Wier, my favorite skater.   He is so authentic and true to himself.    The announcer shared that Johnny's mom always taught him to be himself...imagine that?
Greeneyed Girl
a.k.a. Cherry Sky

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 07:18:11 PM »

Hi New Freedom,

Yes, I felt sad watching ( or trying to watch while waiting on Mother) the Olympics.  I always have.  As a teen I felt very keenly the difference in the athlete's families and my own, or what seemed to be a difference, and I remember thinking how many of these people ( figure skaters especially ) were also teens and great success stories where as I, as Mother would remind me while viewing, was a failure.  But there is hope in the Olympics as well.  We, too, can overcome like Lindsey Vonn and all the others through Olympic history who came from behind to come out in front in so many, many ways. Hang in there, my friend.  We "shall overcome," as that wonderful anthem says, "someday."

P.S. Mother mocks Johnny.
PT

Relationship status: Married to a terrific husband!

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 12:24:52 PM »

Yes, I feel sad anytime I see people with family...I wish I had family to visit and visit me.  It is hard having no family but your spouse --- even if your spouse is terrific like mine...you just feel so out of place and odd...it is tough.  Anything triggers sadness for me, the Olympics, a movie, anything.  It just isn't fixable and that is the tough part.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest