Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 10:42:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help me get this straight please...  (Read 405 times)
strongbutwobbly

« on: August 14, 2010, 03:49:25 PM »

SO THIS IS MY STORY from the newbie board... .

Hello all,

Well my situation... .I am 43 my husband is 47 and has been diagnosed with various issues being Bipolar, psychotic paranoia and jealousy  but due to his abusive childhood by his mother we both suspect he is Borderline rather than Bipolar (and after trying many Bipolar meds which didnt help at all!) He has had a suicide attempt at 19 because he felt lost and afraid of life as he felt it hurt him deeply, the emotional roller coaster. His most recent suicide attempt (march 2010)he only just survived was for the same reason, he explained he is just so tired and life was just so hard for him to cope with. He has issues with paranoia and jealousy and uncontrollable rages.  His Mother was terribly abusive to all 4 (yes 4 !) of her children and their Father who she regularly beat up. She was sectioned herself a few times. He has terrible flash backs and the feelings these bring up make him physically shake and vomit. (Such as footsteps across the ceiling reminds him of his Mother coming to tell them off for disturbing her) 

I have known him about  6 years now. Our relationship started as deep friends, so close. then our marriages broke down and we stayed friends until we told each other how we felt and it went from there, got married.  (mine was violent, his wife ran off with a rich bloke!)  I felt amazing, loved, sexy, the whole lot, like he finally understood me -  it took a few weeks and then reality kicked in... .I found a noose in the loft. My blood ran cold. He said he wanted me to find it so I could know how ill he was. But by this time I was stuck I had moved us all in, given up my home, had no money etc... .

I was so gutted. He says now any time he is ill, he warned me... .!  I then got sucked into trying to help him, got him to see a psychiatrist and all that. All the time he would get these uncontrollable rages about things which I couldnt see would bother anyone. And so jealous, he would spend lots of time trying to find if I was looking for cybersex, he even installed a keystroke logger. He would check my phone etc. If I ever went out of the house he would text me. He also has a back problem so was out of work after about 6 months of me being there, not good. I registered as his carer and thought we would see. I found the detachment very difficult to cope with and I got so sucked into his world I could not see the reality anymore.

But a few days ago he had another of his uncontrolable rages after a few words between us, didnt think it was anything major. I went out as I had to pick up my daughter and he was getting in a taxi with some of his stuff. ... .   my first thought. RELIEF!

So we are currently apart for the past few days. When he gets like this he goes to his cave (blacked out bedroom) and takes lots of sleeping tablets and keeps himself like that for days. This he has been doing at his mothers house (yes, his abuser?)

I cannot let him back. I know I have to keep him away.

I find myself texting him I love him and hope he is ok... .I am really scared he will kill himself to be honest. I know he wants to, he has spoken of it all the time, daily really. I am afraid to be positive and end this for sure so I am treading carefully with it but I know for my own sanity I need to be strong. He is very ill but he has decided theres nothing to be done with him. He is a mess inside, it must be awful. I understand quite well how he feels as we have talked non stop about it... .I understand his reasons for wanting to die we have discussed it so often. I totally empathise on an unemotional level with his reasons for this. He wont get help or counselling.

I have to be strong... .but I am a bit wobbly!

xxx

NOW TODAY - well, yesterday he begged me to keep texting him as it helps him so much, he is bereft. Now today he has hardly txt me at all. I sent him a few early on, he replied with a have a good day bye for now kind of brush off, bit strange. Now he is baffled as I ask him why he has asked me to text then ignored the ones I send him? He has his daughter today but even so... .In his head we are only 'on a break' so you would think he would make a bit more effort but he just doesnt understand why this is confusing me... .aaaargh he is messing with my head and heart again... .help me see sense!
kly

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Divorced. Briefly dated a pwBPD who turned into a stalker.

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 04:24:44 PM »

((strongbutwobbly))

I can hardly imagine the glut of emotions you are dealing with right now--fear that he will harm himself, confusion, relief, guilt... .

First of all, I'm sorry for your husband's pain, the uncertainty and high stress in your life, the whole mess.

You seem to have a detached perspective--you have a strong sense of survival.  Even through everything your husband has done, you maintain sympathy for him while recognizing that he's a toxic presence.

Your husband is no less ill than someone with a malignant brain tumor.  And you are no more equiped to treat him for one than the other.  He needs help.  A LOT of help. He needs someone who specializes in these tough disorders, and they're a rare breed. 

In the meantime,  x  x    lots of hugs.  Do what is necessary to preserve your life and health.  Look after  your children.  I hope your H can get the help he needs.
eeyore

Relationship status: in a relationship

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »

Welcome

I'm glad that you have found us here.  We have many member who are very understanding.  It's so difficult to deal with what you are dealing with.  :)o you see a T to help you with your feelings?

strongbutwobbly

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 05:00:37 PM »

I tried to get therapy but they dont quite know what to do with me to be honest. I started seeking a therapist for helping me with constant 24/7 anxiety I had.  THen he left me this last time and now they are not sure what to do with me... .I dont know. ANd it is costly and I cant do it financially as I ahev been his carer for 2 years plus.

So I hope I can find enough support here to help.  The UK is rubbish on mental health, it is the lowest priority so any therapy is by volunteers through the charitys.

I havent gone NC yet but I know I need to but I know that will start a whole new nightmare as he got cautioned for stalking his ex-wife and threatening to kill her. I am waiting for him to go NC with me I suppose, as my Doc advised would be safest.  I am a bit stuck as I am unemployed so cant move house. I am in the marital home, he has moved to his Mothers which cannot be permanent. I dont understand why he always runs to her, she abused the whole family for so many years... .

I am a mess now but determined he wont ruin me any more.

He wont.

I wILL come out of this better and stronger, or what was the point... .

x

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 05:01:42 PM »

Welcome Welcome to the Board. I'm going to give you my two cents- but please understand that everything I write is based on my own perception. Yours may be different.

Paranoia and Borderline personality disorder combine into Hermit Borderline. Hermit's are usually second generation (or more) because of Witch Mothers. Witch Mothers are abusive, erratic, dramatic and generally out of control. Because of this, her child becomes traumatized. As the child grows into an adult, there is no safety and security except in hiding, so the frequent bouts of post trauma stress have created a barrier at developing the self and getting on and out in the World. Eventually, the young adult turns into a Hermit and rarely feels comfort at mingling with the rest of Humanity. Instead, it's Paranoia he feels.

Hermits will want to feel walled-in and safe from predators (which he believes his Mother is.) According to Christine Lawson, "they retreat into the blackness that threatens to consume them." Hermits are terrified of not having control- and suicide is the ultimate form of control to them. They feel robbed and violated as children- and live in fear of domination as well as desertion.

"The Hermit is a perfectionist, a worrier, and like most Borderlines, an insomniac. Their anxieties can keep them awake at night" (Lawson pg.80) IMO, this is generally the basis for the incorrect diagnosis of Bi-polar.

Gerald Adler (1985) explains that borderlines constantly seek out others to provide a sense of self, to "keep separation anxiety in check and to avoid annihilation panic."  Hermits want to be left alone, not abandoned, just not bothered. Their inner experience is persecution. Hermits expect to lose what they need; consequently, they are possessive and controlling. They can also punish those they loved by shutting them out. When angry, they confront family members with a stony wall of silence. They are also intensely jealous and can accuse their spouses of infidelity despite having no evidence to support their beliefs. They may also be superstitious and overreact to pain and illness.

The worst trait of a Hermit is to evoke guilt and anxiety in others. This is used to control and project anxiety.  Hermits will become their own worst enemies and the greatest threat to their *own* survival. They may grow weary of feeling constantly threatened and decide that dying, paradoxically, is their ultimate act of protection against the dangers of living.

What to do?

1) Reevaluate rather than react to the Hermit's fear. Anxiety is contagious while living with a fearful, paranoid Hermit. You must learn to rely on your own perception, intuition and judgment.

2) He can't give you something that he doesn't have- namely peace of mind.  A Hermit cannot provide you with emotional support. The Hermit will catastrophize insignificant events and make mountains out of molehills. Do not let him undermine your self confidence.

3) Panic prevents a Hermit from thinking clearly. This is a subset of PTSD and has nothing to do with you. Believe in yourself and your basic goodness.

4) Expect rejection to follow closeness. Warm interactions are often followed by paranoid accusations. Protect yourself by keeping the interactions brief and by ending conversations following positive interactions.

5) Calmly maintain your perspective.

6) Being alone is his choice, not yours.

7) Respond to paranoia with reason, not ridicule. Do not tease or exacerbate the fear.

8) Point out the consequences of irrational fear but do not minimize or ridicule. Point out the consequences of actualized fear instead.  Why are you anxious? What is the problem? How can I solve the problem? Answering these three simple questions can keep a Hermit calm.

9) Set limits to preserve your own sanity. Step 1: Confirm your separateness with "I" statements rather than "you"

Step 2: Create structure: "I will"

Step 3: Clarify consequences: "I won't"

You cannot sacrifice your life, your sanity and your health to protect a Hermit. Because the Hermit fears living, the only choice is to leave him alone.

Almost everything on this post has been taken from Christine Lawson's "Understanding the Borderline Mother." Do yourself a solid and buy the book. It's available at most booksellers and is one of the most invaluable reads on Borderline archetypes. Good luck and  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

eeyore

Relationship status: in a relationship

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 05:02:52 PM »

well everyone here will be supportive.  It does start with you.  It sounds like you are to the point that you just can't take it anymore.  
strongbutwobbly

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 02:04:42 AM »

WOW 2010 that is it exactly! 

His mother is vile, well vile one minute and lovely the next. After his latest suicide attempt she sent me lots of hate letters saying she was taking me to court for slandering her sons good name in saying he was mentally ill and needed help. It was awful she would send the police round here on silly ploys as we wouldnt answer the phone. SHe is awful. My husband has a strange relationship with her... .he always runs to her from here though - I dont understand that. He is so afraid of her yet he runs to her.  He had her baned from the hospital as she upset him so much - oh and punched me in the head, she also does this teeth baring growl thing to me to get off him when I was holding his hand at his bedside.

SO yes, we are both hermits, he chooses to be, I made myself as his paranoia and jealousy made it impossible for me to leave the building. I would come home to him in a right state if I did. SO we only ever went out together, not socially either but just to the shops or for a walk.

I have been told to put my energy into my future and not research and delve into his world by reading books but thats from my Dad! I feel the need to clarify and comprehend though.

My Husband has robbed me of ME and now I live in fear and dont know what to do. I felt I was doing what a good and loving partner would do and threw all my energy into getting him better, physically and mentally. He has always talked of suicide, he says he wants to have the means to do it (so has a bottle of Nitrogen Gas for this) and feels comforted by the fact he has his exit stragtegy there if he wants it. Last time he took over 300 Oxycontin 80mg tablets. He went off into the woods and hoped not to e found. But he was. I understand how tired of life he is, I know he finds it very hard and doesnt like to be this way, but he wont seek any help either.

When I moved in with him it included my 3 children but it didnt take me long to see they should be with their Father so I let them live with him. I could see my Husband couldnt cope with them full time. He has a back injury which (he says) affects his mental health and makes him less able to tolerate things. I had them 7am to 7pm when the kids bio-Dad would pick them up on the way home. They are happy with that though. My Husband was good with them in the beginning.

SO should I be the one to file for Divorce or is it best if he does it? What is safest for me?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest