Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 12:17:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Poll
Question: What is your main "wants and needs" style? See definitions in 1st post.  Select all that apply.
Too Dependent - 7 (4.3%)
Antidependent - 61 (37.4%)
Needless and Wantless - 28 (17.2%)
Confused between Needs and Wants - 31 (19%)
Aware and Appropriate - 36 (22.1%)
Total Voters: 121

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SELF ASSESSMENT | Are you in touch with your needs and wants?  (Read 10168 times)
blackandwhite
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married

« on: July 10, 2010, 03:38:24 PM »

Are you able to acknowledge and meet your wants and needs? Take the poll and add a comment on your predominant "wants and needs" style (see the list below):

• What style(s) do you usually display, too dependent, antidependent, needless/wantless, confused, aware/appropriate, or a mix?

• What are some examples of your style?

• What are you doing to improve your style, if it's not ideal?

Want and Needs Styles

1. Too Dependent. I know my needs or wants but expect other people to take care of them for me, and I wait, expecting them to know to do so as I do not take care of them myself.

2. Antidependent. I am able to acknowledge to myself that I have needs and wants, but I try to meet them myself and am unable to accept help or guidance from anyone else. I'd rather go without the thing needed or wanted than be vulnerable and ask for help.

3. Needless and Wantless. Although I have needs or wants, I am not aware of them.

4. Confused between Needs and Wants. I know what I want and I get it, but I don't know what I need. For example, I try to take care of my needs that I'm unaware of by buying everything I want. Though I may need physical nurturing, I buy some new clothes instead.

5. Aware of and Able to Act Appropriately on Needs and Wants. I am aware of my needs and wants and am able to act in an appropriate way to meet them, either independently or through healthy, mutual relationships.

6. Mixed. Any combination of the others.
    See list of all self-assessment surveys
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:47:55 PM by Harri » Logged

What they call you is one thing.
    What you answer to is something else. ~ Lucille Clifton
    T2H
    Retired Staff

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 04:25:32 PM »

I was going to pick 3 but I'm not sure that's exactly accurate.  I don't seem to have very many wants that I can identify at the moment (working on it).  I know what my needs are (more or less) - but I've recently switched to meeting most of them myself rather than getting them from others (not ALL of them, mind you ).

I actually started a related thread on this on another dating advice forum a long time ago - about how I know quite a few people who are very smart, reasonably healthy, etc - and claimed they knew what they wanted - and got that for the most part in the person they married - but are now getting divorced.  My question was... . do we ever really know what we want, until after we get it? (and then sometimes realize that's not what we really wanted)

For me, I'm doing the inner work to move from codependent/people-pleaser/"nice guy" to finding myself, identifying my likes/dislikes, discovering my strengths/weaknesses, etc.

MagentaOrchid

Relationship status: Married 10 years

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 05:50:33 PM »

I am a mix. 

#1.  I NEVER expect people to do things for me.  Well ok, I expect the housekeeper to clean for me.  That's about it. 

#2 alot.  Its gotten me into trouble.  It is something I have REALLY been working on.  Asking for help and then taking it, HUGE deal for me.  I am pretty proud of how far I have come actually.  This came in a huge revelation with regards to a very bad weight problem I had.  I was the queen of "I can do it myself".  But once I started asking people for help and actually taking it, I changed my entire life!  And I lost over an entire person and I am fit and healthy now. 

#3 My mom is like this, but not really me

#4 Yes!  This is an issue.  It is hard for me to figure out what is a need and what is a want.  Sometimes VERY hard

#5 I am getting more and more like this every day.
    skinny13

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 05:51:53 PM »

I'm still a bit closer to 2 - Antidependent - but thanks to growing up, therapy, and the influences of other mentally healthy people, I'm definitely working my way towards 5.

In the past I've definitely been, if anything, too independent - afraid of commitment and afraid to ask anything of anyone or to put my own needs on a level with everyone else's. If I needed anything, I either took care of it myself or pushed it to the side and determined I didn't need it after all. I put everyone else's needs first.

My therapist once remarked that growing up in my house with my mom (uBPD, although my T has been careful not to inappropriately diagnose her she does say my mom definitely has some pd based on everything I've said), there "wasn't any room" for my feelings or the feelings of anyone else in the family except my mother. I think because of that, I trained myself or was trained to need or ask for less than what I needed.

adrift2

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 07:01:31 PM »

Age has a lot to do with it for me. 20 years ago I would have said #2, I was too stressed out being a young wife, Mother and a selfish, ungrateful manipulative daughter to a witch UBPD Mother to have made any time for myself. Now that I am LC with Mother, kids are semi adults, DH and I have made peace with all the  cohabitational matters I make time for myself.
    Cordelia
    formerly salome

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 08:28:36 PM »

Very much a #2 when it comes to practical things in life.  A #3, I'm realizing, when it comes to emotional things.  Or even a #1.  I've realized that for many years I was waiting for my mom to fix our relationship, when that's never going to happen.  I didn't realize that I was waiting for that, though, due to my general tendency to be out of touch with my emotional life. 

As far as steps toward improving these things, I'm starting to realize that I'm part of a community, in which bonds are built both by giving and receiving love and care.  For the longest time I thought that receiving care would mean being hated or despised by the person doing the helping (that was the model in my family, caretaking was served up with a generous side of contempt), but I've found that's not true for most people, particularly those who have, on their own initiative, offered to do me some service.  So it's getting easier to accept offers of help.  And I'm working on becoming more aware of my emotional life by checking in regularly with my inner child, and making an effort to take my emotional needs into consideration.  Little by little... .!
    neverenz

Relationship status: single 14yrs

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 08:48:13 PM »

Im #1#2and#3 i guess that makes me #6.

I think it comes down to the abuse inflicted by exNPD. I was of no consequence, my needs or wants were never satisfied and if i even looked like i wanted something i was made out to be the most selfish person on the planet.

I still feel selfish or maybe the word is undeserving,  although i do take care of my kids needs and wants completely. When i am not coping i go into shut down. my family recognise the need for intervention and go into full swing. Im either too proud or too scared of looking needy to ask. I just cant bring myself to say"HELP" I think that i dont have the luxury of breaking down because i have 3 kids and a GD that i have to care for. My d18 has BPD too so that has distracted me from me.

I am working toward #5 and with the help here i will succeed!

neverenz
    C12P21

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 08:11:26 PM »

I am a #6... .it's always a combo plate when asking for what I want or need... .it depends on what it is I am in need or want of at the time.

C
    Lemlover

Relationship status: married

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 10:30:18 PM »

I fluctuate between #2 and #5, so #6. Often when I ask for help, don't get it--Perhaps, I ask those who cannot help me?
    clean slate

Relationship status: married just over three years; living apart nearly five months

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 10:44:40 PM »

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I truly think I'm both #1 and #2 but in reverse order.

2. Antidependent. I am able to acknowledge to myself that I have needs and wants, but I try to meet them myself and am unable to accept help or guidance from anyone else. I'd rather go without the thing needed or wanted than be vulnerable and ask for help.

1. Too Dependent. I know my needs or wants but expect other people to take care of them for me, and I wait, expecting them to know to do so as I do not take care of them myself.

I've been used to being #2 for the majority of my life.  I'm the go-to person.  A regional VP of a company actually wrote that on a recommendation letter about me!  And I have always been the go-to person in my family.  Now that I think of it, I've been that way with my friends as well.  But in my family, it's excessive.  I recently shared this feeling with my mother and she remarked that I sound resentful about it... .and that she would be if she were me.  I'm not sure I feel entirely resentful because afterall, I did put myself in that position with my family, or at least kept myself in that position.  But I'm learning to change that.  And at times, can then be #1.

I think I was very much #1 with my uBPDh.  I think I was this way because I was tired of being #2 all the time and he took control (obvious it was the bad kind of control) and he allowed me (forced me) to be weak.  I believe that a part of me enjoyed that in the beginning because someone else could take the lead for a while.  Bad decision.

Both of these are too polarizing.  I'm working on finding middle ground.  Just look at my tagline!
    Colombian Chick

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
    Relationship status: In a committed and loving relationship.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 12:38:43 AM »

A few years back I would have said I was a #2, but as I've matured, worked on myself, and through life experiences I have been able to work my way to a #5.

When it comes to family of origin there are times when I fall back at #2, but not by choice. Because I've been so Anti-dependent I still struggle with my family members wanting/expecting me to fix/help everyone and to basically not ask for any help, to take it all, and not complain. But through some tough love they've had to come to a realization that things have changed.

In intimate relationships I am at a #5 as well. I am pretty independent but I ask for help if it's needed and I also communicate my needs, wants, and limits to my SO. I also try to be as fair as possible, if my partner expresses his need/want or concern/issue, I listen to his side without judgment and I try my best to explain my side, as well as show my partner that I have listened/understood his side and that I empathize. I am a lot more aware of myself than ever before. To the point that I can explain to my partner what issue I have and what can be the cause of it.Sometimes I go as far as understanding where it is surfacing from, the root cause, and even if it's something physical.

I still struggle sometimes, I am not perfect, I am only human, and that's OK. All I can do is learn and work on myself.
    Sadie14

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »

I'm needless and wantless.

I've never known a life, where my needs were ever considered. Ever. Hence, I have trouble even being aware of them. I suppose they're in there somewhere, but I rarely drag them out of my mental closet and look at them.

In fact, I have several friends... .and all of them need me. They call ME for advice. They look to ME, for comfort. They ask Me for my potato salad recipe. (Okay, maybe not the last one; just checking to see if you're really reading.  Smiling (click to insert in post))

Seriously, even my husband (as much as I love him) takes more than he gives... .which is fine with me. It works. I wouldn't know how to act, if he didn't lean on me.

ShieldsUp12

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 05:11:59 PM »

I am mixed. I think I lean towards #2, anti-dependent. I am trying to work on it though, because I realize this is not a great way to live. I also think #2 requires a lot of "surrendering", meaning that if you ask for help, you have to accept the kind of help you are going to get, and not demand it being done all your way, which is admittedly tough for me. For example, if someone cleans the bathroom, I have a habit of going back over the work to "touch up" certain areas. I have to learn to leave that alone. It makes the other person who helped feel like cr*p, and it defeats the purpose of getting the help in the first place.

I understand why I want to do everything on my own and not want help (obligation issues from childhood), but I don't quite get the perfectionist thing where I would go over and re-do someone else's work.

?
    Jaybird

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 10:41:05 AM »

I am # 6 (mixed) because I see myself in #2 antidependant and #5.  After years of realizing that my H is not in a position to follow through or sometimes respect my needs/wants I have learned to "stuff" them, take care of them myself, or find fulfillment outside of my marriage.  While I never expected my spouse to satisfy all my needs it is has been a process of letting go and grieving the reality that he is unable to be the partner I thought I married.  I realized I am in charge of my own needs/wants and give myself permission to satisfy them more often.
    Althea

Relationship status: married 7 years

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 02:11:33 PM »

Needless and wantless.  I have an uBPDh, a 3 year old boy, a 1 year old boy and a 100 pound, geriatric dog.  Oh, and a demanding career.  I'm flying through each day and can not remember the last time I wore my silky, long hair down and bothered to put on eye make up, or any kind of make up.   
    Fathom

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 02:19:45 PM »

Needless and wantless.  I have an uBPDh, a 3 year old boy, a 1 year old boy and a 100 pound, geriatric dog.  Oh, and a demanding career.  I'm flying through each day and can not remember the last time I wore my silky, long hair down and bothered to put on eye make up, or any kind of make up.   

One can only do this for so long without loosing yourself. This is how many of us ended up in these situations in the first place. Althea, you have importance and worth as a wife, mother, friend and individual. Don't ever discount or fore sake these things by short changing your needs (and wants) for the others. We all need to take the time and invest in ourselves first and above all else. And this doesn't me we do this as the expense of others.

(Nice to see you Althea!)
    peacebaby

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
    Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
    Relationship status: Single

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 02:20:39 PM »

I'm finding these categories quite helpful in thinking about this issue, one I've been aware of for a long time and am still working on.

I'm a combo of dependent, anti-dependent, and some healthy thrown in!

Excerpt
    I know my needs or wants but expect other people to take care of them for me, and I wait, expecting them to know to do so as I do not take care of them myself.

This goes back to the whole idea that the way I feel is the responsibility of those close to me, and the way they feel is my responsibility. Odd how hard it is for me to get that we're all responsible for our own emotions. Very classic BPD kinda thing, and it really fVcked with my DBPDSO at the start of our relationship. Smiling (click to insert in post)

Fathom

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 02:32:53 PM »

... .the whole idea that the way I feel is the responsibility of those close to me,.

I am always amazed how my BPDw is so deeply and emotionally affected (in a negative way) by other's actions or words, especially that of strangers. It is as if she is powerless to make a conscious choice not to be affected by them. Every time I suggest that it is only by choice if we allow someone to emotionally affect us I get this utterly confused look and usually a comment referring to Spock, autism or the like.

Now, if only I could perform the 'mind-meld'!
    qcarolr
    Distinguished Member

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
    Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 04:11:48 PM »

I think I am a pretty mixed bag - even trying to put myself in a type has me confused. I think I know what i want and need, and I do my best to get whatever it is without taking anything away from those around me and feel really bad if I believe I have taken care of myself at someone else's expense. This is really most apparent in the splitting up of my time. And I have a lot of power in my family, and am not really sure why I get that dependence on me and am very resentful of having to be so aware of what everyone else needs at any moment and feeling like I have to figure out the balance for everyone in my little family. I used to do this for my large extended family ( 6 siblings), but have become quite isolated from them as dealing with dBPDD24 has isolated us from most of my family that that either can't watch the painful show, or believes they are helping me be less enabling by no longer being available to help.

Not sure where I am at in dealing with this mess right now - but sure am hoping to find a path to a healthier place for myself in life. Seems all the startegies, reading, therapy, etc. is just leaving me with an overwhelming amount of data to process with not much results.

Think I have a lot of work to do.

qcr

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
    lbjnltx
    Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 04:32:06 PM »

i'm a #5

i work hard at knowing/acknowledging and meeting the needs of those i love in a healthy way... .so i expect the same in return.  i don't have too many needs that i can't meet for myself or through prayer but when i voice a healthy need or make a request for a "want" i expect them to be met.  i deserve to  have my needs met.

lbjnltx

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
    americanbelle

Relationship status: Married 10 years

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 04:38:54 PM »

I'm a #5.  I know my needs and wants and usually find a way to fulfill them.  Some wants can't be taken care of at this point of my life, but I can wait.  Most people are aware of what I need or want from them because I am a talker.
    DeityorDevil

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
    Relationship status: Living with non-disordered partner (34), house mate (27)

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 01:50:30 PM »

#6, by virtue of being a combination of #1, #2, and #3. I've done a lot of work toward identifying "needs" so that I can function, more or less. I still forget those things sometimes, and fall back on being needless and wantless; because that is how I spent most of my life. To the point of forgoing extremely basic needs (like food and shelter) because I didn't think I needed those things. Or finding things that maybe should have been "wants" and getting them very tangled up with "needs." But, yes, initially very needless and wantless. For a very long time, I didn't really consider "wants" at all, and rationalized that if I didn't absolutely need something, then I didn't want it either. I still struggle a lot with this.

I think that initially, starting therapy/recovery I wanted to be antidependent and manage everything for myself; because then I wouldn't have to "need" anyone else. Unfortunately, broken thinking can't fix broken thinking and I crashed and burned pretty hard trying to do that. I would still like to see myself as "I'll take care of everything myself, including everyone else, so there!" but I don't think that is really- reality. For me anyway.

Starting a relationship, he and I went back and forth with dependency things. Fortunately, he's a very patient person with lots of practice with boundaries from his own family issues. I think I'm more likely to rely on someone else for "needs" if, anything. I have trouble asking anyone for something I might just "want," and get confused again that if I don't really absolutely need something from them, then I don't want it from them, so I don't say anything. Thankfully, there are people in my life that encourage me to "use my words" and not just be a reclusive weirdo.

selfishshellfish

Relationship status: Married since 1992

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 04:33:18 PM »

I am antidependent but working hard on asking for any help I need and want.

I have run into a surprising challenge with this; it's been strangely tricky for me to ask in an appropriate way. Take today, for example. I have a broken foot at the moment and at one point when I was out shopping this afternoon I very much needed to sit down. My foot was hurting badly but it was tough for me to stress the magnitude of my need to the people I was with. One to practice, I guess.
    wanderlust

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »

I am antidependent working toward moderation. Growing  up the way I did there was no concern for my needs and if I did express a need it was a weakness to be used against me or even withheld.

My husband teases me because he will offer to do something for me and I'll tell him, "Oh I'll do it." He then proceeds to tell me, "Look I am offereing just let me do whatever, I WANT to do this, Okay?" After 12 years now I still catch myself every now and then, but I'm slowly releasing these ingrained survival instincts gone wrong, and it feels  Smiling (click to insert in post)!   
    MyNascence
    Formerly "IzzyTheTerrible"

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 06:10:06 AM »

I feel that I am too antidependent to answer otherwise.  Although my husband and I are working towards a more healthy moderation. Smiling (click to insert in post)
    ellejayswan

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 10:09:29 AM »

Gaining more understanding about wants and needs or wants versus needs.   I studied Maslow's HIERARCHY of needs when I was at university many years ago... It still remains a good indication of my needs. Those are fairly reasonable to me.  Although, wanting my spiritual wants and needs met takes quite a bit of extra effort on my part at this time I'm doing a good balancing between mind, body and spirit.  My physical health needs are usually what gets my attention first and knowing I can not put them off or consequences would not be beneficial... it does make a difference at what motivates me to keep this balance going.  Health needs always take the precedent.    Still reflecting on this topic  when it comes to inter personal needs in relationships... .I want to improve at asking for what I need instead of feeling less confident at times.   It is still difficult for me to have a mother who is BPD and interact with her without having anxiety.   Always in the process of becoming who I meant to be... MYSELF.
    Clearmind
    Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 07:23:13 PM »

What style(s) do you usually display, too dependent, antidependent, needless/wantless, confused, aware/appropriate, or a mix?

My style is very mixed. Sometimes I am antidependent and was this more so when my parents separated when I was about 17. I had this very clear thought that my parents are no together, they were hurting and I no longer had a family unit to rely on - not that I could rely on them to begin with. So I took on a "strong" facade - I can look after myself and all I have to rely on is me - that way I can avoid being hurt.

Now after realising my pattern of r/s - all NPD, BPD or OCD (or mixed - oo that all sounds so scary) - I clearly have no clue about my own personal needs or wants, otherwise I would have bolted for the barn well before I was emotionally invested. This is a hard pattern to break. I am used to emotionally turbulent r/s - this is testament to my childhood and alcoholic parent. I was NOT permitted to have needs or wants - instead I was expected to placate my father so my mother did not cop more abuse. Silent child syndrome. I am still silent at the age of 38.

I know what my needs/wants are somewhat - in the sense I dont realise them at the time - I realise them when I get that gut churning unsettling feeling - again too late. I head into r/s with a free for all spirit. Surrender to the cosmos instead of choosing my partners they choose me. The BPD overstepped many boundaries and I would buck up but it was all too late. One boundary I know I have is cheating - I told him that - funnily enough that is what he used to sabotage the r/s.

What are some examples of your style?

I find this one hard to answer - maybe I am not at the recognition stage yet. I can be somewhat passive agressive when I know my boundaries are crossed - I am what they call counterphobic. I dont voice my boundaries, sit on them which causes increasing pain, discomfort and resentment. Then I explode and kick them to the curb. While being counterphobic helped me kick the BPD out - I can do it prematurely with others.

I procrasinate in setting a boundary - time goes on - then it gets even more difficult.

What are you doing to improve your style, if it's not ideal?

I am listening to my body and what it is telling me. My T is always asking me to slow down and think and feel. This is all new to me. Feelings was something I had avoided, ignored. Once I slow down and feel - my intuition kicks in. I know there is something i need to act on. Interestingly I also ignore that gut churning feeling the whole time I was the BPDex.

I try to set my boundaries firmly and calmly - however at this stage of my healing process I still find I am a little counterphobic and procrasinate but I am getting better at it. Its a tiring process because listening to my intution is so foreign I am learning to trust it - but its a full time job right now.

qcarolr
    Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 11:36:57 PM »

I think right now I am a 'mixed' - mixed up that is. I am both 'dependent' and 'antidependent'. I step back and wait for someone else to take care of something, then it doesn't get done so I end up doing it with lots of resentment and anger. Yet I want to be very in control of how EVERYTHING is done. The past couple of weeks I have been kind of explosive around my house - who has BPD?  I need to truly let go of some things and allow others in my household to mange these 100% - resist that urge to go back to do it over to my standards or criticize how it was done. Need to just be joyful it was done. Smiling (click to insert in post)

A friend today asked me who was important to me, in order of importance. I said, myself-gd6-hd-dd25. THen she asked - what about the 2 puppies driving me to distraction? Well, tho the dogs seem to really love me I could easily do without them. So she asked why am I the one doing so much to take care of them. Let the family members that chose to get them do the taking care of. And guess what - DD took her 54lb. pup with her to the park to spend the night with her homeless friends, and Dh is taking the 8lb. pup out tonight. So I am left with more energy to care for gd6, who has a sore throat and sore stitches from the little puppy bite on her face. And since she is starting to cry in bed, guess my time at bpdfamily.com is done for tonight.

qcr xoxo

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
    CinnamonRadio

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 10:30:40 PM »

I am 26, only daughter of a single pbdmom with a Queen/Waif duplicitous personality.

Through work with my current t, as well as general interaction in the family of my husband (which has only normal dysfunction- no pd), I am learning normal ways that people express needs and wants.  The hardest part has been identifying my wants.  I never had an option growing up; what I wanted was totally irrelevant.  I also tend to overestimate the wants vs. the needs.  By that I mean, I tend to think that getting more than one pair of shoes at a time is a *want*, because I only ever had one pair of shoes.  I thought that getting more than one toothbrush a year was a *want*, until I learned that people are supposed to change them more often.  I also grew up thinking that buying too many types of household cleaners was a *want*.  Anything can look nice with a bit of Windex.  Now I understand that for hygiene reasons, you need things with bleach in them.  I just didn't know that before, because it was not an option.

Also, simple questions such as ":)o you like purple more than blue?" take a lot of concentration on my part.  I really have to first think about the fact that this question is actually being asked of me (otherwise I might say, "Well blue is nice on some people, but others look better in purple" or some other evasive answer), and also about what my opinion is on this subject, since I seem to lack the ability to automatically judge things, like other people do.  It seems to me that when my husband sees two things (say, a purple shirt, and a blue shirt), he instantly decides which one he likes more.  I just don't do that.  I had a difficult time in my first few years of university, because I kept having to express an opinion, and I normally don't actually form an opinion on anything at all.  I think my upbringing was such that in order to avoid getting raged at, or made fun of, I never expressed (and therefore never formed) opinions as a child.  My default is to figure out what the other person wants, and just agree to that.  I'm learning now that figuring out my own wants helps other people be a LOT less confused, and my relationship with my husband is much better for it.  Plus, I found out, I really like purple!

Of course, the more I declare my own wants and needs, the more strained my relationship with bpmom is :/  It feels like a loose-loose situation sometimes, but at least now I can make decisions.  I also feel like it is another step in freeing myself from my bpmom's control.  I don't have to like what she likes.  I can buy all the damn toothbrushes I want.  I can even have two at once if I want to.  It feels pretty awesome Smiling (click to insert in post)
    diotima

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 10:50:26 PM »

Hmmm, I learned early on that I could not be a 1, although when I was younger I tried. Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) That didn't work so I became 2 as a way of correcting for 1. That wasn't satisfying, but I didn't become 3. Often during my life I was confused about needs and wants (4), but I didn't take my BPD back so I guess what I needed trumped what I wanted. Working toward 5, but am 6.

Diotima
    Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
    CLINICAL INFORMATION
    The Big Picture
    5 Dimensions of Personality
    BPD? How can I know?
    Get Someone into Therapy
    Treatment of BPD
    Full Clinical Definition