Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 06:30:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do they know what they are doing to us?  (Read 1659 times)
Crystal Ball

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 10:54:31 PM »

Nobody wants to be told they are different, let alone with something as fragile as our personalities. 

My uBPDxbf would tell me he was 'different'.  He couldn't understand why the rest of the world didn't see things his way. Of course, his view was the correct one. 

I never thought about this until now.  Idea   I wasn't aware of BPD until after we broke up.
JWS

Relationship status: Unavailable for now

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 01:32:47 AM »

Nobody wants to be told they are different, let alone with something as fragile as our personalities. 

My uBPDxbf would tell me he was 'different'.  He couldn't understand why the rest of the world didn't see things his way. Of course, his view was the correct one. 

I never thought about this until now.  Idea   I wasn't aware of BPD until after we broke up.

Oh my Lord. My uBPDxgf used to always say to me, your different you "get" me. What a hook that was huh? Oh she saw the world her way all right!

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2010, 08:21:53 AM »

1)   Unpredictable behavior is the hallmark of the disordered.

2)   Unpredictable behavior eventually becomes predictable.

3)   The behavior is compulsory. The behavior is done to everyone. Do not take it personally.

4)   Anger about being the recipient of bad behavior is the first stage of protecting your heart and getting away and healing.
brenbabe

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2010, 08:48:37 AM »

2010, I am so glad you posted.

What do you think?  Do they know they are hurting others or are they totally unaware?
paul16

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2010, 01:26:06 PM »

Again... .try replacing disordered with f****d up. It sounds less clinical.

Disorders are someone's opinion. So is f****d up.

I am a very shy person. Some would call that "social anxiety disorder."
Josefina

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2010, 03:32:55 PM »

I still love my BPD after a 5 crazy years of a r/s that went on and off. they do know what they are doing but they can't help it. My ex told me one day I wish I can go off for 4 months and do my own thing and come back and all will be ok. She meant her "own" thing being unfaithful, cheating and having a r/s with someone else, just for the fun of it. She had at least three r/s going at the same time. I was one of them. She at the end told me finally She knew how I felt because she was finally "in-love" with this new person. Why does she tells me this? when she knows I till love her?. She states she does not want to hurt me but yet comes to my house and attacks me physically to show her "new" love that I mean nothing? after 5 years? I still feel sorry and want to help but I can't. I need to help myself first. Now, all doors have been closed. No phone, no text, no emails... .her new"love: forbid her to communicate with me. She is so lost control of her life and I feel sorry. I still want to help. But, she always knew what she was doing... she planned everything believe or not... .=( why do they always have the upper hand?, why do we have a site to know how to deal with them? since we "need" them so much? why don't they have a site to understand the "normal" best and deal with "us". Why are they so special and we cant move on and they do? is this fair?
TonyC
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: single

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 03:34:43 PM »

no its not fair...

but the thing is... .your ex does not feel like shes done anything wrong... .

Josefina

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2010, 03:45:43 PM »

Yes, last time I met her  a couple of month ago I said to her: you need to apologize... .and she asked me... .for what? I was disgausted of how fresh and guilt free she felt. Like she did nothing. After she had cornered me and jumped up and down as a little kid and stated and screamed at me... .all I wanted was an appartment that you will get for me... you are so stupid honey... I just love my new bf. he was there in the room. She manipulated him to bring me into the room and she proceeded to attack me. Why do I still feel she has something good to offer, because I understood her childhood traumas? and I listened and validated her life and stories, ? because I trusted her and was willing to give my life to her? ... was it nothing to her? did it mean nothing? I can not just accept and believe that///It ois not possible that someone can be that heartless and inconsiderate... She looked at my eyes and said I love you. I believed that... .

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2010, 12:31:48 AM »

Excerpt

Excerpt
Ok, so if they know what they are doing , why is it called a disorder? Sounds to me like this is just crappy mean selfish and even dangerous behavior coming from an emotionally immature person.

Well, let’s start off with the crappy mean selfish and even dangerous behavior vs. disorder debate.  Messed up behavior can be a mistake. (We can easily forgive people for mistakes.)  If the messed up behavior is done again- we have every right to suspect that the behavior is no longer a mistake but a *choice.* (Healthy people usually make a choice to learn from and take care not to repeat their mistakes.)

If the messed up behavior is done to us again- we can safely say that there’s something afoot here, perhaps a patterning of behavior that is a good predictor of future behavior down the road.  If the messed up behavior continues and we know that the person knows that its wrong- then we can safely say it’s a compulsion.  Compulsive behavior is any distorted behavior that’s done, not because they *want* to behave that way- but because *they feel they have to* -in order to exist.   Often the compulsive behavior is the reason for the diagnosis of the personality *dis*order.

A disorder means there’s a few behavioral wires crossed that are noteworthy in causing difficulties. The behavior becomes a part of the personality.

Which brings us to the age old riddle: if a tree falls down in the forest and there’s no one there to hear it- does it make a sound?  Yes/No? Ok. What if the tree falls in front of a deaf person?  :)o they hear a sound?  The answers lie in our perception of the exact nature of sound.  What it means to us might be different to someone else. That goes for abuse too. Surely it means something different to us all.

If we take that riddle further and ask: if a person does crappy, mean, selfish and even dangerous behavior and there’s no one there to witness it- does it still count as crappy, mean, and selfish behavior? The answers lie in our perception of our idea of abuse and how it applies to us.  Surely abuse means something different to us all, but it does undermine the nature of trust.

What we perceive and what we choose to believe about ourselves (being the recipients of bad behavior) says allot about whether or not we feel we can control (trust) whether it happens again.  Calling it compulsive behavior determines what we cannot do a thing about it.  It is a part of a personality now.  A compulsion is done to everyone.

Most people come to the site thinking they did something to cause this wonderful person to be so cruel. It is hard to let go of this idealized figure that mirrored and adored us.  It is a great loss to suffer after finally finding them; finding meaning, companionship, compatibility.  This person was a dream come true and now they're gone. They have been replaced with an unfit, sick impostor who cruelly and sadistically tortures us and sees our reaction but just doesn’t care that we are in pain. Why does this person who idealized us at one point now make us feel so badly? Did they ever care?  It’s almost as though they are playing a game and they just don’t care who they hurt.  Unknown to you, there is a reason for this behavior and there is a pattern that emerges from both sides.

That’s where Harry Stack Sullivan comes in.  Harry Stack Sullivan was the very first psychoanalyst to mention the “significant other” and our roles in personality disorders.  Sullivan said, well, thanks Freud for all that clinical psyche stuff and all, but a SELF really only matters when it comes into contact with others.  So if we return to our riddle again and ask: if a person does crappy, mean, selfish and even dangerous behavior and there’s no one there to witness it- does it still count as crappy, mean, and selfish behavior?  According to Sullivan, the best measure of a Man is in how he treats us.  Because of this, we can only know him in the terms of how we interact with him.  In other words, we have to pay attention to his "actions," not the words he writes or what we project (think) is going on “inside” his head.

Sullivan also gave us an idea of the motivations of the SELF and the possibility that it could get lambasted and twisted up by early teachings by parents. He wrote about the woes of the infant finding out that he was not really the center of the Universe as he once thought: “Once upon a time everything was lovely, but that was before I had to deal with people.”  He described the infant’s solution to dealing with these other personalities in life by creating a series of interlocking I-YOU behaviors for protection against anxiety, which Sullivan felt gave the infant “security.”

In I-YOU definition, if I act weak and helpless, then my Parents will protect me. If I smile when my parents want me to smile (mirroring) then my parents will smile and mirror me back, etc.  Everybody’s happy! Pretty soon an I-YOU pattern emerges that can be counted on.  The kid says, hey! This stuff works!

Sullivan noted that sometimes these I-YOU definitions got stuck in rigid, ritualistic ideals of the parent which dominated the child’s reactions. These ideals of themselves were sometimes anxious and consequently got stuck in I-YOU definitions of mistrust which were then carried into their adult lives, completely overlaying onto other people their incorrect perceptions, in turn stripping those same people of their very individuality and turning them into echoes and shadows of the escaped from- hypercritical, parental figures that existed in their head.

Sullivan called these behaviors parataxic integrations, and he noted that such action-reaction combinations became rigid and dominated the thinking pattern, compulsively responding in actions and reactions toward the world as the adult now sees it but not as the World really exists.  The resulting inaccuracies in judgment Sullivan termed parataxic distortion, when other people are evaluated and perceived to be familiar based on the child’s patterns of previous experience.

So, Borderline follows a series of rewarding and withdrawing behaviors. In female Borderlines’ the rewarding behaviors are interlocking I-YOU’s with Waif/rescuer and Queen/King combating each other for dominance and submission.  The Witch makes an appearance between acts for a cleansing rage when the rescuer doesn't rescue or the King laughs/controls/mocks the Queen.  The Hermit comes into existence later on when the pain that’s felt is too much to handle. (At that point the Borderline sort of retreats into obscurity.)  In male Borderlines’ the rewarding behaviors are interlocking I-YOU’s with Orphan/rescuer and King/Queen combating each other for dominance and submission.  The Warlock makes an appearance between acts for a cleansing rage when the rescuer doesn't rescue or the Queen laughs/controls/mocks the King.  The Hermit comes into existence later on when the pain that’s felt is too much to handle. (At that point the Borderline sort of retreats into obscurity.)

That is, in I-YOU definition, if I act weak and helpless, then you, like my Parents, must be solicitous and care taking (female Waif, male Orphan). If I am gorgeous, then you must be admiring of my beauty (Queen, King) and so on. Pretty soon an I-YOU pattern emerges that can be counted on by the Borderline. If I do this, you’ll do that- like clockwork.  If it doesn’t work, the provoking anxiety turns to rage (the Witch/Warlock are either passive aggressive or they act-out to keep control- if that doesn't work then *poof* withdrawing behavior- and time to search for a new rewarding "interlocker" that is, if one hasn't been found and lined up already.)

It is a pattern.   Borderlines fail at living productive lives and instead repeat the same unsatisfying actions over and over again in repetitious compulsion to re-live their childhood thoughts of persecution and slavery.  Borderlines live in a revolving door process.  There is an opening and there is an exit on this spinning chamber- but once they get you inside they hope to stay still- but other people in their head (that you are unaware of) keep pushing them around and they keep distorting who those persecuting people actually are.  Quick guess: it’s now you.

Rather than telling you exactly how they feel-(controlled and persecuted by childhood demons) they are intrapsychically re-working masochism and sadism through their relationship with you.  They are doing to you exactly what they feel was done to them by their childhood caretakers and they are watching you carefully spin around as you die by a thousand sadistic paper-cuts.  You are a stand-in for Mom and Dad.  Meanwhile, they re out the revolving door.

This isn't just mean spirited behavior.  It's compulsive. This behavior was in place long before you came into the picture.   If you take it personally you will not heal.  :)o not seek revenge or worse, try to spend your life arguing with them. You have to learn that a compulsion is behavior that’s done to *everyone*- it is painful and self-serving for them- but pointless and stupid at the same time. It never accomplishes what it sets out to do- to overcome the initial battle with people that exist and persecute and live inside their heads.  That's not your job to get in there and figure it out for them- they'll only see you as their hypercritical parent.  This is all about distortion and it's what got you here.

Either way we must admit to ourselves that it is a pattern, and it is a pattern that repeats itself in inter *actions* with others.  (I think that’s the light bulb that goes off when people first google and come to this site.)  Eureka, I didn’t cause this. It’s not because of me. There is a pattern, it is behavioral, and it is a compulsion.

The fused, idealistic coupling that you shared with this person must go away. You'll begin to mend when you get some distance from the addictive intensity of the I-YOU interlock that suffers from such great distortions and mistrust. You should be angry over the betrayal but just enough to reasonably understand that this isn't a shameful experience that you caused- It was actually a great gift of seeing yourself mirrored and adored- but not realistic. This thought will eventually give way to sadness and that will work it's way out of your heart with pangs of wanting and hopes for a reconciliation to prove to yourself that I'm wrong. These doubts will lessen when you review the behavior. You'll begin to see it for what it was, a scripted, one sided arrangement that facilitated their distortions of you and gave them errors in judgment over who you were.  The only way to prove them wrong is to stop engaging and giving them what they want (a persecutor) and walk away.

it’s* not*your* fault* this happened Idea

JWS

Relationship status: Unavailable for now

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2010, 01:18:53 AM »

Excerpt

Excerpt
Ok, so if they know what they are doing , why is it called a disorder? Sounds to me like this is just crappy mean selfish and even dangerous behavior coming from an emotionally immature person.

Well, let’s start off with the crappy mean selfish and even dangerous behavior vs. disorder debate.  Messed up behavior can be a mistake. (We can easily forgive people for mistakes.)  If the messed up behavior is done again- we have every right to suspect that the behavior is no longer a mistake but a *choice.* (Healthy people usually make a choice to learn from and take care not to repeat their mistakes.)

If the messed up behavior is done to us again- we can safely say that there’s something afoot here, perhaps a patterning of behavior that is a good predictor of future behavior down the road.  If the messed up behavior continues and we know that the person knows that its wrong- then we can safely say it’s a compulsion.  Compulsive behavior is any distorted behavior that’s done, not because they *want* to behave that way- but because *they feel they have to* -in order to exist.   Often the compulsive behavior is the reason for the diagnosis of the personality *dis*order.

A disorder means there’s a few behavioral wires crossed that are noteworthy in causing difficulties. The behavior becomes a part of the personality.

Which brings us to the age old riddle: if a tree falls down in the forest and there’s no one there to hear it- does it make a sound?  Yes/No? Ok. What if the tree falls in front of a deaf person?  :)o they hear a sound?  The answers lie in our perception of the exact nature of sound.  What it means to us might be different to someone else. That goes for abuse too. Surely it means something different to us all.

If we take that riddle further and ask: if a person does crappy, mean, selfish and even dangerous behavior and there’s no one there to witness it- does it still count as crappy, mean, and selfish behavior? The answers lie in our perception of our idea of abuse and how it applies to us.  Surely abuse means something different to us all, but it does undermine the nature of trust.

What we perceive and what we choose to believe about ourselves (being the recipients of bad behavior) says allot about whether or not we feel we can control (trust) whether it happens again.  Calling it compulsive behavior determines what we cannot do a thing about it.  It is a part of a personality now.  A compulsion is done to everyone.

Most people come to the site thinking they did something to cause this wonderful person to be so cruel. It is hard to let go of this idealized figure that mirrored and adored us.  It is a great loss to suffer after finally finding them; finding meaning, companionship, compatibility.  This person was a dream come true and now they're gone. They have been replaced with an unfit, sick impostor who cruelly and sadistically tortures us and sees our reaction but just doesn’t care that we are in pain. Why does this person who idealized us at one point now make us feel so badly? Did they ever care?  It’s almost as though they are playing a game and they just don’t care who they hurt.  Unknown to you, there is a reason for this behavior and there is a pattern that emerges from both sides.

That’s where Harry Stack Sullivan comes in.  Harry Stack Sullivan was the very first psychoanalyst to mention the “significant other” and our roles in personality disorders.  Sullivan said, well, thanks Freud for all that clinical psyche stuff and all, but a SELF really only matters when it comes into contact with others.  So if we return to our riddle again and ask: if a person does crappy, mean, selfish and even dangerous behavior and there’s no one there to witness it- does it still count as crappy, mean, and selfish behavior?  According to Sullivan, the best measure of a Man is in how he treats us.  Because of this, we can only know him in the terms of how we interact with him.  In other words, we have to pay attention to his "actions," not the words he writes or what we project (think) is going on “inside” his head.

Sullivan also gave us an idea of the motivations of the SELF and the possibility that it could get lambasted and twisted up by early teachings by parents. He wrote about the woes of the infant finding out that he was not really the center of the Universe as he once thought: “Once upon a time everything was lovely, but that was before I had to deal with people.”  He described the infant’s solution to dealing with these other personalities in life by creating a series of interlocking I-YOU behaviors for protection against anxiety, which Sullivan felt gave the infant “security.”

In I-YOU definition, if I act weak and helpless, then my Parents will protect me. If I smile when my parents want me to smile (mirroring) then my parents will smile and mirror me back, etc.  Everybody’s happy! Pretty soon an I-YOU pattern emerges that can be counted on.  The kid says, hey! This stuff works!

Sullivan noted that sometimes these I-YOU definitions got stuck in rigid, ritualistic ideals of the parent which dominated the child’s reactions. These ideals of themselves were sometimes anxious and consequently got stuck in I-YOU definitions of mistrust which were then carried into their adult lives, completely overlaying onto other people their incorrect perceptions, in turn stripping those same people of their very individuality and turning them into echoes and shadows of the escaped from- hypercritical, parental figures that existed in their head.

Sullivan called these behaviors parataxic integrations, and he noted that such action-reaction combinations became rigid and dominated the thinking pattern, compulsively responding in actions and reactions toward the world as the adult now sees it but not as the World really exists.  The resulting inaccuracies in judgment Sullivan termed parataxic distortion, when other people are evaluated and perceived to be familiar based on the child’s patterns of previous experience.

So, Borderline follows a series of rewarding and withdrawing behaviors. In female Borderlines’ the rewarding behaviors are interlocking I-YOU’s with Waif/rescuer and Queen/King combating each other for dominance and submission.  The Witch makes an appearance between acts for a cleansing rage when the rescuer doesn't rescue or the King laughs/controls/mocks the Queen.  The Hermit comes into existence later on when the pain that’s felt is too much to handle. (At that point the Borderline sort of retreats into obscurity.)  In male Borderlines’ the rewarding behaviors are interlocking I-YOU’s with Orphan/rescuer and King/Queen combating each other for dominance and submission.  The Warlock makes an appearance between acts for a cleansing rage when the rescuer doesn't rescue or the Queen laughs/controls/mocks the King.  The Hermit comes into existence later on when the pain that’s felt is too much to handle. (At that point the Borderline sort of retreats into obscurity.)

That is, in I-YOU definition, if I act weak and helpless, then you, like my Parents, must be solicitous and care taking (female Waif, male Orphan). If I am gorgeous, then you must be admiring of my beauty (Queen, King) and so on. Pretty soon an I-YOU pattern emerges that can be counted on by the Borderline. If I do this, you’ll do that- like clockwork.  If it doesn’t work, the provoking anxiety turns to rage (the Witch/Warlock are either passive aggressive or they act-out to keep control- if that doesn't work then *poof* withdrawing behavior- and time to search for a new rewarding "interlocker" that is, if one hasn't been found and lined up already.)

It is a pattern.   Borderlines fail at living productive lives and instead repeat the same unsatisfying actions over and over again in repetitious compulsion to re-live their childhood thoughts of persecution and slavery.  Borderlines live in a revolving door process.  There is an opening and there is an exit on this spinning chamber- but once they get you inside they hope to stay still- but other people in their head (that you are unaware of) keep pushing them around and they keep distorting who those persecuting people actually are.  Quick guess: it’s now you.

Rather than telling you exactly how they feel-(controlled and persecuted by childhood demons) they are intrapsychically re-working masochism and sadism through their relationship with you.  They are doing to you exactly what they feel was done to them by their childhood caretakers and they are watching you carefully spin around as you die by a thousand sadistic paper-cuts.  You are a stand-in for Mom and Dad.  Meanwhile, they re out the revolving door.

This isn't just mean spirited behavior.  It's compulsive. This behavior was in place long before you came into the picture.   If you take it personally you will not heal.  :)o not seek revenge or worse, try to spend your life arguing with them. You have to learn that a compulsion is behavior that’s done to *everyone*- it is painful and self-serving for them- but pointless and stupid at the same time. It never accomplishes what it sets out to do- to overcome the initial battle with people that exist and persecute and live inside their heads.  That's not your job to get in there and figure it out for them- they'll only see you as their hypercritical parent.  This is all about distortion and it's what got you here.

Either way we must admit to ourselves that it is a pattern, and it is a pattern that repeats itself in inter *actions* with others.  (I think that’s the light bulb that goes off when people first google and come to this site.)  Eureka, I didn’t cause this. It’s not because of me. There is a pattern, it is behavioral, and it is a compulsion.

The fused, idealistic coupling that you shared with this person must go away. You'll begin to mend when you get some distance from the addictive intensity of the I-YOU interlock that suffers from such great distortions and mistrust. You should be angry over the betrayal but just enough to reasonably understand that this isn't a shameful experience that you caused- It was actually a great gift of seeing yourself mirrored and adored- but not realistic. This thought will eventually give way to sadness and that will work it's way out of your heart with pangs of wanting and hopes for a reconciliation to prove to yourself that I'm wrong. These doubts will lessen when you review the behavior. You'll begin to see it for what it was, a scripted, one sided arrangement that facilitated their distortions of you and gave them errors in judgment over who you were.  The only way to prove them wrong is to stop engaging and giving them what they want (a persecutor) and walk away.

it’s* not*your* fault* this happened Idea

This is by far IMHO, an excellent read and one of the best observations I have seen on this forum. Thank you 2010. Highly insightful and helpful.
David Dare

Relationship status: broke up in 10-2009

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2010, 02:04:45 AM »

Slam dunk by 2010!  I love it!    Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)    
Josefina

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2010, 07:07:48 AM »

Yes indeed! Thanks!
Derrah

Relationship status: separated summer 2009

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2010, 11:14:58 AM »

I take caution anytime I hear someone in the mental health community use a diagnosis which includes the word disorder. There are hundreds of disorders listed in the DSM-IV. I have some traits from about 1/3 of them.

So do you... .

Good point. Everyone has traits of SOMETHING in the DSM. It's just a matter of how well we are able to function. When someone is impaired in their ability to make and maintain close interpersonal relationships (family, friends), maintain employment, and has other difficulties that interfere with achieving a meaningful life, that really is a disorder, don't you think?

Just found this thread. I think it raises really interesting questions!
Derrah

Relationship status: separated summer 2009

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2010, 11:25:16 AM »

I believe they know what they are doing but are helpless to a certain extent, to stopping themselves. I would tell my ex he was cruel and that I felt helpless but he didn't stop. One thing about this disorder is I think many are extremely impulsive and don't have normal social skills.

I think you and I may be around someone annoying and we could "bite our tongues". They don't really seem to have that filter.

This is similar to my experience with my uBPD/NPDh. At a moments notice he would begin verbally tearing into me like an attack dog tearing into flesh. I would cry out to him and tell him, "You are destroying me with your words and behavior." Most days, he would just escalate. Every now and then (rarely) it's as if there was a crack in his defenses - he would become tender and say, "You're right. I'm sorry. You don't deserve any of this." And then, within minutes or hours (never longer) the wall would go back up and verbal attacks were fair game again. I wonder if he really looked at his behavior if he would have the ego strength to bear the monster he has been to me and our children. Sad... .
brenbabe

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2010, 11:31:21 AM »

2010, thank you so much. Your post really says it all.
Totoro13

Relationship status: single

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2010, 12:34:39 PM »

Well written 2010.  Thanks for sharing that. Smiling (click to insert in post)

As a wrote somewhere in this thread... .the pattern of being aware of the problem but instead of trying to change just repeating a bad decision over and over and over again each time a similar situation happened was what I saw in my ex. really raises the red flag.

We all probably at one time displayed some behaviors on the list for BPD, but the big difference is when we except that when we crossed the line sometimes/mess-up  we can/do change that behavior next time.  Someone with BPD just continues to repeat the behavior. 

I actually had this conversation with my ex before we split.  When we were at the end of the relationship he had listed things he didn't like that I did and I listed my list of his actions.  Even with a list and talking about it his behaviors continued with no change, yet I listened to his complaints and change.  I brought up that I seem to be able to change my behaviors yet he doesn't change his.  This is also the time he was projecting on to me that I was the one with BPD.  When I mentioned his lack of change that really set him off bad.   He seemed aware of his compulsion and what I was saying was true.

His relentless accusations that it was all me and that I was crazy did after awhile make me think that it must be me.  This was one of the conversations and things I was trying to work through that made me see it wasn't me.  Over and over again I changed and tries harder and there was NEVER any change on his side.  He would say the right things but his actions did not match his words.  For 20 years he would try to say the right thing but his behaviors where opposite to his words. 

Excerpt
The only way to prove them wrong is to stop engaging and giving them what they want (a persecutor) and walk away.

so true.  I have some issues I'm dealing with the court on things he has done that was way out of line.  I know if they throw him an jail for a few days , which I really think will happen, in his head I just became more and more the villain.  He will never accept it as he can't keep screwing me over and doing thing to "get even" with me.  But maybe he will stop because he doesn't want to be locked up?  Hoping at least.
hiddenlizard

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2010, 12:40:23 PM »

"Messed up behavior can be a mistake."

"If the messed up behavior is done again- we have every right to suspect that the behavior is no longer a mistake but a *choice.*"

"If the messed up behavior is done to us again- we can safely say that there’s something afoot here, perhaps a patterning of behavior that is a good predictor of future behavior down the road."

Thank you, 2010, for all your wisdom but for these lines in particular, and even more for this:

"Anger about being the recipient of bad behavior is the first stage of protecting your heart and getting away and healing."
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest