Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 08:49:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Poll
Question: Have you experienced emotional incest in your family?
No - 12 (5.2%)
Yes, as an invasive parent - 18 (7.8%)
Yes, as a left-out parent - 6 (2.6%)
Yes, as a chosen child - 109 (47%)
Yes, as a left-out child - 37 (15.9%)
Yes, as a spouse of a chosen child - 10 (4.3%)
Yes, in another or mixed roles - 40 (17.2%)
Total Voters: 232

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Have you experienced emotional incest in your family?  (Read 5601 times)
arbutus

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 01:00:13 PM »

Wow never identified this behavior but always thought it one of the more creepy aspects of mom.

My sister was the chosen and would have to sleep with her most nights especially when she was depressed. Poor sis having to put up with mom crying and lonely. When they lived together without me (a couple of times) she also didn't have her own bed. I don't know the effect on my sister but she is okay now.

Mom would tell us things about her sex life, have us do her hair and show us her lingerie for when going out "for the night" with her obsession. We were her sounding boards for that unhealthy "relationship" She also told us inappropriate sexual information about our dad when he was younger (when they divorced). TMI to the nth degree.

She sleeps with my 9 year old sister, often kicking her new husband out. Also when I come over the couple times a year she tells my little sister that I'm sleeping with her (I'm 30 years old) and I put my foot down and remind her everytime that I am an adult and I sleep on the couch. I resent that she is setting me up to disappoint my sister who thinks of it as a sleepover.

Now she acts like a prude about sex like an innocent child. Whereas before she was the opposite. Now if there is kissing even in a movie, its all embarrassing and oh my goodness.

Weird weird weird.
Anonymous Daughter

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 05:46:31 PM »

I haven't really talked about this before... .One time my family and I were travelling and we stopped at a gas station for a bathroom break. For whatever reason, probably at my mothers request, I went into the washroom with her. She did her business and then it was my turn, for whatever reason I couldn't. I told her that I didn't feel comfortable peeing in-front of someone else. She exploded at me and said that the only reason I wanted her to leave the washroom was so that I could masturbate. This has always disturbed me. She always would go the bathroom with the door open at home and it always bothered me, I never did the same. How hard is it to close the door?
BehindTheWall

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »

Now I'm thinking this may be part of why I feel obligated to spend at least some time with my mom (versus going NC).  For a long time (don't know when it started, but I'm sure she did when I was a teen, maybe earlier) she's told me just about everything she thinks, including complaints about my father and wanting to die.  And I've had to reassure her that she was a good mother and comfort her when she was feeling down.

Funny how my dad is the one I actually want to spend time with, but don't (I always somehow knew I wasn't supposed to because my mom would be jealous), but there's no obligation or guilt there -- he has his own life and friends and never burdened me with his problems, aside from telling me that my mom was upset and I should do something about it.
arbutus

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 12:12:53 AM »

I felt that way, anyway, when my mom "changed" back into the little girl/waif. I remember going underwear shopping when I was about 20 and she used to be alllllll about the lacy sexy stuff and then she was MORTIFIED and REALLY UPSET when I picked them up for consideration. Only white plain granny panties now. That actually was the point that I consciously recognized that I was dealing with an entirely different person! Though I actually honestly didn't mind... .This one is much more tolerable.
AppleChippy

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 06:47:52 AM »

When my mother retired from the military she had a very hard time finding work and was very depressed.  I remember I was probably 10 years old, one time she drove us to the copy shop and sent me in with a dollar to get her resume copied, not telling me anything about what she required.  I went in and waited in line, the clerk looked at me while he was helping someone else and sent me over to a self copier.  WTH did I know about this?

I came back to the car and gave them to her and of course self copiers have all kinds of little marks and smudges on the copies and she freaked out on me and then gave me a sobbing, silent treatment for more than a day.

She said to me, mostly in her behavior and not in so many words:

Didn't I know that resumes had to be extremely clean copies?

How could you do this to me?

You're so stupid!

I don't have the money to copy them over again, it's your fault that we're poor!

I was so scared and angry with her for sending me to do this task I wasn't prepared for, that she didn't prepare me for, and that she then punished me for.

Later in life, when I was in college, she wanted me to call around to companies in her industry to get the names of the hiring managers because I lived in the same state as the city she wanted to work in.  Somehow since she was out of state, it was better for me to call.  I made 2 calls and decided I was done with that task.  If she wanted a new job, she could call herself!

At least as a semi-adult, I could finally see that it was wrong of her to make me responsible for her finding employment.
BattleBornMom

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 09:48:48 AM »

I never knew about this until I read it about on this site not long ago. I would say I definitely experienced this as both a child and an adult. However, it was just such a "normal" part of my mother-daughter relationship, I didn't recognize it was wrong. Even as an adult I just assumed my mom was more "needy" than she ought to be.

My experiences:

--I have ALWAYS felt responsible for my mother's emotional, mental, and somtimes physical well-being.

--My mother had no sex life so that, thankfully, wasn't a problem. However, her and my dad were so distant (had separate bedrooms on opposite sides of the house) and disliked each other so much that my mom had no one to recieve any level of physical comfort and/or love from. So, she took it from her kids.

--She often slept with me in my bed until I was old enough to feel very uncomfortable about it and told her to stop (repeatedly before she got the message). Then she made me feel guilty about it, as if I was denying her something important.

Note, I'm not agaisnt co-sleeping with infants and young children. I actually think it is very natural and can be quite healthy and beneficial to the family as a whole. My DH and I co-slept with our DS until he was 10 months old and sleeping through. We still co-sleep with our DD who is 13 months old and will until she is sleeping through. But there is a big difference between sleeping with baby that wakes during the night to nurse and sleeping with a tween who doesn't want to share a bed, imho.

--She has never had many friends, so I was always required to take on that role for her. She always wanted me to participate in her hobbies, like the things she liked, and "hang" with her all the time. When she moved in with me as an adult, it was my fault she was bored all the time. I didn't have time to take her places and do things with her like she had with her exSO. Somehow I was a bad daughter for that.

Some mother-daughter bonding of this type is good, I think. But when mom becomes completely reliant on me for all aspects of her social life, entertainment, hobbies, etc. then it becomes a real problem, I think.
peace8

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »

Emotional incest is the perfect way to describe it. My mother told me I was her "best friend." She used me as her therapist and told me all about her childhood abuse, her sex life, how much she hated my dad and his family, and how great and elite "her" family was. She never referred to cousins as our cousins, or our aunt, it was always her cousins and her aunt. My parents were violent towards each other but no one protected me, I had to protect my younger siblings from being scared and calm my mother down after the fight. I've always felt responsible for her moods and happiness. As long as I agreed to everything she said it was fine. The minute I disagreed she went off in a rage telling me how she's given up her life for her children and this is how I repay her? By making her so angry? She said she gave up getting married a second time so we wouldn't have a step dad. She wouldn't work so she could stay home with us. Blame and guilt constantly. And then when I graduated from college she said it proved she was a great mom and I was smart because she did homework with me and got me on the right track. Nothing was mine, everything felt like hers. She hated my friends and put them down any chance she got, then would tell me how she didn't know how anyone could stand to be around me. As an adult I'm expected to hang out with her and listen to her nonstop complaints about everything and make her feel better. She's mad she can't see her grandchild everyday, "her only joy." How's that for pressure? The boundaries I put in place caused a huge rage on her part. No contact it is. Now that I have my own family I just can't take it anymore.

amckayn

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2011, 01:19:01 AM »

Excerpt
She allways yells that I'm her daughter and hers only.

She blames me for not being thankfull enough for all the sacrifies she has made for me.

When she is suicidal she uses me as an excuses because I don't support her unconditionaly.

When I started reading this thread I didn't think it could apply to me... .and then I read some of your comments, guys, and it made me shiver.   

Recently my mom has been abusing me so badly (to my face and behind my back) that I've decided to go NC with her. She's even tried to bully my grandma into not calling me anymore. Yet when my grand mother said no, that would be there for me because she loved me, my mom literally *screamed* at her: "NO ONE LOVES MY DAUGHTER MORE THAN ME!"

In hindsight, I find this quite disturbing.

Also, yeah... .it's been years since I've been comfortable with my mom touching me or hugging me. It always made me feel very uncomfortable, as it there was some sexual undertone she wasn't aware of. I don't have issues hugging or kissing my dad or grandma on the cheek. Just my mom.  ?

When we all lived together, we'd go wake up my younger brother by... .massaging his butt, just like when he was a baby. It wasn't overtly sexual, but I've always found it strange, considering he was 18 then... .but I now I find it downright creepy.   

Eww.
CrazyNoMore

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2011, 10:30:04 AM »

Ensis was mother’s favorite and caretaker/therapist, chosen to manage her “good” moods, and was rewarded for it. They ... .would coo over each other and soothe each other in ways that I was jealous of ... .Mother also used ensis to abuse me by proxy.

I don't think my enSis is/was BPD, but this really resonated with me.  I can remember my uBPDM and enSis sitting on one side of the living room whispering to each other while I sat on the other side of the room, alone.  There would be furtive glances at me, and then more whispering.  (Geez, can you get any more "mean girl"?)

I ... .was chosen to manage mother’s bad moods, and was punished for provoking them.   

Yup. 
isilme

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2011, 04:37:18 PM »

I'm not sure about this... .

I know my mom liked to talk to me as her BFF, from a very young age, about everything, including her sexual relationship with my dad, but I don't know if that behavior has any 'label'.

After they divorced and I lived with Dad, and even before, he liked to make jokes to me to, "Walk like you've got a pair," and he'd jerk my shoulders back (I slouched a lot) to shove my chest forward, much to my embarrassment.  This was often in public places, like shopping malls.  He'd also made comments about my rather wide hips at times, "I made you that way on purpose," ? in front of my step-mother of just a short time.  At the same time, though, he told me my legs were too big for shorts and knee-or-higher skirts, like he thought people were starting up them. 

He and Mom both were very bad about inappropriate, sexually tinged humor around me.  But I was not molested - no on touched me, except the doctors Mom liked to drag me to for pelvic exams. 

Even before the divorce, and deferential after,  I guess he felt he should be able to talk to me about anything and everything, and I felt so lost, lonely and unwanted that any attention was welcomed.  I felt that I was the lady of the house (apartment) and I should do all 'grown-up' things, like iron his clothes and cook/clean and listen, grocery shop - all the stuff I'd felt guilty Mom didn't do, and I was trying to be a better person than her.  I was very mixed up, and afraid he'd want to get rid of me at anytime, too.  He was preoccupied with his worries, trying to get a job, life-disappointments and all, and being stuck with a teen daughter didn't help.  He wasn't home a lot after a while, and I was left to fend for myself when he was out late working or courting my step-mom.   

So I think I played substitute wife for a few years, between the ages of 14 and 19.  Is this what this post is talking about? 

august2000

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2012, 05:52:29 PM »

I was the chosen child/scapegoat of invasive uNPD father who complained bitterly in secret to me about  HIS uBPD wife, MY mother. I always knew I was one nano second away from being the focus of the same poisonous rage he felt toward her.  Between this and their raging battles, I was a very nervous child.  To this day mother is baffled as to why I was nervous.

Burke

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2012, 05:54:44 PM »

Ever since I was young, I always felt that my Mom was waaaaaaaaaaaaay too close for comfort.

I was her crying towel, her unpaid therapist, and the unwilling (and disgusted) recipient of dozens of sexual overtures - she wanted a young boyfriend, not a son. Just writing that makes me want to puke and then jump off a bridge.  
doubleAries
Retired Staff

Relationship status: single

the key to my destiny is me

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2012, 06:18:32 PM »

!

I voted yes on this, as "another or mixed roles" because I don't know yet where I fit. Need to read this again. My first thought was "what is emotional incest?" Then read what it is and my stomach hurts now.

My uBPDmom and my who knows what father (he actually acted kind of like a waif) were divorced when I was an infant. He fought for custody of me, so she turned him to the draft board and he was sent to Vietnam. When he returned, he never dodged his visitations with me, even though it must have really sucked dealing with my mom. I was his only child, but have 3 half brothers (1 older, 2 younger) through my mom.

My father always took me to the big amusement park, out to lobster dinners, bought me whatever i asked for (only if i asked and i rarely asked). but it didn't occur to him to buy me school clothes, shoes, or take me to the doctor or dentist, which i really needed. I was so starved for affection (my mom was a horribly severe witch BPD and i honestly can't remember her EVER saying "I love you" to me even once while i was growing up) that my fathers attention looked fabulous to me. yes, it devolved into a few instances of actual physical molestation as well.

Oh, man--I feel sick. just when ya think ya got this BPD mess all figured out---OMG. there's always MORE!

We must come to know we are more than anyone's opinion--including our own
GreenMango
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2012, 07:27:28 PM »

Having a parent like this is a real great way to not ever learn boundaries.  One because you are not allowed to have them. And two bc they make it very hard to keep them once you've found some.

It's a process.  Like the survivors guide. Discover a little.  Make changes.  Get accustomed to changes.  And then right when you think you get a handle on it.  Another discovery.  Maybe its a good one like reengaging a healthier relationship, sometimes its more dysfunctional parenting stuff.

One foot in front if the other.  Looking at ways to help ourselves.

I'm constantly working on boundaries.  How are you handling it?

GM

doubleAries
Retired Staff

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 04:00:22 AM »

I have a HORRIBLE time with boundaries! And you're right--they weren't allowed. My mom just screamed and raged her way through life and it wasn't possible to "ignore" because she would become physically violent.

My father on the other hand, was more insidious. He was unfailingly polite and "reasonable" and made it so I felt really bad to ever disappoint him. After I was an adult, he basically turned me into his personal slave. When he was married to my (3rd) stepmom, he tried to get me to have a threesome with them. I didn't do it. It was horribly disappointing, because I was 21 years old and pregnant, had just been dumped by "the love of my life" and father of the baby, and I really, really needed my dads help. And here he was, coked up and obsessed with sex.

Later, after stepmom #3 finally divorced him, he became "ill" and wouldn't get out of bed unless he had to, and began to gradually turn me into his slave. He'd call in the middle of the night and say how sick he was, that I needed to rush to help him, and when I'd get there (300 miles away!) he'd send me to the grocery store with a detailed list of very specific items (sizes and styles and brands of products that weren't easy to find) and if I messed any of it up, he'd pout and throw it away and sigh loudly (acting like--but not actually saying--that I was incompetent). Then the next list--take his poodles to the groomers, clean the house, etc, etc, etc.

He died 12 years ago, and I felt guilty because I was so relieved. For so long, I was torn, because on the one hand, he fondled me a few times growing up (first time at 7) and acted very sexually inappropriate sometimes, but on the other hand, he was so polite, and smart, and reasonable, and NICE (compared to my mom). It seemed, in some ways, like his death ended the whole mess. which of course, it did not.

I'm seeing a therapist once a week. ":)ad" is our next topic. I also ordered a copy of this book that the poll comes from. This is good advice, GreenMango--discover. Change. Adapt to changes. Then discover more.

But CRAP---I only learned about BPD 2 months ago! Now this! Sometimes life doesn't give the luxury of small bites when we can handle them. It's OK, though. I can assemble the picture of what I'm up against and just start taking bites of it.

Boy, this really hits home about boundaries. I have a big problem there. I have learned a lot about getting past the verbal and physical abuse, but apparently have a ways to go dealing with the sexual and emotional abuse.

Sigh... .well, it is what it is... .

JoyfulGirl

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 11:50:44 AM »

Wow! This term is exactly what I experienced. I never had a way of expressing it fully. I still am the golden child, and my mother although she is in T, still needs me to support her all the time.

She invited me to a church picnic yesterday. I was at my dad's house and I have a TON of things to do before I start my new job 1,000 miles away in June. She was so hurt and mad at me for not attending, but why would I want to go? I don't know anyone in her church, there is no one there my age and all she does is cart me around and tell everyone about me.

I hate it. And she was so mad at me. I felt like a mom who didn't go to her daughter's basketball game... .

I am missing all of the nurturing, discipline, and love from my mom and I hate it. She doesn't get it at all though... .
Tygeress

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 03:16:40 PM »

When I was about 5 years old I remember have a fight with my uBPD mother. I remember shouting "You're a BAD MOMMY!"

After raging, my mother hid in the bathroom and cried. I felt terrible so I apologized to her and told her how much I loved her to console her. And then she said:

"Remember, you can always hurt me more than I can ever hurt you."

And because I was 5 years old, I believed her. From that point on, I felt responsible for her happiness. I felt responsible if she was sad, mad, I felt responsible for the marital problems my mom and dad were having. Whenever they fought, I was the problem solver. I remember once writing notes begging her to unlock the bedroom door during one of their fights.

Excerpt
I was so scared and angry with her for sending me to do this task I wasn't prepared for, that she didn't prepare me for, and that she then punished me for.

Totally relate. She would send me to mail an international letter or address invitations and yell at me when I didn't know how to do it or did it incorrectly. When she never taught me how to do it in the first place.

Silver lining: I am a great problem-solver as an adult!

GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 03:35:17 PM »

Doublearies-   you didn't deserve any if that treatment.  And learning about mental illnesses can be totally overwhelming.  Taking it slow, being really kind to yourself, and doing those things like T are positive steps.

I think you are stronger than you realize.  Looking at the whole thing in one fell swoop can be so.overwhelming.  But in small bits its more doable.

There's a pretty great workshop on boundaries here on Ftf.  You are not alone in working on these and they can be really difficult because it goes against the grain on everything we've been taught.

Joyfulgirl-

Once there's a name to what's going on it can be that ah ha moment.  A parent with BPD can be like an overgrown child.  Their immediate needs seem to trump ours... .even when your in the process of moving for a new job.  I mean seriously the guilt trip over this is pretty thoughtless.

BPD manifests in some distinct ways... .lack of identity (relying in kids to fulfill this and no clear boundary between themselves and us) and lack of empathy (putting themselves first) are a few.  It doesn't make it any less painful or inappropriate.  But if you know what your dealing with it may help to refine your approach to protect yourself.

Do you have support through this?

Tygress-

It's awesome you found a silver lining.   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

GM

MomsBestFriendNoMore

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 03:49:09 PM »

As you can probably tell by my username, YES, I was the chosen child (and only child) enmeshed with my uBPDmom   
GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 03:55:18 PM »

MBF

That must have been a diffcult situation to navigate out of.  Sounds like you've come out of the FOG.  

GM

MomsBestFriendNoMore

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »

MBF

That must have been a diffcult situation to navigate out of.  Sounds like you've come out of the FOG.  

GM

Getting there  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)   with help from this board!     
RKV

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 11:19:31 PM »

This is a very tough subject for me. I might post more later but for now I'll just say that my relationship with my mother when I was a kid was disturbingly close to this description. She has been extremely invasive/overbearing in my life. I was treated like an adult when I was a child and am now treated like a child when I'm an adult. She told me what classes to take in HS, singed me up for things and basically made decisions for me about anything important, even into adulthood. I wasn't given much opportunity to make mistakes and grow.

My sister and I used to be extremely close. But things started to get weird. If you look at some of my past posts you'll see what I mean. She would tell me intimate details about her sex life, would drunk dial me multiple times a week, and has actually asked me "anatomical" questions . It's like she feels like I'm the only "safe" male in her life but it's very very creepy at times.
claudiaduffy

Relationship status: Married (going on 1 year)

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2012, 12:39:15 AM »

The first time I heard the term "emotional incest" (incidentally, before I knew what BPD was), I knew exactly what it meant and that it was what I'd been looking for a term for since I was quite young.

Compared to many of you, what I had to put up with was mild.

-used as an emotional soundingboard anytime she felt my father didn't love her enough

-treated the times my father and I spent together with suspicion, like I was stealing him from her - "You don't love ME like you love him. Why don't you want to sit next to ME at dinner? Why did you get so excited about a trip with him and not with me?" This didn't apply constantly, as one of her complaints about him was that he wasn't involved enough in his children's lives (I have no clue why she thought that... .he was really a good dad, except for not seeing how much we needed to be rescued from her), so she liked it when he chose to spend time specifically with us... .you could see her fighting herself on what her response was going to be

-she loved to make my sister and I uncomfortable by allusions to sex. For example, on a road trip, we're all comparing notes on our favorite things - favorite smells, tastes, sounds, and so on - and I asked what everyone's favorite sensory feeling was, expecting things like "a rabbit's fur" or "strong wind on my face." Mom just got that smirk on her face and smugly said "I can't tell you my favorite feeling. It's something only for married people." I was probably nine years old at the time and knew enough to have a vague idea what she meant. But it was that kind of thing constantly.

-she also wanted me to be her personal little facial groomer, helping pluck her eyebrows and stray hairs on her chin/throat/etc. This absolutely disgusted me, especially since she wanted to lie with her head in my lap so I could 'see them easier.'

-the emotional crap got much worse as I got older. While she refused to let me date all the way through my first four years of college - until I finally stood up for myself and told her that since they were no longer supporting me, I was going to make my own choices on the matter - she cried to me from my late teens on about things like ":)addy doesn't kiss me like he used to", "I tried saying something flirty to Daddy and he made a mean face at me," all the way to "You have no idea how much I miss him having sex with me. Now he won't even look at me. It's been so long since I've been touched... ." dissolving into sobs - all while getting progressively more suicidal, putting all the pressure on me to cheer her up as I used up calling card after calling card in our hall commons phone.

Nowadays I don't put up with it, but she still tries. Usually she'll try to back into it - "Oh, I wanted to let you know a praise report about my life. I asked God to help me be nice to Daddy on our anniversary and not expect anything from him, and when I hugged him he didn't jerk away from me, even though he didn't hug me back, and the Lord helped me to be happy about that instead of being sad... ." I finally had to tell her that I can't listen to any topic that involves my dad. He finally left her a few months ago, and that kind of thing eased up, but just this week she was wanting to know if I ever talked to him and if it was him who called me or if I was the one who called him... .

Sigh. I wish I had a robot to send to her to help ease her misery. She IS miserable. I certainly can't fix it, and much of it is her own doing, but her lifelong feelings of abandonment finally have some basis in reality now.
doubleAries
Retired Staff

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2012, 01:56:34 AM »

Green Mango, I'm not locating the workshop about boundaries you spoke of in your reply... .where can I find it?

This is so creepy! But all these things I have learned in the past 2 months are also a relief. There are actually names for this garbage!

I never thought i'd ever be able to explain my mom to anyone--ever. Come to find out, she's a text book witch BPD! And my dad--that always seemed even more complicated. An example: when I was 14, my mother shipped me off thousands of miles away to "the brother Roloff's home for girls"--a fundamentalist Baptist "attitude adjustment" private juvinile hall of sorts. My dad sprang me from there after a few months of hellish abuse and torture (seriously--google this place up!) and had me come live with him. I was pretty shell shocked for quite a while. I'd been living at my dads for only a few weeks when he had this party at his house and all his friends were drinking hard and using cocaine. The later it got, the more grotesque it got, with my dad making all kinds of sexually explicit jokes and innuendos. After everyone finally left, he and my stepmom got into a big argument and he came into my room and crawled into my bed and started fondling me, breathing booze breath on me and sniveling how (stepmom) was being mean to him and he needed some affection and couldn't get it from her so basically it was my job, and I owed him the "love" he "needed". These weren't his words of course--his words were more self pitying and manipulative. I finally got him to go away after a lengthy argument about whether I was a virgin or not, and the next day he acted like it didn't happen. When I brought it up, he acted like I was rude and unreasonable and being controlling. Wasn't too much longer before i ran away from "home".

Sunny Skies

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2012, 07:32:40 AM »

I don't know if this counts as emotional incest, but there were many times that I felt like my mother treated me more like a significant other than her child.

In my 20's is when my parents really started having marriage problems. Whenever my parents were fighting, my mother would act like my new BFF. Confiding in me all of her problems with my father.  But as soon as my parents made up (for the time being),  she would get sort of distant with me. Sometimes even cold towards me.  And then when they were fighting again, she would get into BFF mode again.

Or when my father would go away on business during the week.  At that time,  I was the BFF.  But when he'd come home on weekends,  my mother would treat my like a dumped significant other.  Just a totally different behavior towards me.  And this pattern would continue.

Several months ago before I went NC,  she told me that I was her "best friend".  For some reason that made me uncomfortable.  I told her that my husband was my best friend, and that shouldn't her husband be hers?   And she told me "Up until 10 years ago,  he WAS my best friend."

10 years ago is when they started having marital problems and have chosen not to seek counseling for it.

But there have been other things too.  Like when she'd get annoyed with me if I didn't want to go to church with her, or if I didn't want to go shopping with her, or if I didn't want to pursue a specific career that she thought I should.

There was absolutely no mutual respect in the relationship.  She would sometimes ridicule me or make fun of me or criticize me.  But if I were to do the same to her?  She'd go running to my father in tears and he'd start yelling at me like a bully.

Meanwhile I'd watch my GC brother get treated like an adult.  And he would often be rude to my mother, like a brooding teenager (even though he's in his early 30's). But my mother would never get offended by his rudeness.  

I'm not saying I should be allowed to be rude towards my mother,  just showing how unbalanced her behavior is depending on who she's dealing with.
GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2012, 01:59:33 PM »

Sunnyskies,

Yeah parents over sharing or having one lean on us in inappropriate ways during times when the other parent is absent falls into this too.

When parents don't have the emotional maturity to self soothe or problem solve their stuff in appropriate ways can get put on the kids.  Gripeing to the kids about dad when he's fallen short of moms expectations is also a form of triangulation and a lack of boundaries.

Doublearies,

Here's the link to the boundaries workshop https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=132527.msg1298413#msg1298413 .  I bumped it so it should be on the front page.of coping.

GM

Puttingittogether

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2012, 04:10:41 PM »

Oh, yes.  Up until a few years she truly believed it was her God given right to talk crap about dad when he wasn't around.  She did this all my life.  One of my sisters has a story that once upon a time dad came to her with tears in his eyes and said "Your mother has turned all you kids against me."  I felt awfully sorry for him before I saw his significant, SIGNIFICANT, role in our upbringing.  Spineless jellyfish!  I shut her down a few years ago and long before I knew about this condition/evilness by saying "You shouldn't talk to me about your relationship with dad.  That is between the two of you and it is WRONG to include me."  I watched her come apart like a cassette tape in an old Pontiac.  She gathered herself together mighty quickly though.  What made her come apart was not the knowledge that it was wrong.  She knew that.  What made her momentarily, and you had to be watching closely, was that I KNEW IT AND SAID NO.  She never tried it again with me.  Ain't that a surprise? 

One summer day I was out riding a bike that was probably too large for me and hit some gravel and went sliding on a hip.  I didn't break anything but I was hurt and there was huge amount of skin scraped off of me.  I had long learned not to come home expecting sympathy from her.  Instead you were likely to get raged at.  However, I really was having a bit of trouble walking and I was bleeding everywhere and I knew I had to have help.  Can you imagine being that age and injured and knowing you have to go to the only person for care and that the person will likely injure you more?  I had to though.  Sure enough... .rage, rage, rage.  No doctor though and we were rich with great insurance.  She had me sleep for quite some time in a little slip that maybe wouldn't cling to the open wound so much.  One day she came into my room and gave me this incredible disapproving look up and down my body and said to me "You shouldn't dress that way in front of your father.".  I was NINE.  I got the message.

Emotional incest?  YES
ScarletOlive
Retired Staff

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2012, 01:49:13 AM »

When I was a kid, she_

beckgiz

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2012, 02:53:37 AM »

I dont even remember a time when I really got to be a child, it was always me that had to look after my mother and sisters as well as all the other day to day things, cooking,cleaning and of course I had to be ready with a shoulder to cry on for my mother depending on her mood at the time. Usually I was either "the only one that understands her" or "completely useless and trying to ruin our family" its amazing how many others out there have been through this as well! I just dont understand how this happens in so many households all over the world and yet people still seem to turn the other cheek.
NonBPD Solo

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »

I think I'm starting to understand the whole emotional incest thing.  My uBPD mom pulled this behavior quite often.

When I was a child she exuded this behavior in the following ways:

1. Forcing her kids to like the same things she liked (crafts, clothes, etc.).  If you expressed that you liked something else she would make snide comments or tell you she was hurt depending upon the situation.

2. When any of her kids (there were 3 of us) was not sitting with her in the family room in the evening after dinner, she would constantly call you to come downstairs and sit with her and watch TV.  She did not like us actually sitting alone in our rooms.  We did not have any privacy.   But when we did sit with her in the family room, she'd then be on the phone with a friend of hers for the entire time we were there. 

3. Random Sunday afternoons she would get us into the car to 'take a drive' because SHE would feel cooped up at home.  She was (and still is) a very high-energy, constantly on-the-go type of person.  She cannot just sit and relax.  To this day, I still feel guilty sitting inside and watching a movie on a 'nice' day.  I always feel like I should be outside enjoying the day.  Working on that one.

Today:

1. She tries to get me to look at pictures of my cousins' kids and talk about how she's found out the latest info about our relatives who won't interact with us anymore (not her fault, they're just as screwed up,etc.).  She tries to pull the emotional heartstrings on me when she wants me to join in her lamenting over our non-communicative relatives. 

When I push back and decline her constant requests, she flips her perspective to ' well I don't care about what they do anyway'.  The next time I see her she's back to getting all emotional about them and the latest news she's heard about them.  It really is 'crazy-making' behavior.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest