Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 09:26:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do BPD's have emotion or memories  (Read 889 times)
buttoninn

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: divorced

« on: August 15, 2010, 09:29:55 AM »

The hardest part right now is that everywhere I go and everything I do reminds me of her just 6 weeks after break up. She is already living with someone else that she has only known for 7 weeks. Does she not have any memories of us, is she able to completely forget about the 8 years we had together? She posted a comment on a bar website "the she wished she had been there" and it was a bar that only she and I had ever been to while riding on my motorcyle. We spent a lot of time on that motorcycle even several overnight travels. A week after we broke up I thought that if I rode by her house on the bike that it might envoke some emotion or memory of us on the bike. Instead she went to the police and filled out a stalking/harrassment complaint.

Every sexy piece of clothing she owns I bought, does she feel nothing when looking in her closet? Like others on this board she held some of my personal possessions captive until last week and when I tried to pick them up she called the police and after a lot of negotiating she agreed to let a mutual friend watch as I loaded what was mine out of her garage. In the 5 weeks since she broke it off she had found every last thing of mine in her house and put it in a pile in the garage. Is that because she hates me or just can't stand to see things that might remind her of me? She kept telling me not to show up because she didn't want to see me because it would hurt her, hurt her because she still cares? Wow just too many thoughts.
atwitsend
formerly "back in hell", "nosurrender"

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 09:54:01 AM »

Been posting on exactly this the past couple weeks. I'm 1 mos. out of an 11-year relationship with an udpwBPD. The simple answer, I think, is that once you've been painted black, you're basically a non-entity to them--they've moved on whether it be physically or emotionally.

She, too, is holding some of my personal possessions captive (passport, birth certificate, mail etc.)... .On top of that, we shared a summer home which also contains many of my personal possessions. I've tried innumerable times to get them, says she wants to be there when I get them and has done nothing but continually stonewall me. I've been trying very hard to make some sense out of that. I mean wouldn't a normal person just want to get the crap--and me--out of her life completely?

I vacillate between thinking that it's because she knows that once I get my stuff, we are done forever or thinking that she just wants to punish/control me since she has so little control over anything else in her life. I hope for the best cause I love her despite her BPD, but hope is waning daily.
havana

Relationship status: Widower

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 10:15:57 AM »

Excerpt
punish/control

I think this is it.

Life is short. Shorter for some than others.
TonyC
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: single

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 10:54:04 AM »

yeah button you would think certain things would trigger,... .

but no,...

the clothes the jewelry... and things you did and stuff you bought,... dont matter ... .

i think we are painted black... so those things she feels entitled to... .

so when she puts on the sexy out fit... she thinkin the son a of a hit_ should see me now...

but its her thoughts she chooses... .and she is okay with that,

and chances are one day new guy will be done with her... .and those very same items will now once again be nice memories,., and thats why when you are with someone else... your very happy with.

she surfaces... .missing the times with you... .

its hard to wrap your head around im sure... .

donate your time... to yourself... .

The_411

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 12:04:45 PM »

The hardest part right now is that everywhere I go and everything I do reminds me of her just 6 weeks after break up. She is already living with someone else that she has only known for 7 weeks. Does she not have any memories of us, is she able to completely forget about the 8 years we had together? She posted a comment on a bar website "the she wished she had been there" and it was a bar that only she and I had ever been to while riding on my motorcyle. We spent a lot of time on that motorcycle even several overnight travels. A week after we broke up I thought that if I rode by her house on the bike that it might envoke some emotion or memory of us on the bike. Instead she went to the police and filled out a stalking/harrassment complaint.

Every sexy piece of clothing she owns I bought, does she feel nothing when looking in her closet? Like others on this board she held some of my personal possessions captive until last week and when I tried to pick them up she called the police and after a lot of negotiating she agreed to let a mutual friend watch as I loaded what was mine out of her garage. In the 5 weeks since she broke it off she had found every last thing of mine in her house and put it in a pile in the garage. Is that because she hates me or just can't stand to see things that might remind her of me? She kept telling me not to show up because she didn't want to see me because it would hurt her, hurt her because she still cares? Wow just too many thoughts.

Buttonin,

TonyC nailed it. While we would try to get rid of things which cause us painful memories. PwBPD like to use it as fuel for their anger (when you're painted black) and as an item of attachment when you're painted white to lure you back.

PwBPD feel they are entitled to anything they receive. So all those sexy clothes she wears she feels like she was entitled to them becuase in her disordered mind she feels like those clothes were restitution for your bad behavior.

They can't detach from you because they try to keep all options open. Hence the reason they hang onto your things. They can be used an excuse for her to contact you.
buttoninn

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 03:07:36 PM »

I just wanted to post that day I think that I am starting to pull through. Sure I am still bothered but I still have access to her email and watching her notes to her now new lover is actually theraputic as I watch her use    "Many men from my father up have always made it hard for me to believe. I was very honest with R*(me)* on things and he left me.  I hate being alone. I have been most of my life and now I have you."     and know that she is just setting the hook for this, her next victim.

The best two things that have happened to me in the last 3 days have been "The 15 Styles of Distorted Thinking" and "Surviving the Break Up with Someone Suffering with BPD". The 10 items under Surviving the Break Up are hard to read and except but they sure are the truth.

Best to All,
seeking balance
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 03:26:30 PM »

I just wanted to post that day I think that I am starting to pull through. Sure I am still bothered but I still have access to her email and watching her notes to her now new lover is actually theraputic as I watch her use    "Many men from my father up have always made it hard for me to believe. I was very honest with R*(me)* on things and he left me.  I hate being alone. I have been most of my life and now I have you."     and know that she is just setting the hook for this, her next victim.

The best two things that have happened to me in the last 3 days have been "The 15 Styles of Distorted Thinking" and "Surviving the Break Up with Someone Suffering with BPD". The 10 items under Surviving the Break Up are hard to read and except but they sure are the truth.

Best to All,

Buttoninn, I can tell you are getting more insight and it might seem that watching her hook the next victim is helping you right now.  I did my own watching of the phone texts; but that behavior is really damaging in the long run.  It is still keeping your "BPD drug" close to you.  Let go - it was really hard for me to just let go and accept that it is what it is.  If reading her email is helping you let go, great - just be careful you are not using it to keep the crazy energy around you since that feels familiar now.  The withdrawls of being with a BPD can be brutal; but to heal we all have to go through them.  Keep posting and keep reading, you will be OK.

Faith does not grow in the house of certainty - The Shack

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 04:20:42 PM »

Excerpt
I thought that if I rode by her house on the bike that it might envoke some emotion or memory of us on the bike. Instead she went to the police and filled out a stalking/harrassment complaint. Sure I am still bothered but I still have access to her email and watching her notes to her now new lover.

This is a problem disguised as a solution. The solution is to continue taking hits of pain and the problem is that your solution feeds an addiction to pain.

Excerpt
Every sexy piece of clothing she owns I bought, does she feel nothing when looking in her closet?

Buying her clothing was about you- not her. In order to understand personality disorders, you have to understand object relations. People are the most useful objects to give life to subconscious fantasies. Those fantasies in Borderline are persecutorial- so male or female borderline, they pair up with people who will try to dress them as objects- and then erupt in anger and frustration when the clothing doesn't do it's magic as it should. And a part of that is the frustration at not being able to be their own object- with the freedom to be and do and wear whatever clothes they like. Borderlines have never been able to detach from others to become their own person- so they become adults that need hosts in the World- And those hosts give them life as well as personalities of the host. Borderlines mirror in order to feel they can control the host and they do that with controlling behaviors that look an awful lot like true love, especially since they are mirroring your deepest desires.

You could have looked at her longingly for the rest of your life- but she's going to turn you into a sadistic control object because of your desire to see her as an object. This is also why sex is used as well. Neither of those have anything to do with acceptance and genuine love. A Borderline does not know the difference because she's never had those- she's only had to please a cruel and sadistic mother object that didn't allow her to be herself. Hence the eruptions of frustration which can include any of the compulsive buying, exercise, eating, drinking, cutting, sex, piercings, tattoos, anger, etc. solutions.

So off she goes to attach to a new person. "I hate being alone" is code for "rescue me." But until she becomes aware that the need to please (clinging) means she objectifies herself and loses her freedom *again* to be truly loved for her SELF (without the clothes, without the sex) she will continue to feel annihilated as a Human being and persecuted (which turns into self- hate) and this triggers the Borderline impulsive behaviors of seeking out replacement hosts (hopping off one Man to another.)

Expect that the new relationship will be the same as yours- and given 4 months, will begin to show signs of push/pull. She may return to you or she may not- at this point the more you stay involved in watching her every word, constantly checking the email and never leaving the computer because it's your last connection with her- the longer it will take you to assume some responsibility for your own direction in life and HEAL.

Sometimes this voyeurism is what people need to let go of the objectified fantasy of who they thought the person was. But it really includes letting go of what you thought you were in her eyes. That mirroring is pretty heady stuff and very addictive. Now that it's gone, you'll need to understand it for what it was. 

If you're going to use the access to her email to prove that she is mirroring someone new - be aware that seeing your name will make you furious and damage you further unless you understand the Karpmann drama triangle and why she needs to appear victimized in order to find a rescuer. 

Be aware of the irony that your spying on her email is playing right into how she is painting you- as a persecutor. So in a way, you are proving her right to the new guy that she needs protection. Also be aware that one day her password may change and you'll be symbolically cut off and feel horrible all over again. Until then, do what you must, but eventually you'll need to turn away from them and focus on rebuilding your self rather than using the email as a hit of the blowtorch. Every little burn will take you further and further away from rebuilding and letting go.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

gh444

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »

Excerpt
Karpmann drama triangle

Thanks for mentioning this one. Hadn't heard of it before. Very useful.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karpman_drama_triangle

Cheers, gh444

buttoninn

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 05:16:01 PM »

2010: Thank you so much for all of the insightful information. Yes I realize that I need to move on and past the email thing. I had initially only gotten into the email because I had send pictures a couple of years ago that did still happen to be in her saved email file, which I deleted. I am glad that I had access so that I learned that she had this ex-con moving in so that I could get the rest of my personal belongs out of her garage before he either damaged or sold them.

At this point I have little interest in knowing what she is doing from here on. I live 300 miles away and have little reason to see or contact her going forward. It has already gotten to the point where I do not discuss her with our mutual friends and YES the less I know the better I feel everyday.

I will continue read these boards and other info on BPD in order to try and avoid future BPD relationship and do actually hope that she never attempts to contact me again but if she does I will try and be prepared to deal with it appropriately.

Again thanks to everyone for there input it has all been beneficial. God Bless and have a great evening.

Benny

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 06:14:09 PM »

Peopl with BPD suffer from a lack of object constancy which = out of sight,out of mind.

Object constancy develops in early childhood but pwBPD miss out on it and studies have shown that they are emotionally equivalent to a small child,their emotional development has been severely stunted for various reasons therefore object constancy does not develop and this feeds into their abandonement fears.

Their lack of this emotion coupled with lack of empathy means that when a non has been painted black and the pwBPD has moved on to a new lover they dont think about the previous relationship in the same way a non who is suffering does,they are wired very differently to us.
Intent_to_learn

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 06:59:41 PM »

Excerpt
But it really includes letting go of what you thought you were in her eyes.

No truer words... .
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest