Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 03:09:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone's ex a psychology major?  (Read 646 times)
2idealistic

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: single

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 09:54:52 PM »

Probably. So many of these people have had extended tours of duty on a therapist's couch that I'm sure "personality disorder," if not BPD specifically, had been discussed at some point.[/quote]
My ex foolishly (or cleverly) noted in her unsuccessful harassment claim against me at work that she had "been in therapy for years," and never had been "diagnosed with bipolar disorder" whereas I had disclosed to her that I had suffered a unipolar episode (when I was a junior in college and descended into depression over the loss of a childhood friend to suicide).  The pride she took in presumably exposing publicly a vulnerability of mine spoke volumes to me in several ways--that she stigmatized depression, mostly--and, now, upon reflection six months later that she may have actually encountered a therapist at some point who suggested that she had a personality disorder.  One would think that after having been in therapy for years (she and I were in a relationship for a little over two), some of which, no doubt touched upon her childhood trauma(s), that one or more therapists might have deduced that her tendencies were symptomatic.  Quite naturally, she never mentioned anything of the sort to me.
Unreal

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 08:55:07 AM »

Excerpt
BPD makes people more sensitive and intuitive to pick up on others feelings and "vibes". This is what being a good therapist is all about.

People with BPD may claim that they are good at picking up on other's feelings, but that may not be accurate.  They certainly may be focused on such things within personal relationships.  However, the therapy context is much different and I'm skeptical that there would be an advantage for a therapist to have BPD tendencies.  At best, I would think it would be neutral, depending on the therapist's ability to keep things professional.  At worst, it could be quite destructive.   

Empathy is an important characteristic in a therapist, but I think there are other more pressing qualities.  Psychology is a science.  A thorough understanding of that science is important.  An effective therapeutic milieu is created by more than just the presence of empathy.   

PotentiallyKevin
Formerly "Mobocracy"

Relationship status: Separated since Nov 30, 2009

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 05:22:49 PM »

Excerpt
BPD makes people more sensitive and intuitive to pick up on others feelings and "vibes". This is what being a good therapist is all about.

People with BPD may claim that they are good at picking up on other's feelings, but that may not be accurate.  They certainly may be focused on such things within personal relationships.  However, the therapy context is much different and I'm skeptical that there would be an advantage for a therapist to have BPD tendencies.  At best, I would think it would be neutral, depending on the therapist's ability to keep things professional.  At worst, it could be quite destructive.   

Empathy is an important characteristic in a therapist, but I think there are other more pressing qualities.  Psychology is a science.  A thorough understanding of that science is important.  An effective therapeutic milieu is created by more than just the presence of empathy.   

I COMPLETELY agree with you Unreal. I don't buy into this "hypersensitivity" that borderlines supposedly possess. The only "hypersensitivity" that I have observed, is to NEGATIVE stimuli - and a lot of the times it has no reality basis... .

I read somewhere that pwBPD have an overabundance of empathy, and it gets them in trouble... .um no - by definition, all cluster B personality disorders LACK empathy. Empathy requires mastering the concept of "self vs other" which is the hallmark deficit of BPD, and what really distinguishes BPD from NPD or HPD, where pwBPD lack an authentic self. How can you even begin to have empathy for others, when you are incapable of truly identifying with your own feelings... .I think people are confusing sympathy with empathy. There is a huge difference.

And yes, I will agree that pwBPD may have an overabundance of sympathy - at least when it reflects well upon them for doing so.

po·ten·tial  adj.
1. Capable of being but not yet in existence; latent: a potential greatness.
2. Having possibility, capability, or power.
3. The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.
4. Something possessing the capacity for growth or development.
hotapollo

Relationship status: married for 10 mos

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 07:36:41 AM »

Mine is!

My uBPDW has major in psychology and works with early childhood development. Has worked with childern in trauma and crimes in jails n stuff.

Dosent look like she is much attached with her profession!

Again older sister... .totally into men, has sent her husband away and is exploiting him, and mother is a 19yr old in a 60yr olds body... .

Waht an uncanny resemblence to many BPDwives here!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest